by gore range
[February 18, 2019, 09:47:50 PM]
More on climate change
by gore range
[February 14, 2019, 11:12:16 PM]
No Topic. Anything Goes.
by NightmarePatrol
[February 10, 2019, 09:18:40 AM]

Author Topic: No Topic. Anything Goes.  (Read 1389252 times)

bighair80s

• Self Important Starfish
Re: No Topic. Anything Goes.
« Reply #6015 on: September 11, 2018, 09:09:33 PM »
Iím learning to use apple Carplay. Itís very useful and even kind of fun.   Iím not going to lie... it takes longer to learn new stuff the older I get...  Even though we have lots of integrated Apple devices and products, the learning curve while not steep is on an incline these days.  Heh. 

I was thinking of considering the apple HomePod speakers,(2 of them will reproduce a high quality stereo surround ))  they are said to be content-constrained pretty tight by apple but have awesome sound.  We probably wouldnít even need feature rich system anyhow but the sound quality and the integration with Apple TV and our other Apple products sounds good. Iím thinking the iOS update this fall will bring more functionality, Iím told Apple Carplay will soon  allow google maps app and Waze on their platform soon.

Anyone here have the HomePod? Any reviews?
"this space for rent"

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #6016 on: September 12, 2018, 02:39:09 PM »
The home pods are reported to have nice sound,m but are not up to par with the Echo or Google Home as far as their functionality. Apple doesn't really care about that though. They want into the speaker market. You can spend a lot of money on wireless speaker systems. The problem is most of the streaming content is really compressed and frankly won't sound as good as a CD will.

Amidala

« Reply #6017 on: December 07, 2018, 05:04:17 PM »
So true, so true....😊🤔 .I will say that I rather enjoy peaceful contemplation, and I think people of faith generally have a kinder world view. Not always, but generally.

https://aeon.co/ideas/the-bad-news-on-human-nature-in-10-findings-from-psychology

gore range

« Reply #6018 on: December 08, 2018, 01:33:35 PM »
....over the decades of world travels I massed a respectable collection of quality analog log speakers augmenting my sound system. I had hard wired the bunker to be able to listen to anything from any source in any room and garage/wood shop in high fidelity, supported by the analog sound management electronics equipment.

....pretty much now all gone the way of the revolutionary compact disc and distributed to numerous thrift shops.

This large peanut butter jar sized wifi speaker is in every room in the alternate bunker. Iím literately stunned, no BS, walking room to room, with its incredulous room filling sound.  A just as impressive woofer and sound bar are available for the big screen. As an old school audiophile, this is aces of aces for the buck in my super secret code book, with no issues noted. And it does talk or listen to me :D

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:18:17 AM by gore range »

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #6019 on: December 09, 2018, 01:14:20 PM »
The Sonos are great for multiroom and are pretty much the gold standard in that category. The Marshall Stanmore is also a great speaker, though they are mono only. The B&W Zepplin is spectacular, but the price tag is equally spectacular.

IC2ITUC

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #6021 on: December 09, 2018, 08:20:39 PM »
Got gas this week at Rehoboth Beach for 2.07.9 per gallon.  I feel sorry for you in PA that have to pay so much.  Rehoboth Beach is a GREAT PLACE to Retire or just plain moving there !
"There are few bargains in parachutes or healthcare"!  "The Mind is like a parachute, it functions best when open"!

bighair80s

« Reply #6022 on: December 09, 2018, 09:29:42 PM »
Iíve hung on to the Cerwin-Vega VS 120ís since the 90ís.  Love love love those speakers.  I did give away my vintage Denon receiver several years back.  Weíve got an updated Denon (connected) a/v system now with Klipsch surround speakers. 
I imagine Apple home pod speakers arenít meant to please the discriminating  audiophile but more compete in voice home assistants market.  I guess I think of it as a hub that can also play music (and play quite well) or podcasts for general use listening.  Iíve already got audio equipment for those times I love to CRANK IT as lifelfeeds  has so many times admonished is to do. 😀
"this space for rent"

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #6023 on: December 10, 2018, 07:23:32 AM »
We have four B&W's in the living room that sound great. The new bluetooth portables are a big mixed bag. The the higher the "portability" the lower the sounds quality. I got my wife one of these to replace her bose that was acting up.  It is a permanent fixture in the bathroom. The sounds quality is much better, but it's also a lot bigger too. There is an even bigger version available, but it's hardly portable.

gore range

« Reply #6024 on: December 10, 2018, 12:13:44 PM »
....itís intriguing to me how ďportabilityĒ has morphed as technology evolved with my birthdays growing in numbers....

....granted the full bunker sound system is pleasing all source wifi these days, tho my Ďnail and hammerí roots still crave Ďnail and hammer' occasionally relish old school aural enjoyment. Iíve snagged a number of the now older analog Thomas replica-old-time AM/FM ďportableĒ radios [with cassette player ;) ] when they were going for $40-ish on da Bay, before supply and demand kicked in now doubling the price.

I do find myself occasionally craving and finding nostalgic comfort in listening to old school AM radio. I even have a couple out back in the converted high desert mile-high dandelion meadow. Something about listening to the static-loaded, cracking live broadcast while twirling the 1940s-esque tuning dial looking for games, oldies, or discussions of no particular interest while sitting under the evening stars in the still wonderous monophonic scratchy quality of my mid-20th century formative years :D .

Then, too, the aural technology in the mile high wood shop spans the analog/digital century as well-

....the more things change, the more they seem to tend to say the same :D ....

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:50:03 PM by gore range »

bighair80s

« Reply #6025 on: December 10, 2018, 08:28:00 PM »
Nice deck configurations.  Cozy.
"this space for rent"

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #6026 on: December 11, 2018, 06:15:07 AM »
I'm more curious about the ducting and the hairdryer. After staring for a while it's not what it I thought it was.

gore range

« Reply #6027 on: December 11, 2018, 07:55:54 AM »
.... :D ....

...I helped a friend remodel a spare bedroom into a home office to work from home in the IT cosmos after he retires next year. I built a tall stand-at walk-around glass-topped desk for him with a large work surface for multiple keyboards and lap tops with abundant work for opened hard copy manuals.

He wanted the desktop clear, lamp and stand alone-monitor free. We put a large monitor on the wall, which now has a second monitor beside that one  because he didnít like the screen-in-a-screen display to watch TV while doing his computer work. I put bright room lights recessed in crown molding around the ceiling molding for when he wants bright light, with a switch mounted in the desk front, but he also wanted a darkened office to keep reflections off his big screen displays. Temporary recessed ceiling light fixtures are seen in the pic, facilitating locating the ceiling light sockets in the crown molding making sure there were no reflections on the screens and glass desk top.

The old house ceiling structure would not allow a recessed directional reflection-free desk light, so I threw together a ceiling mounted desk light which served the purpose, using the original ceiling light wiring.

The ducting in the shop pic was the beginning of building the reflection-free, ceiling-mounted, limited, reflection-free desk lighting. The hair dryer is S.O.P. to remove adhesive labels from objects, like the ducting, heating the pain-in-the-buns label adhesive to easily peel the pesky labels off.

A wifi sonos speaker on the out-side wall foundation edge to the rear of the desk chair reflects sound of the front screen wall making a really sweet and simple clutter-free room-filling sound system.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 08:06:38 AM by gore range »

Lifetime

• Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #6028 on: December 12, 2018, 07:17:48 AM »
Wish I had your talent..Very good...

.... :D ....

...I helped a friend remodel a spare bedroom into a home office to work from home in the IT cosmos after he retires next year. I built a tall stand-at walk-around glass-topped desk for him with a large work surface for multiple keyboards and lap tops with abundant work for opened hard copy manuals.

He wanted the desktop clear, lamp and stand alone-monitor free. We put a large monitor on the wall, which now has a second monitor beside that one  because he didnít like the screen-in-a-screen display to watch TV while doing his computer work. I put bright room lights recessed in crown molding around the ceiling molding for when he wants bright light, with a switch mounted in the desk front, but he also wanted a darkened office to keep reflections off his big screen displays. Temporary recessed ceiling light fixtures are seen in the pic, facilitating locating the ceiling light sockets in the crown molding making sure there were no reflections on the screens and glass desk top.

The old house ceiling structure would not allow a recessed directional reflection-free desk light, so I threw together a ceiling mounted desk light which served the purpose, using the original ceiling light wiring.

The ducting in the shop pic was the beginning of building the reflection-free, ceiling-mounted, limited, reflection-free desk lighting. The hair dryer is S.O.P. to remove adhesive labels from objects, like the ducting, heating the pain-in-the-buns label adhesive to easily peel the pesky labels off.

A wifi sonos speaker on the out-side wall foundation edge to the rear of the desk chair reflects sound of the front screen wall making a really sweet and simple clutter-free room-filling sound system.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #6029 on: December 12, 2018, 08:32:12 PM »
Gee and here I was feeling all accomplished running a new electrical circuit and installing security cameras and a smart doorbell over the last week. I'm and amateur.

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.