Advanced search  
Recent posts
The Trump Administration
by bighair80s
[Yesterday at 11:04:44 PM]
* CLP REPORT *
by gore range
[November 17, 2018, 08:23:50 PM]
Tell us how you hated 8 years of OBAMA and less than 2 years of TRUMP...
by gore range
[October 24, 2018, 10:54:50 PM]

Author Topic: No Topic. Anything Goes.  (Read 1188741 times)

lifefeedsonlife

• Self Important Starfish
Re: No Topic. Anything Goes.
« Reply #5955 on: June 04, 2018, 07:32:12 AM »
Can't beat that!
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #5956 on: June 04, 2018, 05:23:46 PM »
Good stuff. Can I send my kids to hang out with him?

Amidala

« Reply #5957 on: June 12, 2018, 11:01:44 AM »

gore range

« Reply #5958 on: June 12, 2018, 12:44:51 PM »
And then there are the Charlatans....

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/12/opinion/trump-jordan-peterson-charlatans.html
....  ;D ....

....I'll readily defer to the self-enabling distracting oh-look-over-here, charlatan,  both feet in their ink-stained-mouth,  red herring ignoring reality, two-faced, opinionated political-assassination slant of the leading mainstream media liberal sour-grapes loser Pravada-esque fake news "reporting" newsprint rag on this historic morning  :D ....

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #5959 on: June 12, 2018, 03:30:36 PM »
Interesting opinion piece Ami.

". . . and sophists pass off stale pedantries as dark and radical thought, selling millions of books in the process" - or charging a ton in tuition.
I also found this particular line damning all around, especially in the "us and them" discourse that's been peddled for decades by both left and right in America. “They viewed mankind as a totality, seeing persons only in their special functions as buyers — purchasers of nostrums or theories.” Nuance seems a lost thing these days . . . .
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

Amidala

« Reply #5960 on: June 13, 2018, 11:10:38 AM »
Nuance is def lost, Life. BTW, saw you biking on Monday, on The Road Of Many Names ( Cussewago/PA).  Speedy! I was going the other way. 

There are many Charlatans of course, but I could only think  of MT & crew..lol lol

Amidala

« Reply #5961 on: June 16, 2018, 10:40:27 AM »
Here is a very long article from The Atlantic about America's preparedness for infectious disease outbreak. It talks about Ebola in the Congo, infectious disease around the world, influenza, the 2009 H1N1 outbreak. As the oldtimers here know, I was infected with H1N1 before the vaccine got to Meadville and was flown to Shadyside and spent 5 weeks in a coma on life support.  So I am posting this article here, because virology is near and dear to this biologist's heart, and as a nation we really aren't well prepared for a major, true outbreak like the worldwide 1918 flu epidemic.. and its been 100 years.   https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/07/when-the-next-plague-hits/561734/

gore range

« Reply #5962 on: June 16, 2018, 02:41:13 PM »

...bing batta boom :o -

....clearly the exploding school gun violence epidemic issue is much, much more pressing and worrying.... 

Amidala

« Reply #5963 on: June 17, 2018, 10:23:14 AM »

...bing batta boom :o -

....clearly the exploding school gun violence epidemic issue is much, much more pressing and worrying.... 

Since Guns Were Brought Into This Discussion......

Well, it is.  For one thing, guns are a creation of mankind, for the purpose of killing, just as blades and spears were created earlier in man's history to facilitate killing. It has become a human-on-human violence.  We think that as the paramount species, we should be able to control these things but obviously we can't, don't, won't.  We let our 'evil' out and don't seem to want to rein it in - personally, socially, spiritually.. whatever label. 

Virus' on the other hand are part of nature. They bring us illness and death thru a part of the natural order of things - no one but God and/or Mother Nature created a virus.  So there's that difference.  Virus' mutate rapidly, because they are so simple in structure .. we have zero control over that.

Virus', speaking strictly taxonomically, aren't even alive. They do not eat, do metabolism, poop or self-reproduce - they do not fit the strict biological definition of a living thing. They more like creepy bit of proteins and a few other molecules who need a host cell, where they can inject their RNA to cause mayhem in the cell, use the host cell to reproduce and spit out a new virus. They are their own sort of being, not a true cell (like a bacteria), have their own taxonomy (naming system) and so forth.  One hundred years ago, Physicians didn't even know exactly what was killing people in the worldwide Spanish Flu Epidemic, which was H1N1v1918. The 2009 H1N1 was merely a 'taste of things to come.'

[And Prions which cause Chronic Wasting Disease, are even creepier and scarier. Even heat does not break them down, does not kill them. Nothing does that we know of, so far. And we are developing a problem in the PA deer herd. Follow that one if you are hunter.]

But, I think the bigger issue for Homo sapiens is that we are very short-sighted as species individuals.

We operate less and less out of sense of long-term communal concern for our fellow species individuals, for one thing. We now seem to lean to a 'survival of the individual' type of species, not a 'survival of the group(s).' Concern for the well-being of the group. I'm not talking about social welfare, I'm talking about an atmosphere where safety for all, maintenance of the planet's resources, health care, fresh water source, enough food, and so forth are paramount.

We have this false sense of security that as individuals, we can prevail, we can survive. The species likely will prevail, I've no doubt, but not individuals. Death will come to us, sooner or later. I prefer later, having already been near death.

This is what I see with the gun problems and with flu vaccines. We believe that WE as individuals can survive H1N1 or H7N9 or H3N1 without a vaccine, or by using some homegrown, ineffective internet method, ("forsythia") Or that we will never really be a victim of gun violence, or that our concealed carry Ruger will save us, or our armed bunker and so on and so forth.  That's a short-sighted view in my opinion, simply because you may be shot and killed in a mass shooting before you can even draw your weapon. We've seen it happen many times.  We translate our fears into personal safety actions, not communal safety actions. And if a novel virus gets you, it will get you big time. I survived my ordeal only because medicine has the technology, and I had the health care, to keep me alive on life support for 5 weeks while my body healed.  (At least one of you is thinking, That won't happen to ME.}

And so it is with a global pandemic. Will we be prepared, seriously prepared, to fight a rogue virus, to which we have no natural immunity? Its happened before and happened again. I can't tell you how many people know me, know my story and still won't get a flu shot. (Had the H1N1 vaccine been available in Madville before I got sick - I had every intention of getting it - I probably would have still become ill, still survived, but not ended up on life support in Pgh and put my family thru hell.  Just so you know, its takes a minimum of four months to grow influenza virus in an egg and turn it into vaccine. So in 2009 there was a great shortage because the 2009 variant sprung up and spread quickly.

The Species will survive, yes. Individuals, no. In both cases, gun violence and virus'.  And any other threat.  Doesn't it make some sense to try to make the community safer, too? From all sorts of harm?
So get your flu shot, not only to protect yourself, but to protect your neighbor. Let's pass some gun laws to make it a little harder to buy guns, lets lock up guns in the home from teenagers. Not take away guns, but to make life a little safer for everyone. Making some small-but-effective changes won't kill you. NOT making changes just might.

As Ian Malcolm says, "Life finds a way."  ;D
--------

As I wrote this, a question came to mind: Statistically, is a resident on US soil, of any age or gender, more likely to die from a mass shooting or a novel virus epidemic?  This IS comparing apples to stink bugs but I am curious, statistically speaking. :)   [ I never had to take statistics in college. A weak point in my 'edumacation.']

(BTW, the phrase "comparing apples to oranges" is so lame. They are both fruit from dichotomous trees. while their are significant differences, that phrase is better used to compare across Kingdoms or Domains :D   )

bighair80s

« Reply #5964 on: June 17, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »
I get a flu shot AND carry a Ruger .380

if I’ve learned nothing else, I’ve learned how little control we have over many things in life. Mr BH and I live mostly in the day at hand now. It’s a freedom obtained through great adversity. While I live in the day I do take actions to reduce risks so as to enjoy more days.  Those extra days are met with gratitude and I hope from a humble heart.  My belief is these days are precious for sure but I’m not as obsessed about them as before.  I guess you could say that part inside of us that doesn’t completely “live in time “,  has given me a glimpse into other possibilities and that seems hopeful. 

"this space for rent"

Lifetime

• Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #5965 on: June 18, 2018, 07:27:24 AM »
Live for today for sure but.... prepare for the future if you can....

I get a flu shot AND carry a Ruger .380

if I’ve learned nothing else, I’ve learned how little control we have over many things in life. Mr BH and I live mostly in the day at hand now. It’s a freedom obtained through great adversity. While I live in the day I do take actions to reduce risks so as to enjoy more days.  Those extra days are met with gratitude and I hope from a humble heart.  My belief is these days are precious for sure but I’m not as obsessed about them as before.  I guess you could say that part inside of us that doesn’t completely “live in time “,  has given me a glimpse into other possibilities and that seems hopeful.

Amidala

« Reply #5966 on: June 18, 2018, 10:00:03 AM »
But my point is.. there is individual prep and there is social/group preparation, making the world safer, healthier, etc. You are both examples of my point. Its not a right/wrong issue but a choice issue.

gore range

« Reply #5967 on: June 18, 2018, 10:27:54 AM »
 Statistically, is a resident on US soil, of any age or gender, more likely to die from a mass shooting or a novel virus epidemic?

While the US Centers for Disease control does not track actual influenza adult deaths, they do provide mathematical models estimating that US annual influenza deaths, the majority of which are directly people deciding to not get the annual flu-shot, range from 12,000 to 49,000 depending on the year and related mitigating circumstances, and are considered baseline stats by the CDC and not epidemic.

Statistically, a resident on US soil is 266 times to 1,088 times more likely to die of the annual non-epidemic influenza virus illness than they would of a disingenuous liberal fabricated gun mass shootings faux-“epidemic”.

Over the last ten years, per FBI figures, the liberal fabricated US mass gun shooting “faux” “epidemic”......has caused an average of 45 deaths a year.

As previously referenced, statistically, a resident on US soil is 266 to 1,088 times more likely to die of the base-line non-epidemic annual influenza than they would of a disingenuous liberal-fabricated gun mass shootings faux-“epidemic”.

Statistically, a resident on US soil is 144 times more likely to die of a non-epidemic HIV-AIDS related illness than they would of a disingenuous liberal fabricated gun mass shootings faux-“epidemic”.

Very telling is that per the numerous US government agencies’ figures, the non-epidemic reported "HIV-AIDS viral-caused deaths- which are almost entirely directly caused by irresponsible human behaviors and decisions, vs. 
illness and death thru a part of the natural order of things”, are currently running aprx 6,700 a year, and is moving into and expanding in the heterosexual population.

Statistically, while the HIV-AIDS non-epidemic is silently moving into the general population at a staggering much larger rate than the liberal-fabricated mass gun shooting “epidemic”, hypocritical liberals can’t risk quickly being branded judgmental, racist, and homophobic in noting the growing issue.

No surprise it is  the disingenuous liberal- fabricated gun mass shootings faux “epidemic” that sucks  the air out the self-serving fake news Pravada-esque  liberal propagandizing mainstream media news “reporting”, as the statistically non-existent mass shooting gun liberal-fabricated faux “epidemic”  average 45 deaths a year, in a population of 325,000,000, is a easy disingenuous self-serving liberal pickings against the falsely accused racist gun owning majority white populace.

A novel virus, such as the H9N7 strain with its current 30% fatality rate, will cause tens of thousands times more deaths in a year than any liberal fabricated gun mass shootings faux-“epidemic”, and the overwhelming majority of those deaths will be concentrated in the poor liberal-targeted/controlled demographic.

But guns, guns, guns, and the mass shootings  faux-“epidemic”  are the liberal-political fund raising huge pressing concern, and MUST be addressed and eliminated.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:44:59 AM by gore range »

bighair80s

« Reply #5968 on: June 18, 2018, 11:07:44 AM »
But my point is.. there is individual prep and there is social/group preparation, making the world safer, healthier, etc. You are both examples of my point. Its not a right/wrong issue but a choice issue.
Regarding my statement that I get a flu shot and carry a ruger:
 There are people who want to remove my choice for self protection using a firearm, there’s also a group against immunizations...
How far are we allowed to force fellow human beings to care about and act on what’s important to us? Because if it’s allowed, I’d force you all to eat cheeseburgers and travel on vacations out west the rest of your life.  Lol

"this space for rent"

bighair80s

« Reply #5969 on: June 18, 2018, 11:09:56 AM »
On another note.....
Vectron Air Show this weekend!! 😍  👍 🚁🛩
"this space for rent"

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.