Advanced search  
Recent posts
* CLP REPORT *
by lifefeedsonlife
[Today at 11:33:04 AM]
The Trump Administration
by lifefeedsonlife
[July 19, 2018, 11:26:38 AM]
Tell us how you hated 8 years of OBAMA and less than 2 years of TRUMP...
by bighair80s
[July 10, 2018, 11:45:57 AM]
No Topic. Anything Goes.
by gore range
[July 07, 2018, 06:26:30 AM]
....bang bang....
by gore range
[June 29, 2018, 07:40:20 AM]
More on climate change
by gore range
[June 27, 2018, 12:17:55 AM]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: More on climate change  (Read 11857 times)

gore range

• Self Important Starfish
Re: More on climate change
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2018, 09:24:35 PM »

Renewables and natural gas are our future

Gore, that is probably pretty far off as they have not been able to control the reaction to the point of being able to harness the energy. Fusion is probably 15 years away, and that is a projection. The now is natural gas.

[/]

Lifetime

• Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2018, 11:09:03 AM »
Fusion has been the "Philospher's Stone" for decades. Promises that if able to creat and SUSTAIN the reaction...we would all have FREE power. I think in 15 years... IF it happens... we will still be paying large power bills... Someone will always find a way to pee in yer tea!

'scuse me while I go pay my gas and electric bill  ;)

Renewables and natural gas are our future

Gore, that is probably pretty far off as they have not been able to control the reaction to the point of being able to harness the energy. Fusion is probably 15 years away, and that is a projection. The now is natural gas.

[/]

gore range

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2018, 12:26:37 PM »
 I think in 15 years... IF it happens... we will still be paying large power bills... Someone will always find a way to pee in yer tea!

.... :D ....

....from the land of massive & mucho wind and solar farms down under -

bighair80s

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2018, 12:40:50 PM »
Lifetime,

Mr Bh and I visited the Plasma Fusion Science Center at MIT about 10 years back.  The school was going to buy his Tooling and mr Bh donated it to the school instead.  We got invited for a fine tour of PSFC and it’s cool to think mr Bh Tooling  used there as a tiny part of making history. 

Time sure flies. 
"this space for rent"

clp_lives

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »
Paying 44% more in electricity in real terms in the last 10 years, but efficiency gains have cut my actual household electric usage by about the same in the last 4.......  Call it even, not even counting the rise in my income.  ;D

I think in 15 years... IF it happens... we will still be paying large power bills... Someone will always find a way to pee in yer tea!

....from the land of massive & mucho wind and solar farms down under -

gore range

« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2018, 12:58:53 PM »
Paying 44% more in electricity in real terms in the last 10 years

clp_lives

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2018, 02:14:05 PM »
Yes, it does not count the efficiency gains and lower usage into that equation, if it goes up 44%, I use 44% less the net is a zero percent increase.  ;D    If my neighbor wants to pay more and not worry about efficiency it is his money, not mine.  Just today I paid 77 cents each for 60w LED lightbulbs at HD that a few years ago I was told would be too expensive for the average houshold, go figure.

Paying 44% more in electricity in real terms in the last 10 years

gore range

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2018, 02:49:53 PM »

If my neighbor wants to pay more and not worry about efficiency it is his money, not mine. 

gore range

« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2018, 02:51:09 PM »
.... ....

[/]

clp_lives

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2018, 08:06:36 PM »
To put this in simpler terms these "advocates", AKA lobbyists, want a taxpayer bailout to keep a higher cost plant open.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018/04/12/Advocates-urge-Congress-to-keep-large-western-coal-plant-open/5261523556563/

gore range

« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2018, 12:11:43 AM »
To put this in simpler terms these "advocates", AKA lobbyists, want a taxpayer bailout to keep a higher cost plant open.

....like Paul noted in his day-

....now...... the rest....of the story....

.....not quite the leftist sordid tale of big bad corporate profiteers screwing over the tax payer as implied above......not even close :D

Factually, the owners of the Navajo Generating Station, who are a conglomeration of the commercial electrical utilities selling/using the electricity generated at the plant,-

....voted to close the facility

.....due to the decreasing costing of natural gas used by competitors.

The owners lease the land from the Navajo-Hopi nation to operate the plant.

The non-Navajo-Hopi commercial utilities owing the Navajo Generating Station coal-fired power plant near Page, AZ  stated they are tired of overpaying to produce power at the plant, and voted in February of 2017 to  close the plant when their lease expires at the end of 2019.

Recent court rulings bar coal combustion at the plant after December 22, 2019, and retirement of the facility should then begin, to be completed by December 22, 2024.

The Yes to NGS coalition “lobbyist” are in fact members of the Navajo-Hopi nation who own the land where the Navajo Generating Station  sits, and also own the land where the coal mine is located which is the sole source of the coal used in the plant.

Of note, the coal is owned by the Navajo-Hopi nation and is transported to the plant on a dedicated electrified railway, also owned by the commercial non-Navajo-Hopi co-owners of the Navajo Generating Station. The electrified trains are solely powered by electricity generated by the plant to power. The coal-only trains operate the 78 miles between the mine and the plant. The single-purpose railroad is completely isolated from the national rail system and does not connect any other railroads. The locomotives were purchased used from Ferrocarriles Nacionales de México (N de M) railroad.

When the plant and coal mine close, aprx 800-900 Navajo-Hopi reservation residents will be out of work.

The Navajo-Hopi Yes to NGS coalition wants the federal government to support transitioning the plant to new owners in order to keep reservation residents employed.

On a political side note, the Department of the Interior, which has a responsibility to the Navajo and Hopi tribes, has received millions in mine royalties each year which support Navajo-Hopi tribal operations.

gore range

« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2018, 02:42:17 PM »

gore range

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2018, 02:42:49 PM »

gore range

« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2018, 02:58:26 PM »

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2018, 06:08:02 PM »
I'm five miles off the ocean and 29' ASL so I'll be ocean front by then... but I'm not worried about that for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.