Advanced search  
Recent posts
The Trump Administration
by lifefeedsonlife
[Yesterday at 11:26:38 AM]
* CLP REPORT *
by The Wraith
[July 16, 2018, 01:41:06 PM]
Tell us how you hated 8 years of OBAMA and less than 2 years of TRUMP...
by bighair80s
[July 10, 2018, 11:45:57 AM]
No Topic. Anything Goes.
by gore range
[July 07, 2018, 06:26:30 AM]
....bang bang....
by gore range
[June 29, 2018, 07:40:20 AM]
More on climate change
by gore range
[June 27, 2018, 12:17:55 AM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HQ2  (Read 620 times)

NightmarePatrol

• Self Important Starfish
HQ2
« on: January 20, 2018, 10:36:56 AM »
So Iíve been following the Amazon HQ2 nonsense for a while because or Amazonís prominence in the tech industry. I canít help it because itís an interest of mine. So the list has been narrowed from 238 to 20 cities. Of the remaining 20 cities on the list Pittsburgh regularly appears in the ďexpertsĒ list of finalists. What makes them experts I really donít know. So anyhow, there are a number of compelling reasons the Burgh would make the list. The most obvious would be housing prices. It has the cheapest housing of any of the finalists. It also has the smallest population of any of the places on the list so an incursion into the area by Amazon might prove to be more of a burden than a blessing since thee promise it 50,000 jobs, which means people would be moving to the Burgh. That type of population swell might overwhelm the infrastructure thatís in place. Pittsburgh reportedly has a very good public transportation system, though I only used it a couple time and a very long time ago. Thatís an important factor for Amazon though.

Depending on who you listen to the area has either great or substandard education. Sure it doesnít have what Boston has, but it also has Carnegie Melon which is as good a place to get an education if you can get in and afford it. Carnegie Melon is, believe it or not a near invisible school to people who arenít involved in the tech business and donít live in a 300 mile radius.  MIT, CalTech and Stanford get all the press, but CMU is the equal of all of them in software engineering .

This has been really interesting (and entertaining) to follow for me, mostly because of how itís been turned into a circus with what basically comes to a contest between cities. Yes, itís interesting but itís also shows you how far some places will stoop to bring someone in.  Another thing I didnít now know is that a large number of the people in Amazonís executive management are from the Burgh so that might just play in to the numbers. In a way this might come down to a be-careful-what-you-wish-for scenario. I donít know this is going to play out, but itís going to be interesting for sure.

Janetplanet

Re: HQ2
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 11:53:28 AM »
I also am watching this play out.  Having been born and raised in the Burg and also having worked at Carnegie-Mellon I find a lot of what you are stating as interesting.  Mayor Peduto talked about this last night on the news and mentioned the influx of people that would be involved with creating 50,000 more jobs.  Pittsburgh population has been on the decline since the 50's, but I think the real problem would be the infrastructure.  We have seen water lines breaking, roads needing maintenance and other symptoms of infrastructure neglect.  Pete Flaherty ran for mayor under the motto of NO MORE TAXES and he held to his promise.  Unfortunately the infrastructure began its demise with his tenure.  I had the pleasure of working for Dr. Donald Stone at the Department of Public Affairs - Carnegie Mellon University.  He had Pete for a student and gave him hell for his lack of future vision.  Very interesting indeed.
handle every stressful situation like a dog.  pee on it and walk away.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 12:52:31 PM »
One of the biggest problems (in Crawford County) has been we want the business and the money, but not the outsiders. Meadville could have had Miller brewery and a Cummins engine factory decades ago, but the powers that be made it entirely uninviting to them. I'm sure the Burgh has a different attitude about it. Should this come to fruition, I'm sure Cranberry, Mt. Lebanon and other places would be a hot destinations for the new arrivals. They have to get them there first and the competition will be tough from bigger, better located cities. It's going to be really interesting from here on in.

gore range

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 10:50:33 PM »
Denver not biting on Appleís proposed second campus
But state doesnít rule out a bid for an Apple support center elsewhere in Colorado
By Tamara Chuang The Denver Post January 19, 2018

Appleís plans to build a second campus in the U.S. wonít be pursued by Denver because the potential jobs donít pay enough, according to officials who work with the state to attract new business to the metro area.

ďThe project is really for a technical support center, and while we have existing Apple locations, weíre not confident that the wages of a technical support center would support wage growth opportunities in Colorado,Ē said Sam Bailey, vice president of economic development for the Metro Denver Economic Development Corp. ďThey are looking in lower-cost markets.Ē

Apple shared few details about the new campus other than it planned build a second campus dedicated to customer support.

Wednesdayís announcement was part of the companyís pledge to also hire 20,000 workers over the next five years and invest $350 billion in the U.S. because of benefits it will see with the countryís new tax law.

Other parts of Colorado, such as in Pueblo and Colorado Springs, do have large customer service and support centers. Michelle Hadwiger, deputy director of the stateís Office of Economic Development and International Trade, hasnít yet ruled out a bid for Appleís campus, according to spokeswoman Emily Williams.

On Thursday, Amazon named Denver one of 20 finalists that it will work with before announcing a winner this year.

Amidala

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 11:48:07 AM »
One of the biggest problems (in Crawford County) has been we want the business and the money, but not the outsiders. Meadville could have had Miller brewery and a Cummins engine factory decades ago, but the powers that be made it entirely uninviting to them. I'm sure the Burgh has a different attitude about it. Should this come to fruition, I'm sure Cranberry, Mt. Lebanon and other places would be a hot destinations for the new arrivals. They have to get them there first and the competition will be tough from bigger, better located cities. It's going to be really interesting from here on in.

I agree. We talked about CC and how low we are on the PA economic scale - 57/67, lowest quarter, in Average Income and Per Capita Income. It is sad that the local population/leadership is so resistant to change. I hope that the Millennials, as they age, are more innovative.  And I certainly send best wishes to da 'burgh in the HQ2 competition. I think ti would be great for SW PA!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.