by gore range
[November 18, 2017, 08:56:41 AM]
Dead Air
by Amidala
[November 15, 2017, 12:34:55 PM]
Happy Birthday lifefeedsonlife
by The Wraith
[November 13, 2017, 05:54:16 PM]
Happy Birthday to any Jarheads out there!!!!!
by NightmarePatrol
[November 10, 2017, 11:18:31 PM]
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[November 02, 2017, 09:59:04 AM]
Harvey
by NightmarePatrol
[October 02, 2017, 05:26:19 PM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Goodbye Riverside Inn  (Read 620 times)

NightmarePatrol

• Self Important Starfish
Goodbye Riverside Inn
« on: May 02, 2017, 05:50:01 PM »
Sorry to see you go the way you did. At least you didn't fade away.

Amidala

Re: Goodbye Riverside Inn
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 08:22:53 PM »
Lots of pics on FB. Another economic loss for the county. :(

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 07:35:57 AM »
According to Paul Krugman, that's not going to be economic loss. It's going to be growth! 
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 07:56:05 AM »
I just hope they had enough insurance on the place to rebuild it in some capacity. It will never be the same as it was, but there's still a place for it as far as I know.

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 08:47:04 AM »
It certainly can't be replaced, no - but it could be an opportunity to create something new and cool. The problem is - the draw was the ambiance, and history. If they can recreate something akin to that - maybe it'd fly, but there's no real need for an Erie Convention Center South or anything like that.

I don't know.

I made the Krugman comment facetiously - because something like that old place truly is irreplaceable, and it's not like all the staff there are now going to become builders and tradesmen in any reconstruction that could take place. Krugman is an idiot. (And I am digressing.) the broken glass fallacy is just that - a fallacy. 
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 03:57:19 PM »
The whole place was actually a really great cornerstone that any small town would love to have. Now Cambridge is without. I hope some really inventive minds get to work before the designs get drawn up. I hope at least something replaces it. I just hope it's worthy... so to speak.

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 02:02:42 AM »
in the first-day story in the trib, the owner's son was asked whether it was insured and replied something along the lines of "that's a private matter." This implies maybe it wasn't.

Even if it was insured for full replacement value, as someone already been said, nothing modern can replace such a structure, which drew its appeal from its storied history.

When you visit a place like the Riverside was, in the back of your head you envision it inevitably ending this way. But somehow modern safety measures somehow have significantly reduced those great conflagrations of a generation ago that would consume key downtown blocks.

i guess maybe some of us were lulled into thinking that great places like the Riverside could and would last forever. But it was not to be. Sigh.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 11:17:31 AM »
The whole "vibe" of the place was simply amazing. Nothing new can ever replace it. But there is a massive void in the community now that needs filled. I'm sure this may help out some other businesses that are able to pick up the slack, but the Inn was unique and filled a multiple needs all in one place. There's not may places nearby that do everything they did.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.