by Janetplanet
[November 23, 2017, 09:40:42 PM]
Dead Air
by Amidala
[November 15, 2017, 12:34:55 PM]
Happy Birthday lifefeedsonlife
by The Wraith
[November 13, 2017, 05:54:16 PM]
Happy Birthday to any Jarheads out there!!!!!
by NightmarePatrol
[November 10, 2017, 11:18:31 PM]
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[November 02, 2017, 09:59:04 AM]
Harvey
by NightmarePatrol
[October 02, 2017, 05:26:19 PM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stormwater and Wastewater in Millcreek  (Read 4912 times)

tlink211

• Apparantly Not Leaving
Stormwater and Wastewater in Millcreek
« on: March 22, 2010, 02:52:05 PM »
Hello, I am doing research on stormwater and wastewater, in general. I understand Millcreek, in particular, is stressed due to stormwater leaking into sewer drains, overwhelming the water treatment plant during melting and rainy seasons.

I am also interested in learning about "Corrective Action." Is Corrective Action in place in Millcreek and what is it's affect on homeowners?

I have a repair solution for homeowners, small business and light industry. I want to know if Millcreek would benefit from my services and if I should spend my advertising dollars in that area.

It has been really difficult finding information on this subject or the corrective action law. I would like to find or start a discussion about it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

NightmarePatrol

• Self Important Starfish
Re: Stormwater and Wastewater in Millcreek
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 03:45:41 PM »
I would start by asking the folks Millcreek Township or Summit Township who's addressing this situation.

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 03:46:25 PM »
this has been an issue in sharon and hermitage with massive amounts of stormwater getting into the sanitary sewers and overloading the treatment plants.

In some cases (particularly an old town like sharon), downspouts were deliberated tied in at one time -- a practice now banned.

In hermitage, the problem is mainly from old, clay-tile sewer lines failing, which lets roots and water into the system. When you sell a house, the city now requires a sewer-line inspection. In most cases, utility flags and  a backhoe arrive on the scene shortly thereafter.

tlink211

• Apparantly Not Leaving
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 04:11:19 PM »
You hit the nail on the the head, Jayhawk. That's what we heard was happening in Millcreek. Stormwater leaking into, usually residential, sewer pipes and overwhelming the  wastewater treatment plant.

This trenchless pipe relining system my client has puts a liner inside the old pipes and seals against the outside of the old pipes, so stormwater doesn't seep between the old and the new.

He wants to do a, primarily print, advertising campaign this spring that should keep him busy all summer. Trouble is, I just don't get much of a response when I mention it to people in Millcreek.

I will very surely check into Sharon and Hermitage on your advice. At least I know a couple of people in that area.

I love the Internet, this is so cool.

Thank You Jayhawk!

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 04:50:57 PM »
We lined some of the culverts where I lived with the PVC sheaths. It was a neighborhood project involving trucks, backhoes and lots of sweat. The sheaths are threaded and have worked out quite well so far. Of course they've only been in use about 3 or 4 years. It took us a weekend to get about 200 feet of it in including the 2 junction boxes. And we only had to dig one trench about 6x6x20... in my yard of course.

And no, we did NOT have any permits! A bunch of scoflaws we are.

tlink211

• Apparantly Not Leaving
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 05:28:02 PM »
I'm just the advertising guy on this project. I've seen the equipment. The company is Donghia Environmental Services. We advertise that he can reline 2" to 12" lines.

I've seen the 4" or 5" liner. It comes rolled up on a reel, like fire hose. He applies a catalyst on site. After inspecting the line with a camera and clearing it with, who knows what or how, he puts the reliner in with compressed air somehow. Some roundish looking machine feeds it in.

As far as I know all he has to manipulate the thing with is compressed air.

He doesn't necessarily reline the entire run, just the sections that are broken, missing or leaking. Catalyst cures in about  3 hours. The whole dogbite is done in a day.

Compared to digging up the whole line and replacing it, this has got to be better. and way cheaper.

tlink211

• Apparantly Not Leaving
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:44:20 PM »
Ko-Shin, Yes, my understanding was the city or township of Millcreek was going block by block requiring inspections and repairs if they were needed. As you said 9 out of 10 needed repair.

I would think that would cause a near revolt, so maybe it just ainít so. I know Waterford requires inspection and repair when property changes hands but Waterford is only 1 square mile in size.

I understand the problem, stormwater overwhelms the treatment plant which ends up dumping wastewater into the environment. Then the EPA levels fines against the city or township.

It all goes back to those short 4 foot sections of clay pipe that were laid end to end with no thought of stormwater coming in. The only concern was channeling wastewater to the treatment plant.

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 05:48:44 PM »
I do not know of any Federal Law or codes that would require  any home owner to take any action...there may be Local codes or  Ordinance...So you may want to start with the city code officer...just a  thought... ;) ...

Sharon, Hermitage and probably some others here are doing it as sort of a combination of the above. The sewage plants go over capacity when it rains and dump diluted sewage into the rivers at times. So it's to avoid volume and to keep from having to expand the plant (though that eventually happened in sharon and will happen in hermitage).

I think the state may forbid new or knowingly connected downspouts to the sewer lines.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 05:51:31 PM »
I don't think I have ever seen a downspout connected to a sewer line. I sure would not want to have to be the one to clear the leaves and such out of it were there a clog.

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 05:57:03 PM »
I'm just the advertising guy on this project. I've seen the equipment. The company is Donghia Environmental Services. We advertise that he can reline 2" to 12" lines

I've had failure/root problems for 20 years, and after about the 5th or 7th annual roto rooter visit i paid $400 years ago to have the front yard dug up and redone -- which recently cost a neighbor $2,000 using the same contractor.

A year or so ago the basement drain backed up yet again, and roto rooter's camera found roots throughout the unreplaced part, including about 15 feet into the center of my basement.

the line snakes with an S curve under the foundation and a fireplace. The rotorooter guy said they have a process that shatters the old pipe and slips new in from a hole in the basement concrete floor and another dug hole outside. The ballpark estimate was something like 8 grand, and i have another neighbor who spent about $17K for the same thing. Money literally down the drain for an invisible repair that does nothing but prevent future occasional backups.

i had heard of slip-lining, but this guy claimed not for my 3- or 4-inch drain. Hmm. Maybe this could be my solution if it meets code here.

tlink211

• Apparantly Not Leaving
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 06:08:03 PM »
Well beyond my knowledge...give him a call Rod Donghia (724) 813-8838 it's his cell but he prefers it.

tlink211

• Apparantly Not Leaving
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
I said Waterford earlier, I meant Wesleyville.

tlink211

• Apparantly Not Leaving
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 07:41:43 PM »

...and to get a home owner to fix something unless it is absolutely broke...or they absolutely had too... 

Your point is well taken Ko-Shin. That is why I am interested in finding areas where residents are under pressure to make repairs. Some one unaware of pipe relining would simply assume the only fix is to dig it out and replace it. Itís a perfect fit if you can make a living for yourself and save your customers a lot of time and money too.

I talked with Rod Donghia, the reliner guy, in between posts. Told him about the thread and told him I posted his phone number. Heís not too big a computer guy so I donít think he will join us.

Anyway, he said it was big news in Millcreek a couple of years ago. On the evening news a lot for a while. I think it was one of the reasons he looked into the equipment in the first place.

I posted his web site address in an earlier post. There are before and after movies made with the pipe camera and some photos of the reliner. Iím getting ready to redo the site. It was one of the first I built and I know I could give it a nice facelift now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.