by Janetplanet
[November 23, 2017, 09:40:42 PM]
Dead Air
by Amidala
[November 15, 2017, 12:34:55 PM]
Happy Birthday lifefeedsonlife
by The Wraith
[November 13, 2017, 05:54:16 PM]
Happy Birthday to any Jarheads out there!!!!!
by NightmarePatrol
[November 10, 2017, 11:18:31 PM]
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[November 02, 2017, 09:59:04 AM]
Harvey
by NightmarePatrol
[October 02, 2017, 05:26:19 PM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GOP govs, the Job Creators. Not.  (Read 1770 times)

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
GOP govs, the Job Creators. Not.
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:27:18 AM »
http://meadvilletribune.com/local/x703136598/Corbett-Low-job-creating-numbers-misleading

How come Republican governors always claim to be the real engines of job growth in their states -- until they aren't?

HARRISBURG ó Pennsylvania ranked 43rd out of 50 states in job creation in the 12 months ending in August, according to researchers at Arizona State University, though a spokesman for the governorís re-election campaign insists the numbers are misleading.

... the pace of the economic recovery has slowed dramatically the longer Corbett has been in office."

Lifetime

• Self Important Starfish
  • Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
Re: GOP govs, the Job Creators. Not.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 07:58:47 AM »
Anyone who can see between the lines... know this is horse puckey. Governemt Jobs on a whole depend on the private sector to finance almost all of them (TAXES and fees). It seems the LARGEST so called job creator is ...THE GOVERNMENT.... Just ask our POTUS. He will break his arm patting himself on his back on this one. Just look at the Employment rate of the Government at least at the federal level. Mor IRS Employees for sure... The only way he can increase it anymore is to push for the Draft to come back.

Besides...Mr. John Finnerty works for the [color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]CNHI Harrisburg Bureau[/color] which is solidly Democratic and Liberal. What else would anyone want him to write like??? In all I am a believer in "Figures Lie and Liars Figure" and in all it is who's ox was being gored.

We can point our fingers all day but with PART TIME becoming the Norm and the need to have at least 2 PT jobs ( Hmmm did that increase the Employed numbers??) ..... "Houston... we have a problem!

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 05:26:04 PM »
Governemt Jobs on a whole depend on the private sector to finance almost all of them (TAXES and fees).

Or dwindling sales of postage.

It seems the LARGEST so called job creator is ...THE GOVERNMENT.... Just ask our POTUS.

Or Rand Paul:
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/09/09/816761/flabbergasted-rand-paul-learns-public-employment-decreased-under-obama/

But the GOP govs say they are the salvation, that the only growth is happening where they run things. Except in Pa.:

http://www.rga.org/americancomeback/the/
Besides...Mr. John Finnerty works for the CNHI Harrisburg Bureau which is solidly Democratic and Liberal. What else would anyone want him to write like???

You mean a bunch of smalltown Pa. papers run by some outfit in Alabama conspired to hire a one-person statehouse bureau and went out of their way to find someone who should be writing for Mother Jones? I'm not seeing it.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 08:24:14 PM »
This is largely a result of the financial crisis. Revenue is off and and money is tight. So the state governments which actually have a mandate to balance their budgets, made cuts... starting with the staff. I suspect Obama actually wants a larger government, but it's just out of his reach at the moment due to the lack of money thing. <side note: Apparently someone forgot to order the shovels for the "shovel ready jobs" that were supposed to be created.>

So at the moment (and for the moment) we have a smaller government thanks to the economy.

We may have a temporary reprieve from government growth but we're headed that way with all the dangers that come along with it. Government may be smaller, but the debt has exploded and higher taxes are likely looming in our future (but healthcare will be cheap, right?) During periods of government expansion freedoms are commonly surrendered (or absconded with). Right now we aren't facing the threat of an invading army, but there are those out there that want to take away our land and freedom. Today, the threat is no less real, it just seems bent on leaving the "life" and removing the "liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 12:20:03 AM »
Back to the original point...

Forget government jobs. Here's a link to the original Arizona State University study, specifically to the subset of rankings for private-sector job creation.

http://legacy.wpcarey.asu.edu/bluechip/jobgrowth/JGU_States.cfm

Guess what: Pa is even WORSE in this category, dropping to 45th nationally from 41st a year earlier. (The #41 spot was taken over by Ohio, dropping under a republican governor from 26th)

Corbett has been in office for 4 yrs now, and he has GOP majorities in the state legislature. If it's time for Obama to own the economy and stop blaming his predecessor, the same thing applies on the state level.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:06:50 AM »
One can't simply blame a single party for what's happened. Ed Rendell did a lot for Philadelphia and its outlying areas but seemed to forget there were people living in the rest of the state during his time in office. Florida got hit very hard with the recession, if that's what it's still being called.They elected a GOP governor who has for intents and purposes come across like a real turd. He has however done pretty much what he said he was going to do though his initial belt tightening was so tight he bruised a few ribs and ticked a lot of people off. In the end though the state now has a budget surplus and is handing out raises to the employees and is attracting businesses to the state. That being said he still comes across like a turd but I can't fault him for not doing what he said he was going to do.

Back to PA. I don't live there any more and haven't for a long while.  The state has not done a great job of even keeping the businesses it has, let alone enticing new ones. The local cities and municipalities have passed on a lot of opportunities. Meadville passed on a Miller brewery and a Cummins engine factory in the 70's because they would not give an inch in the negotiation process.  The attitude of the county and city officials at the time was borderline xenophobic. I'm sure there are a lot of other small cities that have similar stories. I have no idea about the large metro areas and what has or has not happened in them other than Rockwell mostly abandoned Pittsburgh in the late 80's and moved most of their operations to California.  Pittsburgh did a good job of reinventing itself in the latter part of the 20th century but I don't know how it's keeping up these days.

The state is filled with educated, trained and talented people that want to work; and some who just don't care too. Again I don't live there any more but it seems to me a paradigm shift is in order for all of the elected officials. I watched the demise of Talon happen right in front of my eyes because they refused to change and recognize the changes happening around them. They could have survived, but they just failed to change miserably.  I could ramble on the talon thing for hours.

Anyhow, yes something needs to change but it need to change in both parties, not just one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.