by Janetplanet
[November 23, 2017, 09:40:42 PM]
Dead Air
by Amidala
[November 15, 2017, 12:34:55 PM]
Happy Birthday lifefeedsonlife
by The Wraith
[November 13, 2017, 05:54:16 PM]
Happy Birthday to any Jarheads out there!!!!!
by NightmarePatrol
[November 10, 2017, 11:18:31 PM]
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[November 02, 2017, 09:59:04 AM]
Harvey
by NightmarePatrol
[October 02, 2017, 05:26:19 PM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free Range parenting  (Read 1832 times)

NightmarePatrol

• Self Important Starfish
Free Range parenting
« on: January 17, 2015, 07:27:21 PM »
Read this, then ask yourself, did I do this by myself as a kid? I sure did.

Amidala

Re: Free Range parenting
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 07:47:30 PM »
We seniors and almost seniors had much more freedom than today's kids do. The high profile abduction cases starting with that little boy Adam in FL changed all that.

Janetplanet

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 08:59:09 PM »
I didn't read this article but did see the television report.  My childhood consisted of me running all over Mt. Washington, into downtown Pittsburgh and even catching the bus to Oakland, South Park and even Kennywood.  For 35 cents (you could get a transfer ticket for the next leg) we left in the morning and didn't return until dinner.  This was before cell phones.  I do believe these are different times, so I am not sure how I feel about this. I do know that I raised my daughters more closely than my parents did, but as I said time have changed.
handle every stressful situation like a dog.  pee on it and walk away.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 08:18:12 AM »
At age 10  had ridden my bike to Conneaut Lake Park, Cambridge Springs Coons Corners and probably a lot of other places I don't remember. I also walked all over the woods by myself in up by Ross Run. It's hard to get lost in the woods there as long as you remember to find and follow running water to get to a road though. Yes, I'm a parent and I want my kids to be safe, however the norms and mores of todays society say that's bad and one must be punished. At the rate the we're going they'll eventually chip future generations like our pets on the day we're born.

CindyLouWho

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 01:46:32 AM »
Man did we run wild and have fun.  All day out on our bikes.  Everyone knew us and watched out for us too.  Sure wish my kids could have had it like I did.
"Hold on tight to your dream"........Electric Light Orchestra

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 06:48:25 AM »
So what changed? Kids didn't.  I think the adults are overly paranoid personally. Between that and all the legislative, legal and social morals  that define good parenting it seems we're about to release a generation into the world that can't make a decision for itself.

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 06:14:45 PM »
I think there's a mindset out there regarding kids that they'll somehow magically become independent functioning adults without any instruction from or increasing independence / responsibility granted to them by parents. In some ways - I blame the idea that it's society's responsibility to raise a child - a collective effort.

Nah. Fuck that. My kids, my responsibility. I'll enlist the help I deem necessary (a small scale collective) - but it still comes down to my wife and I.
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

Lifetime

• Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 08:11:06 AM »
The family structure has changed is the reason. Households with one parent is just part of the problem. Here he goes with " when I was a kid..." Well when I was a kid... divorce was rare in my community and if it did happen, it was quiet, not a badge of courage. Another part was respect for others... be it from adults and/or their children. If we disrespected other parents or elders... we paid for it when found out. ALL mothers and fathers in my neighborhood was MY mother and father. If I did something wrong and another mother caught me... I was spanked or at least strong armed back to my mother to take her wrath or the famous words... "And wait until your father gets home!!" Now kids turn their own parents into police or now... child welfare.

Where I have lived for all my life... I have seen the family structure deteriorate. Where once we had a neighborhood of working parents, they now wait for the stipend the Government gives them each month. Police were uncommon in my childhood neighborhood but for the walking cop who just checked on the neighborhood. Now it is 2 or 3 police cars coming to a domestic or break several times a week. It seems to make an asshole, just ad drugs or alcohol, or both. This is the example the kids get from the parents that are suppose to be role models. So... Yessssss... When I was a kid...

And... we had "free range" as long as we told our mothers where we were going. It wasn't uncommon for us to bike or walk to the surrounding towns. I loved biking to Buhl Park... a few miles away. And yes... it seemed we were safer then than now... refer to the Drugs, alcohol or both reference...

Just look at the family structures to see where we are going.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.