by Janetplanet
[November 23, 2017, 09:40:42 PM]
Dead Air
by Amidala
[November 15, 2017, 12:34:55 PM]
Happy Birthday lifefeedsonlife
by The Wraith
[November 13, 2017, 05:54:16 PM]
Happy Birthday to any Jarheads out there!!!!!
by NightmarePatrol
[November 10, 2017, 11:18:31 PM]
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[November 02, 2017, 09:59:04 AM]
Harvey
by NightmarePatrol
[October 02, 2017, 05:26:19 PM]
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24   Go Down

Author Topic: The Trump Administration  (Read 19056 times)

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
Re: The Trump Administration
« Reply #285 on: March 27, 2017, 03:09:24 PM »
Another round of golf this weekend, his 13th I believe so far.  All the while he complained during the campaign of Obama's few times he golfed over the years.  Trump said he is making deals during his outings...

Remember, Trump is a closer. (The C is silent.)

Lifetime

• Self Important Starfish
  • Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #286 on: March 27, 2017, 03:28:35 PM »
Funny thing... I don't "smell smoke". I expect the thing you said went down in smoke... was set aside 'till later. More "discussion" is needed.

Markets are fickled and run buy those who want to sell of on a Friday. I remember the Dot Coms.... YAHOO...everyone made money...until the truth came out and they almost repeated 1929 when the fit hit the shan. I remember when the PEAK OIL was the law of the day. There was a guy who wanted to be the FIRST to pay $100 for a Barrel of crude...just to say he was the FIRST. The market is a slippery circus.

I will wait patiently....

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #287 on: March 27, 2017, 04:55:04 PM »
The markets have been and always will be reactive. i certainly don't know what really drives it. I do know that with Trump sitting in OO they see him as "business friendly", but it's a double edged sword. All the H1B's that trickle across the border taking up US high tech job has kept the pay scale down. If he really does what he says he will do the businesses will revolt again him as soon as a company that has 1,000 outsourced IT jobs has to start paying millions more in payroll because they have to start hiring domestic workers. Those workers will suddenly come into high demand again raising the pay rate and ultimately the cost of goods.

Of course, we still graduate more lawyers then engineers from our educational institutions I believe.

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #288 on: March 28, 2017, 03:26:22 AM »
I've always scoffed at how the TV market analysts say on a given day that the market was down today because investors reacted (en masse) to the news about xxxx....

No, Bob sold some of his XYZ stock because his son's tuition check is due Tuesday. Kimberly sold some of her ABC stock to make the down payment on her new house. Jack cashed out some of his 401k shares to settle the divorce. Meanwhile, Terri invested in the market because her year-end bonus check arrived.

To say that the entire market activity on a given day was solely because everybody reacted the same way to a single piece of news is ignoring that people and institutions go in and out of the market for a million routine reasons every day.

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #289 on: March 28, 2017, 07:45:53 AM »
Quite honestly it's the lawyers that seem to screw things up for the rest of us . . . .
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #290 on: March 28, 2017, 08:19:33 AM »
The market doesn't react much to private investors. I spent a few years working in trust custody managing the interface to the fed wire system. When you see entities buying/selling 250 mil in one transaction it gets your attention. The market notices too.

Lifetime

• Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #291 on: March 28, 2017, 11:15:43 AM »
Barbie Dolls ...again become the HOT TOY for Christmas...and suddenly Mattel gets a large hit on Stock bought (by many).... FICKLED!!!! Wet the finger daily... follow through.... Buy it up or...if it falls through...dump it quickly (by many).... Instant roller coaster.

I was taught a long time ago.... markets are a marathon,,, not a sprint. LONG TERM almost always works. Some people want their first Million in a year instead of several over say 10-20 years.

I am not a millionaire but I have been made comfortable at my "class" level.

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #292 on: March 28, 2017, 12:42:26 PM »
The market doesn't react much to private investors. I spent a few years working in trust custody managing the interface to the fed wire system. When you see entities buying/selling 250 mil in one transaction it gets your attention. The market notices too.
Yeah, i guess you're right. Though much of that trading is retirement investments, and the little people who own that money do withdraw from time to time oblivious to what that day's Durable Goods Orders report said. (Or even knowing what durable goods are.)

clp_lives

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #293 on: March 28, 2017, 04:02:55 PM »
Someone should clue Trump in that renewable energy employment exceeds that of coal now and building gas fired plants to replace coal requires US jobs as well.  Renewables and gas generation are the future due to economics and not regulation.   Companies will choose the cheaper option when given a choice and coal plants are shutting down because of it over cheap abundant natural gas that does not require barges and rail cars to transport.  My electric bill has gone down from 10 years ago in real dollars not even inflation adjusted due to the cost of electric as well as advancements in efficiencies like LED lighting, appliances etc., despite this supposed tighter regulations.  LED light bulbs started at $10 each now you can get them for $1.  Cars get way better gas mileage, have many more safety features yet the price did not increase as much as the naysayers had feared outside normal inflation.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/27/politics/trump-climate-change-executive-order/index.html
But hey let's stop being innovative and solving these challenging problems and just keep digging up coal instead.

Amidala

« Reply #294 on: March 31, 2017, 09:22:07 AM »
Throughout this coal debate, the talking heads have not talked about how hard life is for miners, generations of them especially in many harsh, mountainous areas due to geographic isolation. They have poor access to many services and it's a hard, hard way of life with little opportunity. Would love to see a way out for these people when coal is replaced with other energy sources. Just a pipe dream to help a struggling population.

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #295 on: March 31, 2017, 02:15:03 PM »
Don't forget, Trump is only talking about mining the mystical, magical "clean coal". Unlike regular coal, clean coal was formed ions ago from the decomposition of unicorns, not dinosaurs.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #296 on: March 31, 2017, 04:46:52 PM »
I believe it's clean coal that's burning under Centralia.

Amidala

« Reply #297 on: March 31, 2017, 05:04:45 PM »
Astute observations, guys.  You know, genealogy tells me that I am a direct descendant of 4 immigrant coal miners. My ancestors happened to live in areas with easier access to other services, industries and just life in general, than those living in the hollers of Appalachia Have access today.
Many of them live in poverty. For that opportunity,I am thankful. It gave me a better quality of life.

I wish the same for the descendants of today's miners.

clp_lives

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #298 on: April 01, 2017, 02:18:03 PM »
The miners are in a tough situation for sure with the changing energy market and small towns with little opportunity.  That being said I think all should be treated equal not just coal miners as millions others were hit with their company bankruptcies, job outsourcing overseas resulting is loss of benefits and retirement.  Does an agreement with coal companies in 1947 for the government to temporarily take over coal mines require them to pay medical and retiree benefits over 70 years later.  How about the steel mills, textile mills state employees who have questionable retirement funding with cash strapped states.  The list is never ending and the government really can't afford to please everyone unfortunately as the money has to come from somewhere.  Not sure there is a good, nor fair answer.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/nation/2017/04/01/Miners-seek-help-from-Congress-as-health-and-pension-benefits-expire/stories/201704010070

Astute observations, guys.  You know, genealogy tells me that I am a direct descendant of 4 immigrant coal miners. My ancestors happened to live in areas with easier access to other services, industries and just life in general, than those living in the hollers of Appalachia Have access today.
Many of them live in poverty. For that opportunity,I am thankful. It gave me a better quality of life.

I wish the same for the descendants of today's miners.

Amidala

« Reply #299 on: April 01, 2017, 09:24:15 PM »
Oh, I agree, and I didn't mean to sound discriminatory - I've just come realize that had my ancestors settled in, say, WVa instead of SW PA, my life might not have had as many opportunities. And I'm thankful for that.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.