by Janetplanet
[November 23, 2017, 09:40:42 PM]
Dead Air
by Amidala
[November 15, 2017, 12:34:55 PM]
Happy Birthday lifefeedsonlife
by The Wraith
[November 13, 2017, 05:54:16 PM]
Happy Birthday to any Jarheads out there!!!!!
by NightmarePatrol
[November 10, 2017, 11:18:31 PM]
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[November 02, 2017, 09:59:04 AM]
Harvey
by NightmarePatrol
[October 02, 2017, 05:26:19 PM]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Harvey  (Read 3627 times)

NightmarePatrol

• Self Important Starfish
Harvey
« on: August 29, 2017, 07:40:39 AM »
So Harvey is back out in the Gulf and regrouping after round one of pretty much a thousand year event. More rain is predicted for the next few days. Some areas have received more than 50 inches of rain! The people in Texas have their hands full and will for some time.

gore range

Re: Harvey
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:57:21 AM »
....to put it all in a relative common reference perspective-

....Harvey has dumped the equivalent of over 50 FEET OF SNOW on Houston.

clp_lives

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »
The sad thing is when Trump visits he will probably blame Obama or Hillary somehow and worry about the size of the crowd that sees him talk.

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 12:31:42 PM »
The sad thing is when Trump visits he will probably blame Obama or Hillary somehow and worry about the size of the crowd that sees him talk.
Well, let's hope he's right and the TV ratings are up.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 12:50:52 PM »
What's interesting is that TD 10 was over me (literally) this past weekend. We got lucky and escaped with only 8" of rain. Points south got as much as 18" over the weekend. We can handle the water much better than Texas given out sand and loam over limestone geology. The amount of rain Harvey has dumped would be a nightmare anywhere. I am sure that somewhere in the Houston area there is a Waffle House open though.

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 03:18:08 PM »
Waffle House! The amount of grease in one of them would repel the water!

All kidding aside though. I got some friends down in that area. They are more than a little bugged out by the amount of water that's come from the heavens. I hope that the weather pattern shifts and it clears on out of there.
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

bighair80s

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 05:41:51 PM »
I can hardly believe my eyes watching the news reports and damage. It's surreal. It's a reminder that life can change pretty fast.  Ugh.

My memories of Houston  consist of getting lost and tangled up in the "spaghetti bowl" as they called it then,rings of interstate highways and bypasses that form concentric circles of driving hell around Houston.  Naturally this was before GPS and google maps.  Good times. Good times. Ha.

"this space for rent"

gore range

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 06:06:38 PM »
In many areas the rings of interstate highways and bypasses that form concentric circles of driving hell around Houston were by intention designed to function as rainfall runoff corridors to assist in mitigating flooding during normal meteorological events.

The reality is municipalities can not afford to even think about building for a 500 year meteorological  event.

Thoughts and prays for those impacted and those about to be impacted in the coming week.

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 08:14:37 PM »
"The reality is municipalities can not afford to even think about building for a 500 year meteorological  event."

And yet - it seems someone must always be blamed. Looks like Joel Osteen is taking some (now unwarranted) heat.
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

clp_lives

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 08:25:28 PM »
Mental instability at it's best:

https://qz.com/1065191/hurricane-harvey-trump-did-a-mini-campaign-rally-in-houston-and-failed-to-express-sympathy-for-flood-victims/

Well, let's hope he's right and the TV ratings are up.

Lifetime

• Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 07:45:41 AM »
And maybe you fail to mention that he is doing a return as well as Pence coming in... Maybe we need to see what he/they have planned before we start throwing crap. I know when the SHIT hit the fan for us in Vietnam, I would rather have a leader insert some Positive thought than to have one say our SHIT was in the wind.... One visit really tells little as to the plans.... let's see what happens over the next week.

I was in New Orleans about 2 weeks ago. As our plane came in and when we left, you could still see a large area of NO that was still devastated by Katrina. A NO MAN'S LAND would describe it. Let me see.... It happened in 2005 and went through 2 POTUS's and it is still a waste land..... 12 years later... Old swimming pools are still filled with water (rains all the time) and instead of filling in those pools of mosquito infested waters... they ( Government Entities) are catching little fish that eat the larvae and placing them in those pools WTF??? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot??? And now a week in and continuing , we bitch about one POTUS visit... God...some of us need to just get a life and need to concentrate more on possibly offering up some help of a personal nature in the mean time.  IMHO

gore range

gore range

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 08:41:49 AM »
THE CATASTROPHE OF TROPICAL STORM ALLISON

IS UNPRECEDENTED FOR ANY MAJOR METROPOLITAN

U.S. CITY.

BUT, A STORM OF THIS MAGNITUDE WILL HAPPEN AGAIN.

ITS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME....

https://www.hcfcd.org/media/1351/ts-allison_pubreportenglish.pdf

clp_lives

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 01:52:10 PM »
A little compassion from our current president is not too much to ask.  Thousands have lost everything and a few and counting lost their lives.  For New Orleans and the impact Katrina so are you saying despite the fact most did not have flood insurance the government and Obama should have rebuilt these homes for free for each one of them?  Kind of goes against the Republican way doesn't it?  In your opinion who was to pay for all these uninsured homes to be rebuilt in a known floodplan to address this no man's land as you call it?

And maybe you fail to mention that he is doing a return as well as Pence coming in... Maybe we need to see what he/they have planned before we start throwing crap. I know when the SHIT hit the fan for us in Vietnam, I would rather have a leader insert some Positive thought than to have one say our SHIT was in the wind.... One visit really tells little as to the plans.... let's see what happens over the next week.

I was in New Orleans about 2 weeks ago. As our plane came in and when we left, you could still see a large area of NO that was still devastated by Katrina. A NO MAN'S LAND would describe it. Let me see.... It happened in 2005 and went through 2 POTUS's and it is still a waste land..... 12 years later... Old swimming pools are still filled with water (rains all the time) and instead of filling in those pools of mosquito infested waters... they ( Government Entities) are catching little fish that eat the larvae and placing them in those pools WTF??? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot??? And now a week in and continuing , we bitch about one POTUS visit... God...some of us need to just get a life and need to concentrate more on possibly offering up some help of a personal nature in the mean time.  IMHO
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 04:43:31 PM by clp_lives »

bighair80s

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 01:56:23 PM »
I asked mr BH about the Houston trip, I had forgotten that was in 1988 and hurricane Gilbert had passed through Corpus Christi just a couple days before we arrived via Huston airport there. We drove to Corpus to stay at the beach. I remember the hotel we stayed still had plywood on the gulf side glass. Lots of beach erosion and the water was churned up with vegetation etc.  On a side note, I recall Padre Island national seashore beach was one of the most serene and beautiful beaches I've been to. 

Living in those areas carries a risk of flooding.  Life is fragile, we don't think about it till we have to I guess. 
"this space for rent"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.