by Janetplanet
[November 23, 2017, 09:40:42 PM]
Dead Air
by Amidala
[November 15, 2017, 12:34:55 PM]
Happy Birthday lifefeedsonlife
by The Wraith
[November 13, 2017, 05:54:16 PM]
Happy Birthday to any Jarheads out there!!!!!
by NightmarePatrol
[November 10, 2017, 11:18:31 PM]
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[November 02, 2017, 09:59:04 AM]
Harvey
by NightmarePatrol
[October 02, 2017, 05:26:19 PM]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Harvey  (Read 3629 times)

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
Re: Harvey
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2017, 04:48:27 PM »
We just came off 8 years of someone who was in place while Katrina was very much an issue...

We seem to be forgetting that Katrina happened 3+ years before Obama was even elected.

Someone else was in place and doin' one helluva job with Katrina cleanup and the economy during that time.

Lifetime

• Self Important Starfish
  • Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2017, 06:18:30 PM »
Sorry to inform you Sparky, but.... it takes more than 3 years to clean up something like that.... so..the 8 years still hangs on Nagen's best friend.... and it continues. Bitch all you want at and about Trump but... it has only been weeks..NOT YEARS. 8 Effing years and what??? Not much of anything and it still looks like crap down there. It was Fresh for Bam Bam's predecessor .... so when BO took over... he should have had a lot of projected answers.

And the economy??? Have you seen anything about the Stock Market or Employment numbers lately???? And at 7 months in....Hmmm ..Let's see where it goes from here... And I am not saying it was entirely from T but it does look good so far. 4.3%... down from 4.7 in DEC 2016 unemployment from what I see.

We just came off 8 years of someone who was in place while Katrina was very much an issue...

We seem to be forgetting that Katrina happened 3+ years before Obama was even elected.

Someone else was in place and doin' one helluva job with Katrina cleanup and the economy during that time.

Lifetime

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 06:24:32 PM »
"Cuz...they ain't us."  So you are saying you don't even vote? WE put them in their offices...so we gits wat we votes fer.

And I take it that you don't even know who your Reps are??? I make it a point to know my local and State Reps are as well as Federals and... they seem to know me and will discuss issues I may have.... in fact a State Sen. Called today on an issue. They are not mind readers so I have always encouraged my circle to keep in contact with them.

Bitch all you want but if you are not engaged....keep putting grease on you tire treads... spin all you want.

"I have NO CONTROL over the money allocated by our Government ( that is OUR money) but I have a right to comment on it's use."

Lotta good that does. And it stops being 'our' money once government gets hold of it . . . then it becomes theirs. (Cuz . . . they ain't us.)

clp_lives

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 10:34:27 PM »
Not bitching at all just noting you bitching about welfare and the freeloaders but you seem to be OK with providing govt. funds to those that decided insurance was not for me.  Seems quite similar.  I am not complaining about the aid just making a point as they seem to be a similar handout.

"Cuz...they ain't us."  So you are saying you don't even vote? WE put them in their offices...so we gits wat we votes fer.

And I take it that you don't even know who your Reps are??? I make it a point to know my local and State Reps are as well as Federals and... they seem to know me and will discuss issues I may have.... in fact a State Sen. Called today on an issue. They are not mind readers so I have always encouraged my circle to keep in contact with them.

Bitch all you want but if you are not engaged....keep putting grease on you tire treads... spin all you want.

"I have NO CONTROL over the money allocated by our Government ( that is OUR money) but I have a right to comment on it's use."

Lotta good that does. And it stops being 'our' money once government gets hold of it . . . then it becomes theirs. (Cuz . . . they ain't us.)

Lifetime

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2017, 08:07:53 AM »
Yup... I do bitch about able bodied people sucking on the system hind teat. I live amongst a lot of them... As years rolled by... they moved into what was once a vibrant neighborhood...in which I lived all my life. Cancer comes in many varieties.

Now to MY POINT ...which you seemed to have missed....so many times. I NEVER said the Government should go in and rebuild their homes. No insurance??? Your choice. I learned many years ago... don't live near ANY water...river/stream/lake/ocean/sea. Mother Nature has a habit of surprising you. I don't live in a forested area as well. No need for my home to be extra tinder from a forest fire  (sometimes caused by lightning as well as asshole campers). Those are my choices. I have insurances for life/home and vehicles.... those are my choices and in some states....the law. Guess what... I never had to make a claim for my home... did when hail in "85" tornado dimpled the hell out of 2 of my INSURED cars. Now I only claim on my Health Insurance... getting old is a "bitch" LOL. Some insurance can't be bought in some areas..here it seems that earthquake insurance is one of them. We have had earthquakes but not on the scale of San Fran.

I NEVER wanted the Government to go into NO and rebuild for individuals. I was saying...if you bothered to read... Because of those areas...12 years later, mosquito infestation as well as human garbage...drug dealers and even body dumps are within those areas. This is detrimental to ALL who still live in NO (New Orleans) and out lying areas...Zika, West Nile are just some of the diseases and, they are talking about that same thing in the Houston area. Standing water needs to disappear in order to cut the possibility of health issues to innocent people. Now we all know the cost of dealing with addiction so I shouldn't have to go there ...we read about it every day in every burg around here... let alone flourishing in the abandoned building of New Orleans "Katrina" areas. That ...my friend, is something that affects EVERYONE and most aren't even in those areas. It is far reaching. Here are some things we seem to forget or choose to not remember...

U.S. Constitution:

Art 1 Sec.8;Articles II-V; Amendments XIII-XVI, XIX-XX, XXIII-XXVI These prerogatives belong to one of the following categories:

1) Defense, war prosecution, peace, foreign relations, foreign commerce, and interstate commerce;

2) The protection of citizens' constitutional rights (e.g. the right to vote) and ensuring that slavery remains illegal;

3) Establishing federal courts inferior to the SCOTUS;

4) Copyright protection;

5) Coining money;

6) Establishing post offices and post roads;

7) Establishing a national set of universal weights and measures;

8 )  Taxation needed to raise revenue to perform these essential functions.

Those are the only Prerogatives of the Feds. The Tenth Amendment states that all prerogatives not explicitly given to the Federal Government, nor prohibited of the states, are reserved to the states and to the people ( i.e. individual Americans). So...the Feds are not allowed to handle any issues not explicitly listed in the Constitution; their prerogatives are limited to what the Constitution explicitly states.

Now go back and compare what the Feds are doing or now "required" to do now. It has "come a long way Baby".

Again... I didn't state WHO ( FED, STATE, Citizens) should have razed the Katrina area but it is for the protections of ALL Citizens and not individual... Like protecting ALL Citizen when in a War.... Someone should have come up with a better and more permanent plan than to catch fish, put them in those pools to eat mosquito larvae.... or to clean out the areas Drug dealers thrive in. For the betterment of ALL ...not the individual.

12 years is a long time and...now it will be upon us yet again.

And yes... I will rail against what I see within my own neighborhood and even if nothing is done I will have taught my kid and his kids to live a better life. That is all I can do. 4 generations on Welfare isn't suppose to be the norm... and yes... I will bitch. A young girl with 4 children by 3 sperm donors and left to the system with no help from any of the fathers...yes, I will bitch. And when the girl will not name ANY of the fathers to Welfare... I will bitch.

And something on a more personal note... When I was in Vietnam, I made very little money. I was married with a child to care for. I got a letter one day where my wife had to tell me they had to go on food stamps because...even though I sent them my pay, she couldn't afford simple food for our daughter. I was pissed but had no control. I got out a few months later and when I did...I went back to work. I got my first paycheck and immediately went to the Bureau of Public Welfare and with money in hand ( the amount of the food stamps used) I was going to REPAY them. They looked at me like I was crazy... and told me there was NO MEANS that they could take that money as payment. My Father always taught me... if I made a bill...PAY IT. I tried, but the system was so convoluted, it left no means for me to do so. I ended up, in the end, to have donated to local charities. I OWED A DEBT!!! So... I WILL BITCH!!!

Not bitching at all just noting you bitching about welfare and the freeloaders but you seem to be OK with providing govt. funds to those that decided insurance was not for me.  Seems quite similar.  I am not complaining about the aid just making a point as they seem to be a similar handout.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:21:06 AM by Lifetime »

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2017, 04:48:33 PM »
Mr. Lifetime sir - I'm well versed in my reps. Local, State and Federal. Local folks are much more apt to respond to thoughts / concerns. Beyond that - nope. Fuckin' asshats more interested in preaching than listening. Ya see . . . if voting made any difference, it'd be illegal.
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

Lifetime

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2017, 12:56:04 AM »

Guess your reps are different than mine..... have had legislation on different levels created and passed and have had some co-sponsored. So ...again... I take it that you do not vote?
Mr. Lifetime sir - I'm well versed in my reps. Local, State and Federal. Local folks are much more apt to respond to thoughts / concerns. Beyond that - nope. Fuckin' asshats more interested in preaching than listening. Ya see . . . if voting made any difference, it'd be illegal.

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »
Lately (as in the past couple elections) it's been write-ins. Votes of no confidence. Thing is though . . . regardless of who "gets in" we are right where we are, and voting has got us here.
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2017, 10:07:08 PM »
We complain about our government like it is the most dysfunctional one on the planet. Granted it does not operate as efficiently as the German train system, but it still does better than a lot of other governments. I can't stand that we get told we must choose between one of two parties. It like someone telling you you have to shop at Target or Walmart. Screw that, I just dropped a ton on a new mower and I went to the little independent dealer, paid the same price for it that Home Depot was selling it ffor and the guy who sold it to me actually knew something about the product he was pedaling.

So anyhow, We have some reps here that actually care. Just like everywhere else though they all call call us constituents, but that's all we are. There are others they call benifactor though and they have much louder voices then we do. Politics is a dirty business and if find one in office that cares I hope they get a return visit.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2017, 11:00:52 AM »
Of course now Irma is a "concern" for us. This mornings models did not look good, but as with all things hurricane they are prone to wild swings in direction, etc. Time to recheck the hunker down and bug-out supplies. We probably won't have to make a decision until Friday night/Saturday morning. Until then we have to think about the where to go if it becomes necessary. Every storm is different.

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2017, 03:32:33 PM »
So - as of right now, Irma looks pretty damn fierce. I'm hoping not Andrew fierce - and may it'll skirt land. But that doesn't bode well for the Gulf States.

Amidala

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2017, 09:31:43 PM »
I'm thinking it will be fiercer than Andrew.  We did our wedding anniversary in the Keys, in the spring after Andrew and driving past Homestead on the interstate was horrific to see - total destruction.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2017, 06:54:50 AM »
The local meteorologist here said he would not be shocked if Irma peaked at 200 mph for a brief period. For now it has been a 185 sustained for almost 24 hours now with guests to 220 mph. Lots of awe and beauty if you're a meteorologist but lots oh crap for the rest of us. It looks as if it may turn sooner than expected which is good for the gulf coast. It's all up in the air though really.

Some fun (or not) facts.

Hurricane Irma Meteorological Records/Notable Facts Recap (through
September 5 at 9pm EDT)
Intensity Measures
‐ 185 mph max winds tied with Florida Keys (1935), Gilbert (1988) and Wilma
(2005) for second strongest max winds of all time in Atlantic hurricane.  Allen had
max winds of 190 mph in 1980
‐ 185 mph max winds making it the strongest storm on record to impact the
Leeward Islands, defined as 15‐19N, 65‐60W for this calculation.  Okeechobee
Hurricane (1928) and David (1979) were previous strongest at 160 mph
‐ 185 mph max winds the strongest storm to exist outside of the Caribbean and
Gulf of Mexico on record
‐ 916 mb central pressure lowest since Dean (2007) and tied for 11th lowest in
satellite era (since 1966)
‐ First Category 5 hurricane in the Atlantic since Matthew (2016) and first
Category 5 hurricane in the tropical Atlantic (7.5‐20N, 60‐20W) since Hugo
(1989)

Integrated Measures
‐ Generated the most Accumulated Cyclone Energy by a tropical cyclone on
record in the tropical Atlantic (7.5‐20N, 60‐20W)   
‐ Generated more Accumulated Cyclone Energy than the first eight named storms
of the Atlantic hurricane season (Arlene‐Harvey) combined

‐ Generated 3.75 major hurricane days in the tropical Atlantic (7.5‐20N, 60‐
20W) trailing only Luis (1995) for major hurricane days in the tropical Atlantic

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2017, 09:16:53 AM »
Here's a (not-so) nice perspective.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2017, 11:15:52 AM »
ThIngs are looking up. I'm sure TiFeMb is breathing a lot easier down at his place.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.