by Janetplanet
[November 23, 2017, 09:40:42 PM]
Dead Air
by Amidala
[November 15, 2017, 12:34:55 PM]
Happy Birthday lifefeedsonlife
by The Wraith
[November 13, 2017, 05:54:16 PM]
Happy Birthday to any Jarheads out there!!!!!
by NightmarePatrol
[November 10, 2017, 11:18:31 PM]
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[November 02, 2017, 09:59:04 AM]
Harvey
by NightmarePatrol
[October 02, 2017, 05:26:19 PM]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Harvey  (Read 3630 times)

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
Re: Harvey
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2017, 07:41:08 PM »
If we listen to Rush Limbaugh, these superstorm warnings are all just liberal global warming hogwash meant to trick people into buying stuff from local TV advertisers.

We can only hope he takes his own advice and refuses to evacuate his florida home.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/irma-hurricane-rush-limbaugh-climate-change-conspiracy-sell-batteries-radio-latest-news-a7932976.html

NightmarePatrol

• Self Important Starfish
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2017, 06:52:27 AM »
If you listen to any of the pundits with any regularity, you may not have any of your own opinions left and are only able to parrot their doctrines.

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2017, 11:03:01 AM »
Oh, I've got a number of friends that are like that. There's a reason many of Rush's faithful listeners are self-ascribed "dittoheads."
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

Amidala

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2017, 02:01:08 PM »
Take care, NP, and keep us posted as you are able.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2017, 05:18:04 PM »
Well the latest news is somewhat disturbing. We are all losing our minds wanting to know when Irma is going to turn north. As little as a 50 mile delta can determine which coast it goes up. There are to good hurricane models. There is the GFS and the European model. The European model was been tweaked a couple years ago and has been the better performing model as of late. So anyhow the GFS model has Irma turning north and deadheading into Miami. Since the NE quadrant wil be out to sea Miami won't get the full force of the storm. That's not a lot of consolation though as it's like the difference of being in the ring with heavy weight ot middle weight boxer. You're still going down.

The European model now has trended west and has Irma circling in around Naples and then  Blazing a trail across the state and exiting around Daytona, then it's on to the Carolinas. The bad thing is if it trends too far west it will scrape the coast and we all get to see the north east side of the storm. Since they rotate counter clockwise it would push massive amounts of water  into bays, up rivers, etc. Making a run up the gulf coast is a worst case scenario we don't want. The Indudance companies don't want that either because the claims would be staggering and it would take years to settle everything. Out house is block, our roof strapped down, but we have probably 40-50 trees that could fall and take the house out. One is a live oak that has a trunk that's probably 50-60" in diameter. So yeah, turn north Irma!

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2017, 05:23:09 PM »
Fun fact from the twirtter account of philklotzbach  who is a Meteorologist at CSU specializing in Atlantic basin seasonal hurricane forecasts. (ie. one of the NHC forecasters)

So here goes.

Hurricane Irma has produced more Accumulated Cyclone Energy than have 12 entire Atlantic hurricane seasons in satellite era (since 1966).

Janetplanet

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2017, 06:20:48 PM »
Take care NP.
handle every stressful situation like a dog.  pee on it and walk away.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2017, 10:45:57 PM »
The news hype is agonizing.

Amidala

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2017, 12:42:14 PM »
Did you see the comparison of size for Andrew vs. Irma by a meteorologist. Devastatingly huge.

Gore I hope your Sis is ok. One of my friends is in Melbourne, and they did not evacuate. I am most worried about them.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2017, 05:23:12 PM »
Irma is big, but not huge. It also a really strong storm. Sadly the track has shifted west. The happiest place on earth will be the windiest place on earth for a little while on Sunday if the track holds. Got the generator up and running today (thanks mostly to my neighbor) I have a few more things to do tomorrow.a lot of stores have closed or will be closing tomorrow and will not reopen until Tuesday. The kids have off Monday as their school has been converted into a shelter.

Sadly there's a ton of people evacuating and there is not enough room at the shelters for them. This will be the first time a storm will travel the full length of the state. It is projected to still be a hurricane with it reaches Valdosta, albeit a weak category one.

So right now it appears that our weather will start to deteriorate just after noon on Sunday and progressively get worse until the expected peak or "oh shit" times from probably 9:00pm until 3:00 am.  We've gone through storms before and come out mostly unscathed. I hope our luck hasn't run out. If I can I'll check back in Sunday all thing permitting. It's been a really interesting week here in Florida.

Amidala

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2017, 09:13:22 PM »
It IS huge, NP! Don't fool yourself!

Amidala

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2017, 09:19:03 PM »
Biggest storm ever recorded in history, anywhere.

clp_lives

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2017, 09:22:15 PM »
Big but not the biggest or anywhere near the highest wind gusts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tropical_cyclone_records

Biggest storm ever recorded in history, anywhere.

Lifetime

• Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2017, 07:23:32 AM »
And at least 12 of those occurred before Gore did the ranting. And... those are the ones that we have calculated...wonder how many occurred before 1899???

I found this interesting and wonder... who is/was right and how much politics played in either...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-the-global-cooling-story-came-to-be/

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2017, 11:14:45 AM »
In terms of actual SIZE it i large, hot huge. In terms of STRENGTH it's a friggin monster. Let's not confuse the two. Anyhow it's on now. With current track the eye will pass right over our house. As with all things hurricane it's a moment to moment thing. With the change in the track I will be hanging my 3/4" 12 ply polyform plywood over most of the windows. Evacuation is not really an option at this point. The constant shift in track pretty much paralyzed a lot of us since yesterday it was going up the center of the state, now it's coming up the gulf coast. Either way, the state is going to get hammered.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.