by Janetplanet
[November 23, 2017, 09:40:42 PM]
Dead Air
by Amidala
[November 15, 2017, 12:34:55 PM]
Happy Birthday lifefeedsonlife
by The Wraith
[November 13, 2017, 05:54:16 PM]
Happy Birthday to any Jarheads out there!!!!!
by NightmarePatrol
[November 10, 2017, 11:18:31 PM]
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[November 02, 2017, 09:59:04 AM]
Harvey
by NightmarePatrol
[October 02, 2017, 05:26:19 PM]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Harvey  (Read 3631 times)

Lifetime

• Self Important Starfish
  • Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
Re: Harvey
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2017, 04:41:22 PM »
Thanks GORE...you beat me to it.... :rofl:

The Pope says that we cause the issue...I wonder if he would like real scientist to lay out their opinion on GOD??? Hmmmm Many Scientists are atheists, agnostics and those that believe that Science is THE religion. Good luck PaPa.

...Most unbiased studies show  ...

Amidala

« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2017, 06:39:51 PM »
There are many scientists who are Christian believers, too. Check out Bio Logos - one organization for such people.

Amidala

« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2017, 10:50:26 PM »
Keep in mind, too...the Pope's viewpoint is that of preserving human life and the value of human life, according to what the Bible says ( God's viewpoint, if you will), which is that we are to be good stewards of our Earth, for the benefit and flourishing of mankind, to the glory of God.

Scientists' viewpoint is that evidentiary data tells us that the Earth is warming, and it is to our benefit as a human species to pay attention to this data and see what we can do about it to preserve and value life. After all, science in one form or another (discovery, invention ) has given us every speck of technology we have on Earth and given,is all,of the conveniences we take for granted.

The purpose or goal of both viewpoints are not dissimilar.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 11:30:39 PM by Amidala »

Lifetime

• Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2017, 07:42:31 AM »
Found this interesting...

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulate at Bergen Norway.

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone.

Exploration expeditions report scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3100 meters showed the Gulf Stream still very warm.

Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelt, which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds.

Within a few years, it is predicted, that due to the ice melt, the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

I must apologize....

I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP and published in the Washington Post... 94 years ago...

This must have been caused by Model T Ford emissions or possibly horse and cattle flatulence?

https://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/050/mwr-050-11-0589a.pdf

bighair80s

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2017, 12:08:50 PM »
All this data. 

The death rate for humans is still 100%. 

If the meaning of life is to "save the planet" for the next iteration of humans with brief lifespans I guess it makes sense to pretend our ideas, means and ends somehow have significance in and of themselves. 

The older I get the harder it is to "whistle past the graveyard".  Our human politics, religions,ideologies, arts, knowledge, pleasures, etc  seem more like diversionary substitutes for the authentic meaning I intuitively sense but cannot grasp.   We are supposed to be more knowledgeable as we age, the older I get its not that know less but more that I sense there's a lot more I don't know. The horizons have grown exponentially. 

I'm weird. I know. 

"this space for rent"

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2017, 03:37:02 PM »
Speaking of believes, the prez just took a couple questions in the cabinet room. He said a few words about how awful it was that the hurricanes were the biggest and strongest ever.

Then, in the same sentence, he said, "and that's why, more than ever, we need tax cuts and meaningful tax reform."

I'm a little confused on what the correlation is between the two.

Amidala

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2017, 07:10:28 PM »
All this data. 

The death rate for humans is still 100%. 

If the meaning of life is to "save the planet" for the next iteration of humans with brief lifespans I guess it makes sense to pretend our ideas, means and ends somehow have significance in and of themselves. 

The older I get the harder it is to "whistle past the graveyard".  Our human politics, religions,ideologies, arts, knowledge, pleasures, etc  seem more like diversionary substitutes for the authentic meaning I intuitively sense but cannot grasp.   We are supposed to be more knowledgeable as we age, the older I get its not that know less but more that I sense there's a lot more I don't know. The horizons have grown exponentially. 

I'm weird. I know. 

My all time favorite movie line is Jeff Goldblum's statement from Jurassic Park:  "Life finds a way."  Because its true. 

The issue is, will we as humans continue to foster life as we know and improve upon it, or will we self-destruct? I think its in our best interest as individuals, and as a species, to care for our "pale blue dot" but many others do not see it that way.

gore range

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2017, 12:18:29 PM »
It’s a fricking Harvey/Irma hurricane thread with our know associates impacted by the multiple record setting natural disasters.

No surprise, rather than emoting and consoling with our  forum brethern and the other millions directly impacted by events, biased self-serving politics continue to raise its self-serving presence and domination.

But it is the internet….no silly bipedal homopod it’s master.

I’ll play.

The libertard mob can’t even keep their money-grabbing self-serving political-controlling lingo straight hour to hour, much less day to day, or month to month.

Global cooling….global warming……climate change…..more hurricanes…..rising sea levels....disappearing arctic glaciers.......Plague , War, Famine, and Death.

Even the most learned human minds on the planet remain are still learning about the dynamics of a relatively simple thunderstorm, and are essentially utterly clueless in understanding the fundamental mechanics of climate…… much less climate change.

Our planet has always been in flux and will continue to be in unknown flux.

Climate has [a]always changed and will always change.....contrary to the self-serving emotional loons’ manta falsely implying human kind will have any ability what so ever to control climate for the foreseeable multi-millennia, while –

….awaiting their desirable fictional arrival of a Captain Jean Luc Picard-esque interplanetary society.

The world’s most educated minds cannot even project the existence,  much less the path or intensity, of a relatively simple thunderstorm,  or even fundamental rain shower, 24 hours out.

Yet the self-serving Orwellian mind speak/crimes loons are unfortunately effectively maneuvering to thin your wallets in pushing their mid control doublespeak of  predicting of what is going to happen in 30, 40 or more years, while –

….endeavoring to mandate an ever growing psychobabble equal-opportunity list of what you can and can not drive, how you can and can not drive, how you can and can your warm your own ass in your own home, what you can and can not wear, what you can and can not eat,  what you can and can not buy in order to “save the planet”, and now-

….what you can and can not say.

New flash-

….the planet will survive until an extra-terrestrial event ends its existence.

The self-entitled bi-pedal homopods who erroneously delude their silly instant self-gratification selves they are at the top of food chain on the other hand…..

There have been at least six major mass extinction events alone on this planet where the overwhelming majority and quantity of life in existence on the planet at the time –

….was killed off.

…..all without the intervention of or even distant concept of the silly self-deluding, instantaneous gratification, self-entitled bi-pedal homopods who are now amazingly inversely growing more ignorant with the inversely proportional explosion of instantly available knowledge.

Climates will continue to change no matter what the not-at-the-top-of and still well-down-IN-the-food-chain food-fodder bi-pedal homopods do or do  not do.

Anthropomorphic global warming?  Anthropomorphic climate change?

The polar ice caps on Mars are shrinking…

....those ignorant Martians….. dear goddess of the cosmos, what will those sad-eyed Martian carnivorous Martian polar bears do now if Martians continue to kill their planet?

Libertard loons are currently effectively striving to control your lives and take your money to fund their political agenda because -

….YOU are the problem, YOU are killing the planet….

….a planet which of course-

….is a planet that will continue to survive even without the existence of bipedal homopods, and-

…. will survive until the Sun novas or the planet is pummeled by a increasing in variety and size of a plethora of unknown extra-terrestrial objects or planet killer events.

The reality is bipedal hompods should be realistically studying and striving implementing adapting to the uncontrollable inevitable planetary climate change on our unknown number of remaining millennia existence on our third rock from the sun, in an insignificant solar system, in an outer distant insignificant quadrant of the galaxy, in an rather remote insignificant sector of the known universe.

But it’s a free country….

…..it just can’t possibly get any sillier. :D

Amidala

« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2017, 01:42:05 PM »
Not sure what you are referring to, Gore. Even the Urban Dictionary does not have a definition (nor dictionary.com nor the Science Dictionary.) for Homopod.  Self Foot?  Same Foot?  ???

Of course, Stephen Hawking's viewpoint is somewhat different from Gore's, which you can read below, if you are interested.  Note his comments about aggression.  Funny how that works, huh?
https://futurism.com/stephen-hawking-we-are-close-to-the-tipping-point-where-global-warming-becomes-irreversible/

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:56:36 PM by Amidala »

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2017, 06:35:30 PM »
The human production of carbon dioxide has been identified as THE dependent variable for global warming or climate change or whatever the new phrase will be. I find that dubious given the myriad of INdependent variables at play on this little blue dot in space.

That being said - we are a messy species. We've cluttered / littered up the joint with all kinds of crap for a long time, most of which has happened in the last 100 years or so when we started manufacturing stuff that would stick around for a looooonnnng time before nature broke it down into component parts. I'm all for recycling. I'm cool with renewable energy. I'm hep on reducing my carbon footprint and garbage footprint.

But I am in agreement with those things VOLUNTARILY. I think good stewardship for my kids / grandkids / great great great grandkids is worthwhile, but not because some Oligarch somewhere has convinced some schmuck legislator to pass a law penalizing me if I don't go along with their particular take on the program while they all the while live a jet set lifestyle.

Mmmm - no. Al Gore can take man-bear-pig, his misaligned chakras, and his self-righteous mantras and sequester them where the sun don't shine.
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

Amidala

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2017, 06:56:01 PM »
You realize, LFOL, that the population of the US is only ~5% of the world population.

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2017, 07:14:57 AM »
Yup. And the vast majority of our species lives on far less than than the poorest of US.
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

gore range

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2017, 08:55:40 AM »
…Stephen Hawking's viewpoint is somewhat different from Gore's. ..

Famous physicist Stephen Hawking issued a warning to humanity in response to President Donald Trump’s recent decision to withdraw the United States from the Paris Climate Agreement. Speaking to BBC News prior to a cosmology conference being held at the University of Cambridge this week in honor of his 75th birthday, Hawking said that Trump’s decision could cause irrevocable harm to the planet.

“We are close to the tipping point where global warming becomes irreversible,” the celebrated scientist told Pallab Ghosh from the BBC. The consequences, he explained, would be truly dire for the planet. “Trump’s action could push the Earth
iiover  the brink,

to become like Venus

with a temperature of two hundred and fifty degrees

and raining sulphuric acid
.…”

….just a hunch-

….another one of those –

...Most unbiased studies show ...

Amidala

« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »
As you yourself said, Gore, the Earth is in constant flux....

Stephen Hawking is a theoretical physicist. His research, just to clarify, does not consist of "studies" or "experiments" in the traditional sense, but rather he contemplates AND - this is the key part - theoretical physics and astrophysics and such have to come up with the MATHEMATICS to support their theories. Which he does in his head, since he is so debilitated by his ALS.   Hawking is now 75. He has been observing both the Universe and Mankind for a long, long time.

Let's look at this issue another way -- TIME. And this is merely an illustration.   I'm sure many of you have seen something like this on TV at one time or another.  If Earth's time of existence is condensed into 24 hours, modern humans have existed for exactly 1 second of that history. In that one second, we have formed society, made big discoveries, wonderful inventions and traveled in space. We have also fought, killed and maimed and actually invented and used a nuclear weapon. We have existed in a hardly noticable bit of time compared to the Earth's and the Universe's history, and done all that!

So.

What does that imply for us? What does that imply for future generations?

If you read the article I posted, Stephen Hawking also said this:

Hawking previously predicted that humanity’s days on Earth are numbered — down by about a hundred years, to be exact. At that time, Hawking posited, we’d have no choice but to flee to another planet. It’s a point he reiterated in the BBC exclusive.      (PLEASE NOTE---> )      “I fear evolution has inbuilt greed and aggression to the human genome,” Hawking said. “There is no sign of conflict lessening, and the development of militarized technology and weapons of mass destruction could make that disastrous. The best hope for the survival of the human race might be independent colonies in space.”     Whether or not we leave Earth for good eventually, the ongoing climate problem is one we have to deal with for as long as we remain here. As Hawking noted, “Climate change is one of the great dangers we face, and it’s one we can prevent if we act now.”

Given the context of the history of man as being one second in the history of the Earth, Hawking fears that yes, Global Warming is real, long term threat to HUMAN LIFE (not the 3rd rock Earth, as Gore statements imply,  YES, GORE the 3rd ROCK will exist!)  AND that in such a short time, he observes that greed and aggression have become so prevalent among mankind as to possibly become imbed in the human genome.   This comment made me reflect on how, over the years, several on this forum, express themselves through using terms for weapons and such.  A gun being shot from a moving motorcycle. A well-armed bunker. and on and on. Protecting MY stuff.  MY flag. We have seen it here in our tiny little forum as significant thought pattern! Isn't that fascinating? A nano-internet-microcosm reflecting an observation of the renowned Stephen Hawking.   Scary, actually.

So, my point is this:   Human life is a rare and magnificent part of the Universe, but with a very short presence in the Universe.  What we have is special and worth preserving, in my humble  opinion. Right now, with 7B+ residents on the planet, it will take more than the independent, individual decision to recycle or use LEDs by a few knuckleheads to preserve the species.   I believe that God in His infinite wisdom and glory, who knows far more than we can ever hope to, created us for His pleasure and has offered us the ability to preserve our Goldilocks pale blue dot as habitat. But if we don't care for it, we will lose it, over time.  It won't happen quickly, not in any of our lifetimes but it will happen. Extinctions happen all the time among species and there is nothing that guarantees our survival.

Its never too early to behave like a responsible person, a responsible family - village - city - state - nation - planet population. But maybe with our tendency to greed and aggression, it is. Maybe we won't survive.  I certainly don't know.   But I hope we do, I really hope so. Life is beautiful and wonderful and Life Finds A Way.

Janetplanet

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2017, 10:49:21 AM »
What a great way to start my day - inspirational and logical.  What a refreshing change from all of the rhetoric and angst.
handle every stressful situation like a dog.  pee on it and walk away.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.