by Janetplanet
[November 23, 2017, 09:40:42 PM]
Dead Air
by Amidala
[November 15, 2017, 12:34:55 PM]
Happy Birthday lifefeedsonlife
by The Wraith
[November 13, 2017, 05:54:16 PM]
Happy Birthday to any Jarheads out there!!!!!
by NightmarePatrol
[November 10, 2017, 11:18:31 PM]
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[November 02, 2017, 09:59:04 AM]
Harvey
by NightmarePatrol
[October 02, 2017, 05:26:19 PM]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Harvey  (Read 3631 times)

Amidala

• Self Important Starfish
Re: Harvey
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2017, 11:29:42 AM »
…Stephen Hawking's viewpoint is somewhat different from Gore's. ..

Famous physicist Stephen Hawking issued a warning to humanity in response to President Donald Trump’s recent decision to withdraw the United States from the Paris Climate Agreement. Speaking to BBC News prior to a cosmology conference being held at the University of Cambridge this week in honor of his 75th birthday, Hawking said that Trump’s decision could cause irrevocable harm to the planet.

“We are close to the tipping point where global warming becomes irreversible,” the celebrated scientist told Pallab Ghosh from the BBC. The consequences, he explained, would be truly dire for the planet. “Trump’s action could push the Earth
iiover  the brink,

to become like Venus

with a temperature of two hundred and fifty degrees

and raining sulphuric acid
.…”

….just a hunch-

….another one of those –

...Most unbiased studies show ...

As an aside, without plant life on earth , we would not have the various elemental cycles that one learns about in school:  Water Cycle, CO2 Cycle, Nitrogen Cycle and so forth. All of these cycles happen without us noticing and PLANTS, magnificent, glorious plants, with their ability to take in CO2 and give off O2, are a key part of these cycles, which are necessary to maintain the habitat for life, which includes a livable temperature, plenty of water and O2 to breathe.  The Goldilocks Zone. If our elemental cycles were to be interrupted because of life extinctions, well, yes, the Earth would become a nasty, inhabitable rock.

Sulfur can exist as a solid, liquid or gas, depending on temperature.  A hot planet - sulfur would vaporize, then cool and recondense. Raining sulfur.  Not inconceivable. 

bighair80s

« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2017, 12:02:24 PM »
Using words like "we" "us" etc when designating blame, culpability, rarely means "me".  I know this because I've unfortunately done this myself.  My own conscience informs me the sincerity of my conviction of error by producing in me humility. This is something taught me by my parents and not the natural inclination of my nature. It's no great accomplishment  to admit oneself  a member of a group of wrongdoers then claim no culpability because you think you're above the rest of the group via enlightenment.  Sort of like... "your white privilege is showing" - said the Privileged White Person. 

This sounds more believable: (I did read this book when I was a teenager)
  "Gradually it was disclosed to me that the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts. This line shifts. Inside us, it oscillates with the years. And even within hearts overwhelmed by evil, one small bridgehead of good is retained. And even in the best of all hearts, there remains ... an unuprooted small corner of evil.

Since then I have come to understand the truth of all the religions of the world: They struggle with the evil inside a human being (inside every human being). It is impossible to expel evil from the world in its entirety, but it is possible to constrict it within each person.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago 1918-1956"

"this space for rent"

bighair80s

« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2017, 12:04:58 PM »
My apologies to Gore And the rest of you for hyjacking this thread.

Back OT

NP, I trust you guys doing well as you have electricity back?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 01:52:47 PM by bighair80s »
"this space for rent"

gore range

« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2017, 12:08:39 PM »
....it just can't possibly get any sillier ;) ....

Amidala

« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2017, 12:29:15 PM »
....it just can't possibly get any sillier ;) ....

And only a Homopod would know....

gore range

« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »
Re:

[/]

gore range

« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2017, 03:02:15 PM »
....over 70% of Florida customers who lost power last week now have power....

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-bz-fpl-irma-power-update-20170914-story.html

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2017, 04:53:01 PM »
I've been trying to list all the crap that has gone on in the past week. I've been a carpenter, lumberjack, electrician, mechanic (sort of), lawn service guy, gofer and a lot of other things.

We were without power for almost 48 hours. From a PA context that probably doesn't sound too bad, but with no electric we have no AC or water (well). The house got hot. We were really happy to see four trucks from the power coop roll in on Tuesday. There was not much of the state that wasn't affected by Irma. She was large storm, but not huge. What was huge about her was her wind field. Lee, Collier, Monroe, Dade and a lot of other counties got hammered and in places were obliterated.

All in all, it's an event I don't want to have to repeat any time soon. If I ever finish the event log I'll post it. It's was pretty much non-stop prevention, mitigation and recovery activities for a few days.

gore range

« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2017, 06:15:36 PM »
...We were without power for almost 48 hours. From a PA context that probably doesn't sound too bad, but with no electric we have no AC or water (well). The house got hot ...

https://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/duromax-xp5500e-5500-watt-75-hp-portable-electric-start-gas-generator

....you can get them in dual gasoline-propane powered. Don't have to worry about stocking stale gas with propane.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2017, 10:40:04 PM »
We have a small genny. It was enough to run both fridges and give us internet and wifi. I'd actually like to have  genny that's about 15k. That would be enough to carefully run the house provided we don't do laundry, run the stove and all the other 220 or high draw. Of course if I go that far I might as well get a whole house unit. Of course I'd have to sell the truck...

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2017, 11:00:53 PM »
Don't forget Gore, I have access to a lot of 100LL in my neighborhood. Works great in a genny, you just have to run it dry every time.

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2017, 06:01:19 AM »
I've been trying to list all the crap that has gone on in the past week. I've been a carpenter, lumberjack, electrician, mechanic (sort of), lawn service guy, gofer and a lot of other things.

...All in all, it's an event I don't want to have to repeat any time soon.
Great to hear it was a relatively minor disaster for your household vs. the months or years or recovery it will take other floridians or islanders to get any semblance or normality.

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2017, 06:03:40 AM »
....over 70% of Florida customers who lost power last week now have power....

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-bz-fpl-irma-power-update-20170914-story.html

If Obama was still in office, the crawl across the screen on Fox would exclaim, "Nearly 30% of Florida customers who lost power last week still don't have power."

gore range

« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2017, 07:59:46 AM »
... access to a lot of 100LL in my neighborhood...

....oh, yea.....and a lot, too  :D

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2017, 08:29:40 AM »

...All in all, it's an event I don't want to have to repeat any time soon.
Great to hear it was a relatively minor disaster for your household vs. the months or years or recovery it will take other floridians or islanders to get any semblance or normality.

Oh yeah. We know dodged a bullet (or canon ball). If we wouldn't have gotten our neighbors mast fixed we'd be without power until close to halloween. When they come by to heat the transformers back up, if theirs any damage to any unit the transformer feeds then they won't heat it back up. And permits then become required. The permitting offices are going to be buried in requests!  We busted our butts Tuesday to get everything ripped our and replaced. Out electric co-op kicked butt!

We also cut up, split and hauled away the 60' maple that went over on the line on Tuesday too. I was glad I cold take a shower that day!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.