by Janetplanet
[November 23, 2017, 09:40:42 PM]
Dead Air
by Amidala
[November 15, 2017, 12:34:55 PM]
Happy Birthday lifefeedsonlife
by The Wraith
[November 13, 2017, 05:54:16 PM]
Happy Birthday to any Jarheads out there!!!!!
by NightmarePatrol
[November 10, 2017, 11:18:31 PM]
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[November 02, 2017, 09:59:04 AM]
Harvey
by NightmarePatrol
[October 02, 2017, 05:26:19 PM]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead Air  (Read 1220 times)

bighair80s

• Self Important Starfish
Re: Dead Air
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 10:16:58 AM »
“But it does get me thinking about what matters to people” -NP

That’s an interesting take NP.  MR BH has a Facebook page he rarely used or looked at.  I never had one. We share it now.  When I say share I mean I hyjacked it.  Lol.  Seriously though, I looked back at it’s timeline and see a theme. Family vacations and medical emergencies. I wonder what others see though?

I actually like mr bh’s outlook on social media.  He doesn’t care about it. Not one “selfie” exists of him. Lol.
"this space for rent"

Janetplanet

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 10:33:23 AM »
I am one of the guilty persons who post pictures of meals or recipes that I want to capture.  Cooking is a great enjoyment of mine and when I see a recipe I want to save all I have to do is share it and it is in my information.  Wonderful tool which I use a lot.  Don't have too many FB friends and have definitely lost a lot due to politics.  Facebook has its good points and bad points.  I choose to enjoy the good points and disregard the rest.  You have to admit that you can't beat it for pictures of the nieces and nephews that I wouldn't see any other way.
handle every stressful situation like a dog.  pee on it and walk away.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 11:19:58 AM »
Facebook is interesting stew. The amount of information that is mined from it is pretty astounding. I could go on about this, but this, but I won't do it here in public space. Let's just say everything you see and everything you click is recorded and passed on to other people who take the data, digest and sell the results to other people. Facebook wants to be the only social web site on the internet. They have the money, equipment, bandwidth and leverage to accomplish this. The count of internet forums has dropped significantly in the past few years. So yeah... they are winning.

Lifetime

• Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »
Pictures I get are put in folders on an external HD with dates and connotations...

I am one of the guilty persons who post pictures of meals or recipes that I want to capture.  Cooking is a great enjoyment of mine and when I see a recipe I want to save all I have to do is share it and it is in my information.  Wonderful tool which I use a lot.  Don't have too many FB friends and have definitely lost a lot due to politics.  Facebook has its good points and bad points.  I choose to enjoy the good points and disregard the rest.  You have to admit that you can't beat it for pictures of the nieces and nephews that I wouldn't see any other way.

The Wraith

• Won't Go Away
  • Error never lies with facts but how they are used.
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 02:37:07 PM »
NP is so very correct! All the information that they (Social Media Entities) collect is also sold to different organizations to use in their metrics. It is one big information collector that marketing and analytic people use to determine what you are looking at, clicking on, and commenting on so they can bombard you with ads or influence your views and beliefs. People just click "accept" and think those programs are harmless, but they can actually control certain parts of your phones and transmit data back to the company. Ever wonder why you may be having a chat with a friend about something and when you log into your computer or do something on your phone there are advertisements or stories about that same topic? You are now inviting all these same companies into your home to monitor everything you do by calling out to Siri, Google, or Cortana. Those things are constantly monitoring your conversations waiting for you to say those magic words. If it is electronic, then it can be compromised by someone other than who it is intended for.

The world is one big electronic sampling tool and focus group. Everyone is now data waiting to be mined and exploited for others financial gain. This data mining has been being used in elections now for at least 10 years.

“Is there any point in public debate in a society where hardly anyone has been taught how to think, while millions have been taught what to think?” ― Peter Hitchens

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 03:10:09 PM »
That's in part what happens. The bigger part of it really is that they are selling the audience. (that's us... we're "the product") and they sell access too the audience. (again... us... "the product"). I can't discuss some of the things that happen and the mechanics of all that (certainly not here)  are involved. Google does not sell names, data etc per-se. I don't know about Apple, Microsoft or Amazon. Amazon is a massive IT player, but more in the business sector

The ones that buy and sell your information are the intellus and other people search places. The rest horde it and sell fairly blind access to it. I work at a mid to large sized research corporation and we have about 150 petabytes of storage at last count and we are growing pretty fast. That translates into 150,000,000 gigabytes of disk space. Compared to the big players we're pretty tiny. But we've been around a long time and have have something nobody else has, so we get to sell our services to the big guys.

gore range

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 08:07:28 PM »
GBs of commercially mined data  available on millions of single individuals was purchased and utilized by the Trump campaign to productively refine and  focus their campaign efforts resulting in Trump winning the election hands down.

Ironically, when approached by the same huge IT data firms, the Clinton campaign stated they did not need the same commercially available social media mined data.

....oops. :o

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 06:14:48 AM »
I'm sure the DNC get approached by numerous companies and buys data multiple sources. THey have their own data sciences department. Data sciences is a specialized area inside IT that does some pretty cool (and crazy) stuff. They literally turn the data upside down, inside out, shake it, etc looking for numerous things. Any statement made by Clinton about not needing data would have been pure hubris on her part,

The Wraith

• Won't Go Away
  • Error never lies with facts but how they are used.
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 11:58:00 AM »
The previous president was able to use that data pretty effectively...... they invested heavily in setting up the infrastructure which Mrs. Clinton turned away from. Just keep in mind that the infrastructure is still in place.

I apologize if we hijacked the topic, but most people take these things for granted as a convenience when they can actually be more erosion of privacy.

“Is there any point in public debate in a society where hardly anyone has been taught how to think, while millions have been taught what to think?” ― Peter Hitchens

Amidala

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 12:00:01 PM »
Industries have always collected data about their customers, clients, patients, etc. Its just that now it's much easier to do with computers, and even easier for criminals and such.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 01:30:48 PM »
They've been doing it with computers since the 1980's. Right around Y2K "data warehousing" became a big topic in IT even though it had been going on for years. There are companies out there with exabytes of information squirreled away on people living and dead. One of the things we collect data on is people buying habits. (there are many more) The usual example we provide are know as the hot dog report. Literally we take out data and look at hot dog purchases. Believe me when I tell you there are hundreds of brands of hot dogs. However interestingly enough when you add in city, state, ethnicity, economic demographics and even what time of the day some really interesting pictures start to emerge.

The same method is used with the voter roles. The who voted lists are provided back to the entity that issued the registration, party affiliation, precinct and a host of other factors. Once they have that data and mix it with other data I'm sure they can come up with some pretty interesting numbers. It's all a pretty fascinating process really.

gore range

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 11:54:49 PM »

Amidala

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2017, 12:58:44 PM »
NP - in the 70s, when I worked at the JCPenney Credit Office in Greentree, every bit of information we obtained on credit card holders was recorded via punch cards into their system. We recorded data by hand in a prescribed fashion and the cards for sent to DP.  Watching the changes since then is still amazing to me.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2017, 04:30:49 PM »
The the number of data sources has increased probably a thousand fold since then. Even you turn off windows nasty "phone features" it will still send data to microsoft thousands of times a day. What exactly it's sending isn't fully known, but you can bet it's not your desktop color scheme. Then there's your phone, firestick, chromecast, cable box, DVR, thermostat, your car (if it's newer), The list goes on and on.

IC2ITUC

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 08:07:06 AM »
I am probably one of the few people who has never had a Starbucks coffee and has never done Facebook !  I like to do things different than what the "In Crowd" or "Latest Thing" is out there.  For instance, I remember that when "Collars turned UP in the back" was the "cool thing to do" back in the 70's ??, at the beach that a beach house friend, Jack ( we looked a lot alike and some thought we were brothers), and I would fold ours UNDER at the beach bars/clubs.  The girls would come up to us and ask : "why are your collars Under "?.  We had a pat answer which was, " We are different, and don't want to be like all these other A** Holes in here !  Guess who met the most women ! ( Not bragging, "Just the Facts" Jack")  Also when IZOG shirts were also the rage there with their little alligator emblem on the front, Jack found a ""Protest Shirt" with an alligator UPSIDE DOWN on the front.  He bought 2 red ones and we would wear them at the clubs with the same results. Facebook is good for all you folks but currently I can live without it.  The less the Government and some people know about me, the better is my current Creed !
"There are few bargains in parachutes or healthcare"!  "The Mind is like a parachute, it functions best when open"!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.