by IC2ITUC
[Today at 01:23:48 AM]
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[Yesterday at 09:27:24 PM]
* CLP REPORT *
by guapodugh
[Yesterday at 03:37:32 PM]
Getting personal and childish... found along the way...
by gore range
[January 15, 2019, 01:17:59 PM]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: More on climate change  (Read 32280 times)

Amidala

Re: More on climate change
« Reply #180 on: December 25, 2018, 05:27:48 PM »
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 05:39:43 PM by Amidala »

gore range

• Self Important Starfish
« Reply #181 on: December 25, 2018, 11:02:48 PM »

Amidala

« Reply #182 on: December 25, 2018, 11:57:49 PM »
I am, no doubt, photo posting challenged here in Old School Forum Land! 😂🤣😂🤣 It was a funny meme!

Amidala

« Reply #183 on: December 26, 2018, 09:42:24 AM »
Anakin has a little saying, "Never live in a flood plain or on the bend in a road."

This translates to never living below the grade of a train track, interstate highway or on the outside bend of a road.

Why? Because Railroad tracks  and interstate highways are built to " survive " 500 -year, 1,000 year floods, etc to keep the infrastructure intact. If your home is below this, you might be flooded out at some point. 

A good visualisation of this are the homes north of Saegertown - houses & trailers on the right,creekside of the road, while the old train track is elevated on the left, heading North.

Of course as sea levels rise, coastal areas likely will be affected and using large stationary objects like train tracks and interstate highways are a GREAT inficator of change . A built in measuringmstick.

Ah, geography at work!

Amidala

« Reply #184 on: December 26, 2018, 04:21:58 PM »
Pretty cool Pale Blue Dot photos.. my favorite is the 1990 Voyager 1 Pale Blue Dot photo from 4 billion miles - really shows our place in the Universe. What's your favourite earth photo?

https://www.popsci.com/best-images-earth-from-space?con=TrueAnthem&dom=fb&lnk=TA&src=SOC&utm_campaign=&utm_content=5c22a16c00bd4700019a64e6&utm_medium=&utm_source=#page-3

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #185 on: December 26, 2018, 06:11:07 PM »
There are so many spectacular photos of earth I could no even begin to pick a real favorite. This one though speaks to me I guess.

gore range

« Reply #186 on: December 27, 2018, 05:10:17 PM »
....stranded alone and left for dead on a neighboring world, taking a reflective break to sit and gaze back at your distant home glimmering in the hostile evening twilight,  still  month's away, to where you are working to return alive....,

Amidala

« Reply #187 on: December 27, 2018, 05:29:34 PM »
One of my favorites...space AND BOTANY! 🌠🌱

gore range

« Reply #188 on: December 28, 2018, 07:55:11 PM »
….re:

…the exterior, out-door“Martian” scenes in The Martian were filmed in Wadi Rum, which is a stunning UNESCO world heritage site located in the southern Jordan desert.

I was listening to an interesting TED Talk  segment on NPR last week regarding the developing science of Martian geological history, as part of looking for evidence of Martian life.

They noted that with the growing, huge data base of Martian geological data sampled and collected by the various NASA Martian remote rovers exploring the surface of the red planet, 2/3s of Mars’ northern hemisphere was previously under at least a mile of water.

The scene depicted above in The Martian is geographically and geologically representative of that area on Mars that is now believed by Earth-bound Martian geologists to previously been covered by a huge vast sea, and which due to  Martian global warming and climate change evaporated into the Martian atmosphere and then was burn off dissipating into space.

No mention of it being Marvin the Martian’s fault.

Amidala

« Reply #189 on: December 28, 2018, 08:17:39 PM »
Either way..."Marvin" had to deal with climate change successfully ...or not.
And the earth-bound Martian geologists believed? Or Hypothesized?? 😊 .Sounds like a valid hypothesis to me.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 08:58:54 PM by Amidala »

gore range

« Reply #190 on: January 01, 2019, 07:28:17 AM »

clp_lives

« Reply #191 on: January 01, 2019, 09:35:37 PM »
Some will point to a cold snap and declare global warming a farce.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/weather/2019/01/01/extreme-lack-of-sea-ice-and-autumn-heat-marked-alaska-weather-in-2018/
In Alaska 4 of the past 5 years were the warmest on record and this is not the only area.

bighair80s

« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2019, 09:44:37 AM »
The weather used to be a segue device used  to exchange pleasantries, it is now a weapon to control or degrade one another.  Oh how far we have fallen...
"this space for rent"

Lifetime

• Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2019, 10:11:38 AM »
Segue...maybe.... but it has almost become a "Religion" dare say a Cult. Many people do NOT like stuff crammed down their throats... for EVERY argument on MAN MADE Climate Change there is...an opposing one. All Scientists do not believe the Man Made theory. hence the posturing as one side feels they are belittled by the other. I agree...pleasant debate on this has gone the way of the Wagon Wheel and what many see is the flow of their wealth floating out of their pockets. To many, this is an attack on the wellbeing of self and family. So...it is like bringing up Religion and Politics at the Holiday table. but...it is extended to the rest of the year as well.

You call it FALLEN..I call it an impasse... until concrete evidence is finalized with no options.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.