by gore range
[November 18, 2017, 08:56:41 AM]
Dead Air
by Amidala
[November 15, 2017, 12:34:55 PM]
Happy Birthday lifefeedsonlife
by The Wraith
[November 13, 2017, 05:54:16 PM]
Happy Birthday to any Jarheads out there!!!!!
by NightmarePatrol
[November 10, 2017, 11:18:31 PM]
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[November 02, 2017, 09:59:04 AM]
Harvey
by NightmarePatrol
[October 02, 2017, 05:26:19 PM]

Author Topic: * CLP REPORT *  (Read 1666567 times)

The Wraith

• Won't Go Away
  • Error never lies with facts but how they are used.
Re: * CLP REPORT *
« Reply #10905 on: April 20, 2017, 03:46:32 PM »
The picnic shelters that were taken down were the first two as you entered the park on Reed.

Thanks Bluebomber and SNO.

Justspeculation by me, but a couple of those were in serious need of some love. The roofs were really bad and having the flea markets and any kind of party in there seemed sketchy. Those are easy to rebuild, and with a little better planning, they could probably fit them into the footprint better. My gut tells me that area is ultimately going to be a parking lot for the water park, or to replace the other lost lots.

I see it as a good thing in the short term, but they do need to squeeze every possible penny out of property that is in a condition to produce any kind of revenue.
“Is there any point in public debate in a society where hardly anyone has been taught how to think, while millions have been taught what to think?” ― Peter Hitchens

clp_lives

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #10906 on: April 20, 2017, 03:49:45 PM »
Let's spend the money to tear another vintage structure down instead of repairing the roof.  Makes perfect sense to me when you are trying to save the park and it's nostalgia......  As the song goes ' they paved paradise and put up a parking lot".

The picnic shelters that were taken down were the first two as you entered the park on Reed.

Justspeculation by me, but a couple of those were in serious need of some love. The roofs were really bad and having the flea markets and any kind of party in there seemed sketchy. Those are easy to rebuild, and with a little better planning, they could probably fit them into the footprint better. My gut tells me that area is ultimately going to be a parking lot for the water park, or to replace the other lost lots.

I see it as a good thing in the short term, but they do need to squeeze every possible penny out of property that is in a condition to produce any kind of revenue.

The Wraith

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #10907 on: April 20, 2017, 07:36:25 PM »
Come down off your soap box and unfurl your panties. Those pavilions had no historic value. Kind of ironic that in one breath you complain about the dilapidated state of the park, then complain when they actually do something to possibly improve the appearance and value. Conflicted much? Much waste of oxygen over a seemingly insignificant issue. Wait and see what they do before passing judgement.
“Is there any point in public debate in a society where hardly anyone has been taught how to think, while millions have been taught what to think?” ― Peter Hitchens

jimmyt

• Self Important Starfish
« Reply #10908 on: April 20, 2017, 07:40:18 PM »
NOBS and LIVES..... you are looking in the wrong places. I told you to remember the term, "economic redevelopment area."

SNO: If you are talking about the picnic shelter across from the park office, that would make sense because the lot on which it stood had its sale finalized by the bankruptcy court yesterday.

Also heard through the grapevine that the former Tamaqua Cottage behind the Hotel Conneaut came down yesterday.

Then and Now photo of the Tamaqua Cottage:

this whole transaction is somewhat sketchy....this was an original 99 yr lease....and it expired.....the previous owners failed to pay the taxes, and it went up for sale at a recent judicial sale.....but the lot should have reverted back to the park when the lease expired....i dont see how the county can pass title on the real estate, the house or buildings, yes, but the land, no.....

Sno Cone Breath

• Definately Not Leaving
« Reply #10909 on: April 20, 2017, 08:18:39 PM »
Come down off your soap box and unfurl your panties. Those pavilions had no historic value. Kind of ironic that in one breath you complain about the dilapidated state of the park, then complain when they actually do something to possibly improve the appearance and value. Conflicted much? Much waste of oxygen over a seemingly insignificant issue. Wait and see what they do before passing judgement.

Who are you to say what is historic and what is not? lol

nobs_CLP

• Apparantly Not Leaving
« Reply #10910 on: April 20, 2017, 09:07:14 PM »
Why speculate?

It would have been far less costly to repair the structures than built new meeting the new codes.  FACT!

The trustee don't have any money to spend and they spend it on tearing down one of the few remaining structures in the park!

How stupid can they get?

Maybe they can place another shipping container bathroom on the site to catch the "overflow" crowd going into the water park...

Tell us how will tearing down the picnic pavilions increase revenue?

They may be JUST picnic pavilions but in light of what STILL remains at the park, their loss matters.

So sad.

clp_lives

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #10911 on: April 20, 2017, 10:36:15 PM »
Grass vs. a structure that has been in the park for years, it is not that hard to figure the comparable nostalgic value of that one out, except it seems possibly you.  And you are just speculating on the work needed to repair, thanks for you enlightening input......  Time to click your heels together and dream of a better place.

The Wraith

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #10912 on: April 20, 2017, 10:53:21 PM »

Right, who am I.... LOL.  I have absolutely no experience trying to help restore historic buildings or secure historical designations to obtain grant funding to fix them up..... none. [Wink Wink]

Just to be clear, JimmyT has made the point about Tamaqua. That, I would have considered historical.

As I stated earlier, wait and see what they do instead of attacking my speculation angle. I was not speculating on the condition of the pavilions, I looked at them closely last year. At least 2 of them may have needed significant attention. With the blue streak pavilions still open, and on most days empty, those are more than capable of handling the use that the ones torn down lost. Unless Perry Como himself built those, they were mostly just primitive pole barns. Nostalgic value and real value are two different animals. They could be putting the go cart track there, but then again, I would be speculating. Done wasting oxygen on it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:09:04 PM by The Wraith »

Sno Cone Breath

• Definately Not Leaving
« Reply #10913 on: April 21, 2017, 12:25:19 AM »

Right, who am I.... LOL.  I have absolutely no experience trying to help restore historic buildings or secure historical designations to obtain grant funding to fix them up..... none. [Wink Wink]

Just to be clear, JimmyT has made the point about Tamaqua. That, I would have considered historical.

As I stated earlier, wait and see what they do instead of attacking my speculation angle. I was not speculating on the condition of the pavilions, I looked at them closely last year. At least 2 of them may have needed significant attention. With the blue streak pavilions still open, and on most days empty, those are more than capable of handling the use that the ones torn down lost. Unless Perry Como himself built those, they were mostly just primitive pole barns. Nostalgic value and real value are two different animals. They could be putting the go cart track there, but then again, I would be speculating. Done wasting oxygen on it.

LOL. Okay  ;)

clp_lives

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #10914 on: April 21, 2017, 10:38:22 AM »
Are you speculating or not:
"Just speculation by me, but a couple of those were in serious need of some love."
then:
"I was not speculating on the condition of the pavilions"

As I stated earlier, wait and see what they do instead of attacking my speculation angle.
I was not speculating on the condition of the pavilions, I looked at them closely last year. At least 2 of them may have needed significant attention. With the blue streak pavilions still open, and on most days empty, those are more than capable of handling the use that the ones torn down lost. Unless Perry Como himself built those, they were mostly just primitive pole barns. Nostalgic value and real value are two different animals. They could be putting the go cart track there, but then again, I would be speculating. Done wasting oxygen on it.

gore range

« Reply #10915 on: April 21, 2017, 02:50:51 PM »
For the readers not familiar with the Reed Ave. picnic shelters, they were contructed in the 1950s.  Other than being over six decades old, the now razed picnic shelters have absolutely no documented historical significance or value. Maintenance was not performed on the structures for decades, either by the various park management entities or the numerous volunteer parties who have donated their structural refurbishing services to the park over recent years.

nobs_CLP

• Apparantly Not Leaving
« Reply #10916 on: April 21, 2017, 09:06:11 PM »
GORE and WRAITH  you both are total joke that have noting better to do than try to prove to the "new readers" that you have all the answers and are the most intelligent anonymous bloggers.
Hundreds and even thousands of posts, get a life! LMAO

Who cares if the picnic pavilions have historical significance?

They were one of the few building that remain in a soon to-be-a-memory park.  There loss gets the park closer to the end.
They could have been repaired for a fraction of the cost to rebuild AND FOR A FRACTION OF THE COST TO DEMOLISH THEM.

WINK WINK WRAITH, ...you boast you have experience in restoring historic buildings....WELL OKAY WE BELIEVE YOU...
but...you are nothing on the blog though...
You are anonymous and just like to hear yourself talk. 

...and thanks GORE for the pictures that prove the picnic pavilions could easily be repaired.  They stood strait, plumb and solid....WINK WINK.

gore range

« Reply #10917 on: April 22, 2017, 02:41:43 AM »

Sno Cone Breath

• Definately Not Leaving
« Reply #10918 on: April 25, 2017, 02:21:56 PM »
For the readers not familiar with the Reed Ave. picnic shelters, they were contructed in the 1950s.  Other than being over six decades old, the now razed picnic shelters have absolutely no documented historical significance or value. Maintenance was not performed on the structures for decades, either by the various park management entities or the numerous volunteer parties who have donated their structural refurbishing services to the park over recent years.

Right, and do ANY buildings have any "documented historical significance" other than the Blue Streak which has been recognized by a group of roller coaster enthusiasts?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:57:33 PM by Sno Cone Breath »

gore range

« Reply #10919 on: April 26, 2017, 11:26:14 AM »
Re:

For the newer readers to the thread, built in 1938, the Blue Streak is reported as the 6th oldest US coaster and is one of the two remaining roller coasters in existence which were designed by Ed Vettle Sr. The other Vettle coaster, the Cyclone, built the following year in 1939, is operating at Lakeside Park in Denver, CO. Both coasters have been designated by the American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) as an American Classic Coaster, with the Blue Streak having the distinction of being the first coaster designated by ACE as such. The Blue Streak has been physically modified several times over the decades from its original shallow track form to facilitate operating efficiency.

The current merry-go-round and structure is reported to have been built  at its current location in 1910, and is an example of the at-the-time new innovation of having its horses going up and down as the ride operated.

The Tumble Bug was installed in 1928 and is the last operating original Bug ride in the world. Kennywood Park in Pittsburgh runs the only other Bug in the world, the Turtle, tho the passenger tubs have been altered slightly to present the appearance of a string of turtles. Antidotal evidence suggests the park’s current five tub Tumble Bug train originally operated as six tub train.

The front northwest wing structure of Hotel Conneaut is reported to have been the park auditorium originally built in 1893, which was formerly located just east of the current water tower site. Antidotal evidence suggests the auditorium structure was moved across the park in 1903 and added to the Exposition Hotel expansion to become the at-the-time 300 room Hotel Conneaut. The latest reports note the lodging rooms of the current northwest wing of the hotel have been uninhabitable in recent years. The current hotel ballroom, dining room and rooms south wing was added to 1903 hotel structure in the early 1920s.

The current park office and former post office/first aid building, located at Reed Ave. and Center St., and the former CLP Volunteer Fire Department building, located at Comstock St. and Brown Ave. are the sole structures remaining in the park which were constructed in 1908 following the great park fire in the winter of that year.

There are two concrete wing wall abutments adjacent to the inlet at the north end of Comstock St. which remain from the trolley bridge supporting the early 1900s park trolley line extension from Harmonsburg. 

Several privately owned residential structures in the park date are reported dating from the late 1890s.

Several efforts over recent years have been put forth endeavoring to officially recognize/designate the park as a historical entity, but such efforts not have come to fruition. The previous Moyers board of trustees was successful in filing the paperwork to have the park deemed eligible to be on the National Register of Historic Places; however I am not aware of any reports of ongoing efforts to nominate the park for that designation. The park is reported to be the 10th oldest amusement park in the US.
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 725 726 727 [728] 729 730 731 732 733 ... 744   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.