[Yesterday at 05:58:19 PM]
More on climate change
by Amidala
[December 11, 2018, 12:31:16 PM]
....bang bang....
by gore range
[December 04, 2018, 08:37:38 AM]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: More on climate change  (Read 27045 times)

Amidala

• Self Important Starfish
Re: More on climate change
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2018, 11:21:00 AM »
Some food for thought regarding the environment. FWIW (which I know is not much to this crowd!)

https://sojo.net/articles/margaret-atwood-christianity-handmaid-s-tale-and-what-faithful-activism-looks-today

Lifetime

• Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2018, 12:14:51 PM »
I had to go to the VA Clinic for an appointment a while back. One of the Veterans I was conversing with started on me about all the vehicles parked in the lot and their use of liquid fuel. I said, most people I know drive vehicles like that to include myself. He shined up and smiled and said "I don't". So I asked if he walked to the clinic and he told me hhe drove his car. Oh really. Seems he was a proud owner of a Tesla. I went out with him to look at it. He said..I don't burn carbon fuels. I agreed, that HE didn't but the manufacturers involved in it's creation did and also increased the volume of harmful metals. He looked quizzically and I asked about the metal, rubber and then the question about those batteries... He said he charges them at home...( Probably from Coal/Oil/NG fired plants ). I basically said that yes be proud you didn't/don't crap in your own yard but have no qualms about crapping in someone else's... He had no idea what new batteries would cost and what they have to do with the old ones... Sometimes we get on the train and have no thought of how we get to our destination, as long as we get there. Shades of Al Gore whose home(s) and planes/vehicles burn more fuels than any 50 of my friends and yet he spews that we shouldn't do what we do... and he is just ONE of the MANY who play the same game.

Amidala's link stated .."Pick a thing that's small enough that you can actually accomplish it." I buy fuel efficient vehicles..sometimes.... use LED bulbs, and sometimes even separate recyclables... Enough for me... small and accomplished... someone else's turn. ;) I am not going to make a lifestyle out of it.

clp_lives

« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2018, 12:36:03 PM »
There is more to an electric car than meets the eye, sure electric is generated partially from fossil fuels, but don't forget electric motors are > 90% efficient and overall electric cars use less than half the "fuel" however it may be generated.
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/10/electric-car-myth-buster-efficiency/

I have kids so I think of their future and that of my potential grandkids etc.  As a farmer knows you take care of the land and it will take care of you.  A farmer knows he can't expect to continue reaping the rewards from his land year after year without putting something back into it.  I view this the same, we can only continue doing what we are doing for so long.  I would prefer to do something about that prior to finding out what those consequences might be even if they do not occur in my lifetime.  And the reality is that "something" is in many cases cheaper than the current alternative, and it creates jobs as well, one of the fastest growing industry for jobs in the US is solar, 17 times the growth of the US economy.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/24/news/economy/solar-jobs-us-coal/index.html

In 2017 167 gigawatts of clean energy was installed globally in just one year.  That alone is half what India consumes annually, a population of 1.3 billion people.  That is a pretty impressive installation globally in just one year.

I had to go to the VA Clinic for an appointment a while back. One of the Veterans I was conversing with started on me about all the vehicles parked in the lot and their use of liquid fuel. I said, most people I know drive vehicles like that to include myself. He shined up and smiled and said "I don't". So I asked if he walked to the clinic and he told me hhe drove his car. Oh really. Seems he was a proud owner of a Tesla. I went out with him to look at it. He said..I don't burn carbon fuels. I agreed, that HE didn't but the manufacturers involved in it's creation did and also increased the volume of harmful metals. He looked quizzically and I asked about the metal, rubber and then the question about those batteries... He said he charges them at home...( Probably from Coal/Oil/NG fired plants ). I basically said that yes be proud you didn't/don't crap in your own yard but have no qualms about crapping in someone else's... He had no idea what new batteries would cost and what they have to do with the old ones... Sometimes we get on the train and have no thought of how we get to our destination, as long as we get there. Shades of Al Gore whose home(s) and planes/vehicles burn more fuels than any 50 of my friends and yet he spews that we shouldn't do what we do... and he is just ONE of the MANY who play the same game.

Amidala's link stated .."Pick a thing that's small enough that you can actually accomplish it." I buy fuel efficient vehicles..sometimes.... use LED bulbs, and sometimes even separate recyclables... Enough for me... small and accomplished... someone else's turn. ;) I am not going to make a lifestyle out of it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:51:15 PM by clp_lives »

gore range

« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2018, 12:45:16 PM »

clp_lives

« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2018, 02:52:06 PM »
Others passing us by......
https://thinkprogress.org/china-renewable-energy-push-f7d2305dc4b9/

China passed the United States in renewable energy investment in 2009 by a mere $14 billion; in the time since, that gap has increased dramatically. In 2017, more than half of global renewable energy investment (nearly $280 billion) came from China. To put that into context, for every $1 the United States put into renewable energy last year, China spent $3.
Much of that investment went into solar power, followed by wind energy. According to Quartz, 26 percent of all national electric production came from renewables, as opposed to the global average of 12 percent.
Developing countries more broadly are proving key to driving investment in renewables. Brazil and India joined China to account for 63 percent of all investment (around $143.5 billion) in renewable energy across the world in 2017. Thatís in stark contrast to Western nations: the United States and Europe account for more than 40 percent of all post-industrial era emissions, but collectively invested only a little over $80 billion in renewable energy in 2017, according to a 2018 U.N. report. China alone invested $126.6 billion.

clp_lives

« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2018, 10:22:38 PM »
One here might still deny it but.....

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a20076490/renewable-power-plants-are-dominating-2018/

A new report from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission finds that of all new electricity generation built in the first two months of 2018, a full 98 percent is renewable.

According to the FERCís Energy Infrastructure Update for February,  the United States added a total of 2,173 megawatts of electricity  generation in January and February combined. Of that, 1,568 megawatts  come from new wind farms and 565 megawatts come from new solar  installations. Only 40 megawatts come from new natural gas plants, and  none come from coal.

On the other side, coal power has a rough road ahead, as the FERC report  predicts that 15,000 megawatts worth of coal plants will close between  now and 2021. By then, new wind power additions will add nearly as much  power as new natural gas plants, and itís likely within a few years  nearly all new power will come from renewable sources.

gore range

« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2018, 11:19:35 AM »

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a20076490/renewable-power-plants-are-dominating-2018/

A new report from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission finds that of all new electricity generation built in the first two months of 2018, a full 98 percent is renewable.

According to the FERCís Energy Infrastructure Update for February, the United States added a total of 2,173 megawatts of electricity generation in January and February combined. Of that, 1,568 megawatts  come from new wind farms and 565 megawatts come from new solar  installations. Only 40 megawatts come from new natural gas plants, and none come from coal.

On the other side, coal power has a rough road ahead, as the FERC report  predicts that 15,000 megawatts worth of coal plants will close between  now and 2021.

.....as it takes eight to ten years start to finish to have a new coal-fired power plant on line, and as since the last newly completely coal fire power went on line in 2013, and as since coal-power energy generation has been in notable decline for years-

....it always delightfully telling to watch oblivious rocket surgeons beating their the-earth-is-dying political penises  :D

clp_lives

« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2018, 06:42:38 PM »
It seems the only "political penis" is here, showing graphs that contradict his claim.  Coal is dying, nothing new is being build in the US and as your graph shows a large portion of the current plants are aging.  Down, down, down we go where it stops, I am sure GORE will tell you he knows.   ;D

According to the FERCís Energy Infrastructure Update for February, the United States added a total of 2,173 megawatts of electricity generation in January and February combined. Of that, 1,568 megawatts  come from new wind farms and 565 megawatts come from new solar  installations. Only 40 megawatts come from new natural gas plants, and none come from coal.

On the other side, coal power has a rough road ahead, as the FERC report  predicts that 15,000 megawatts worth of coal plants will close between  now and 2021.

.....as it takes eight to ten years start to finish to have a new coal-fired power plant on line, and as since the last newly completely coal fire power went on line in 2013, and as since coal-power energy generation has been in notable decline for years-

....it always delightfully telling to watch oblivious rocket surgeons beating their the-earth-is-dying political penises  :D

gore range

« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2018, 07:57:45 PM »
  It seems the only "political penis" is here, showing graphs that contradict his claim.  Coal is dying, nothing new is being build in the US and as your graph shows a large portion of the current plants are aging.  Down, down, down we go where it stops, I am sure GORE will tell you he knows.  ;D

....its a free country-

....folks are free to make stuff up to argue with themselves....

....folks who make stuff up are called liars for a reason....

....priceless  [/]
  :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 08:54:10 AM by gore range »

Lifetime

• Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2018, 03:33:02 PM »
Does that "START to FINISH" represent the FIRST brick or is it including the pile of paperwork needed prior to the first brick?

It seems the only "political penis" is here, showing graphs that contradict his claim.  Coal is dying, nothing new is being build in the US and as your graph shows a large portion of the current plants are aging.  Down, down, down we go where it stops, I am sure GORE will tell you he knows.  ;D

....its a free country-

....folks are free to make stuff up to argue with themselves....

....folks who make stuff up are called liars for a reason....

....priceless  [/]
  :D

clp_lives

« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2018, 12:42:39 PM »
Inflation adjusted cost of electricity.  The actual cost of the electricity is going down, delivery costs are not but the inflation adjusted costs have not changed much from 2006 to 2016.

gore range

« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »

clp_lives

« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2018, 01:44:52 PM »
There you go, changing the time period again. 
Looks like food had quite a bit of inflation as well using YOUR same time period, so what is your point?  And look I used the same time period as a comparison, unlike you do when you try and prove a point......   ;D

https://www.officialdata.org/Food/price-inflation

gore range

« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2018, 06:17:21 PM »
....uh huh

clp_lives

« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2018, 10:57:14 AM »
A narcissist, just like our President.  Not that it is a suprise to anyone here or from their past relationships.  Some people can get along with others, some cannot.......

https://www.quora.com/Do-Narcissists-like-to-have-the-last-word-in-any-conversation

....uh huh

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.