Advanced search  
Recent posts
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[Today at 09:14:19 PM]
* CLP REPORT *
by clp_lives
[Today at 08:17:39 PM]
Tell us how you hated 8 years of OBAMA and less than 2 years of TRUMP...
by clp_lives
[Today at 08:11:48 PM]
....bang bang....
by gore range
[September 26, 2018, 04:55:42 PM]
Sad day
by NightmarePatrol
[September 17, 2018, 06:50:14 PM]
No Topic. Anything Goes.
by NightmarePatrol
[September 12, 2018, 02:39:09 PM]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: More on climate change  (Read 16879 times)

clp_lives

• Self Important Starfish
Re: More on climate change
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2018, 06:36:23 PM »
Clearly that does not tell the whole picture.  Just look at the trend, China is building less than half what it was10 years ago.  The trend is clear.  Also these plants have lower emissions requirements of the rest of the world by far.  China can't just stop replacing their retiring plants overnight, but they are investing hundreds of billions of dollars right now in renewables.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/5/15/15634538/china-coal-cleaner

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/world/asia/china-renewable-energy-investment.html

https://endcoal.org/global-coal-plant-tracker/summary-statistics/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CKsjpMg1dUaQyAszkAocVKMYJWIB1c8dAPUtLCmylAo/edit#gid=0

The more and more the big banks do this the more expensive funding will be to add to the economics or lack there of justification.

.....good to know it will add to the ecomomics or lack there of.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:49:56 PM by clp_lives »

gore range

« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2018, 07:12:32 PM »
Clearly that does not tell the whole picture.

....  :D  ....

new

coal fired power plants

in 62 countries

INCREASING

global coal-fired capacity by

43 PERCENT

....the more expensive funding will be to add to the economics or lack there of justification ...

:rofl:

Amidala

« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2018, 08:41:54 PM »
People seem to think they have a god-given right to sunny skies and warm days, so they move to warmer/ hotter climates, drawing on the limited water supply. Either way, regardless of causation, we are setting up future generations for water crises. And I wonder when the rich Arab oil countries will become desert ghost towns. Water can be a great equalizer, necessary for survival. Remember, those areas were once great rainforests, the source of their oil riches.

clp_lives

« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2018, 10:28:17 PM »

clp_lives

« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2018, 10:39:08 PM »
  So where did you find that fake news.  Claiming a 43% increase yet global coal usage is flat or declining despite a global population that is growing.  Again you give part of the story without supporting facts, clearly the countries outside of these "62" you claim are closing them at the same pace as these "62" are opening them and you seemed to forget to mention that.  For someone that claims to have so many facts you seem to omit the ones that don't support your case, dear.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-coal-iea/growth-in-global-coal-demand-subdued-over-next-five-years-iea-idUSKBN1EC0PP

According to a report published yesterday  (pdf) by Greenpeace, CoalSwarm, and the Sierra Club, the number of new  coal plants being developed around the world continued to decline  between 2015 and 2017. As of January, the world had seen a 29%  year-on-year drop in construction starts, and a 73% drop in them in the  past two years, according to the report (p. 4). Meanwhile, the number of  newly completed coal plants fell 28% year-on-year in 2017.
“With declining deployment and high levels of retirement, coal power  capacity is now caught in a squeeze: if current trends continue, by 2022  yearly retirements will exceed new capacity and the global coal fleet  will begin to shrink,” notes the report (pdf, p. 3).

https://qz.com/1235125/the-number-of-coal-plants-worldwide-is-shrinking-but-nowhere-near-enough/

Clearly that does not tell the whole picture.

....  :D  ....

new

coal fired power plants

in 62 countries

INCREASING

global coal-fired capacity by

43 PERCENT

....the more expensive funding will be to add to the economics or lack there of justification ...

:rofl:

gore range

« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2018, 01:25:34 AM »
So where did you find that fake news
Claiming a 43% increase
of these "62" you claim

....always telling when they insist on documenting their poor reading comprehension and failure to pay attention to detail, forcing them to just make crap up in lieu of a demonstrated ability to address the clearly posted and obviously cited points. :D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:56:18 AM by gore range »

Janetplanet

« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2018, 12:11:14 PM »
Go Michael Bloomberg.
handle every stressful situation like a dog.  pee on it and walk away.

clp_lives

« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2018, 02:34:06 PM »
Looks like a tsunami of change in just a few years, the future looks bright for clean energy, and not for coal.  In PA you can switch to 100% renewable energy from First Energy for the same cost as coal with a 2 year contract.  www.papowerswitch.com

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2018/04/22/google-amazon-push-power-companies-solar-and-wind-blow-coal/438020002/

"The smart ones are seeing it as a competitive advantage,"  the dumb ones, well they just complain about it.....
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:50:37 PM by clp_lives »

clp_lives

« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2018, 12:22:52 PM »
Times are changing even in countries like India.  Renewables today are cheaper than many of their own coal fired plants so this transition they are working on will save them money as well.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/energyinnovation/2018/01/30/india-coal-power-is-about-to-crash-65-of-existing-coal-costs-more-than-new-wind-and-solar/#5438c7a34c0f
India’s 2027 renewable energy target requires 57% of installed capacity to come from non-thermal energy, necessitating 21-22 GW annual renewable installations. CEA expects 317 GW peak national power demand in 2026-2027, 20.7% lower than its previous estimate, thus requiring no new coal capacity beyond the 50 GW of coal currently under construction.
Because power demand has risen slower than expected and renewable energy has come online faster than expected, national coal-fired power plant capacity factors (how often a plant runs) fell from 77.5% in 2010 to 56.7% in 2016-2017.Two-thirds of existing Indian coal generation is now more expensive than solar or wind generation , and keeping these power plants running costs India billions every year,according to Greenpeace research  comparing CEA 2015-2016 coal power generation data to new renewable energy project bids. At least 65% of India’s current coal power generation (94 GW of installed capacity) is being sold to distribution utilities at rates higher than the cost of new solar and wind. Roughly 30 GW of this total is more than 20 years old, and ran at a 53% average capacity factor in 2016.

gore range

« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2018, 01:30:12 PM »
INDIA saves money
this transition they are working on will save them money as well.

....good to know...

....always nice to save money

clp_lives

« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2018, 04:19:45 PM »
Of course as you know India does not pay everyone's electric bill so this has nothing to do with India's national debt, it is the individual families that would save if given the lower cost renewable alternative as their electric supplier.  You knew that but posted it anyway to prove I am not sure what.

INDIA saves money
this transition they are working on will save them money as well.

....good to know...

....always nice to save money

gore range

« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2018, 06:17:48 PM »
Of course as you know India does not pay everyone's electric bill so this has nothing to do with India's national debt, it is the individual families that would save if given the lower cost renewable alternative as their electric supplier.  You knew that but posted it anyway to prove I am not sure what.

....it's always telling when they have to make crap up which was never stated and endeavor to put in the mouth's of those that never stated such to argue with themselves ....

gore range

« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2018, 10:07:44 PM »
....it’s settled-

[/]

Lifetime

• Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2018, 07:27:28 AM »
I went to the site to check the cost of RENEWABLE electricity... ALL that were 100% able cost a lot more or were only within pennies, than what I presently pay. I live in Western PA. So much for savings. In the past I have changed suppliers on my energy but... after the "lock-in" period...the price jumped up a lot higher than if I had just stayed with my original supplier. It is a PITA to change out and eventually back.

And I am NOT a proponent of "MAN MADE" global warming. I do think we DO have Climate Change and the Earth has been doing that long before the first factory blackened the sky or internal combustion engine fired up. Where I live there is a State Park/lake called "Moraine State Park". It was formed by sediment and earth gouging caused by a glacier. This glacier came/and left (melted) this area... 20,000 years ago.  :o . We now enjoy the park as well as can see the round stones that were formed as the Glacier moved over the stones. Weather changes, why can't climate...due almost exclusively .... to the whims of "Mother Nature".

clp_lives

« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2018, 08:52:28 AM »
In the past when you changed electric suppliers it was much more difficult than it is today to get out of it.  Today they are required to give you 2 notices before the expiration of the contract.  I get them in the mail and call when I do so that it does not extend beyond the fixed price.  I only renew for fixed contracts that are 2 years or so so I don't need to change that often.  I won't get rich with the savings but in my case I support renewable energy so it is worth the phone call every 2 years.  Once my roof gets replaced I hope to add the solar panels directly to lower my bill that way and by then they may cost even less than today.  I say you can believe in global warming or not, but the reality is renewable energy has lower pollution overall and that is a good thing for the air we breath regardless of your thoughts on global warming.  Most I know would not want a coal fired power plant to be built next door for that reason even if they "support" coal.

I went to the site to check the cost of RENEWABLE electricity... ALL that were 100% able cost a lot more or were only within pennies, than what I presently pay. I live in Western PA. So much for savings. In the past I have changed suppliers on my energy but... after the "lock-in" period...the price jumped up a lot higher than if I had just stayed with my original supplier. It is a PITA to change out and eventually back.

And I am NOT a proponent of "MAN MADE" global warming. I do think we DO have Climate Change and the Earth has been doing that long before the first factory blackened the sky or internal combustion engine fired up. Where I live there is a State Park/lake called "Moraine State Park". It was formed by sediment and earth gouging caused by a glacier. This glacier came/and left (melted) this area... 20,000 years ago.  :o . We now enjoy the park as well as can see the round stones that were formed as the Glacier moved over the stones. Weather changes, why can't climate...due almost exclusively .... to the whims of "Mother Nature".
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.