Advanced search  
Recent posts
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[Today at 09:33:54 AM]
* CLP REPORT *
by gore range
[August 05, 2018, 11:36:45 PM]
Tell us how you hated 8 years of OBAMA and less than 2 years of TRUMP...
by gore range
[August 04, 2018, 10:25:07 PM]
....bang bang....
by lifefeedsonlife
[August 04, 2018, 12:01:35 PM]
No Topic. Anything Goes.
by gore range
[July 07, 2018, 06:26:30 AM]
More on climate change
by gore range
[June 27, 2018, 12:17:55 AM]

Author Topic: No Topic. Anything Goes.  (Read 1046276 times)

Amidala

• Self Important Starfish
Re: No Topic. Anything Goes.
« Reply #5970 on: June 18, 2018, 12:13:38 PM »
But my point is.. there is individual prep and there is social/group preparation, making the world safer, healthier, etc. You are both examples of my point. Its not a right/wrong issue but a choice issue.
Regarding my statement that I get a flu shot and carry a ruger:
 There are people who want to remove my choice for self protection using a firearm, there’s also a group against immunizations...
How far are we allowed to force fellow human beings to care about and act on what’s important to us? Because if it’s allowed, I’d force you all to eat cheeseburgers and travel on vacations out west the rest of your life.  Lol

I understand what you are saying, completely - Do the Canadian Rockies count as out west?? LOL - but MY point is that without some social/group intervention, we are being short-sighted with regard to mutant viruses and such, things we have no control over and can/will prove deadly to large portions of the population/species.  In an article I saw today, Bill Gates, who worries about pandemics/epidemics for us estimates that 30M could die worldwide without sufficient precautions in place for new mutant viral infection. Now, if the virus arose in the US.. 30M is 10% of the population - that's significant, medically, socially, etc.  (Estimated 50M died in 1918 epidemic.)

So the question is, lets say you survive but there are no services in place, no help for you, nothing as we know it. Wouldn't it be better to have "group" precautions in place to help preserve society or not? I think so, but not all will agree.  As an aside, has anyone watched the Netflix show, Last Man on Earth? It addresses this kind of situation thru a very dark but funny comedy. We are awaiting a new episode. Maybe its Hulu now that I think about it.

gore range

« Reply #5971 on: June 18, 2018, 02:19:32 PM »
There are people who want to remove my choice for self protection using a firearm, there’s also a group against immunizations.

....and a good portion of those self-entitled people (considered a racist term a good portion of the delusionally self-entitled) who want to eliminate your constitutional right to self protection .... are the very same people who pro-actively support eliminating the physical and legal protections of the national border, pro-actively support unchecked illegal immigration, unconditionally allowing - and they say deservingly, problematic illegal alien entering your community, ironically with the documented host of new invasive diseases,  because it is the illegal alien’s right to do so, as well as make you pay for it all.

Amidala

« Reply #5972 on: June 18, 2018, 05:35:41 PM »
Interesting article about past 'illegal immigrants.' If you are descended from European immigrant ancestors - and I suspect most of you are - think twice before condemning those who cross the border illegally or do other things to survive and thrive. Many of our ancestors stretched the truth to come to America, or to stay, or to survive. Past waves of migration were not always above board and 'legal.

https://whyy.org/segments/did-european-immigrants-come-to-the-u-s-the-right-way/

Lifetime

• Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #5973 on: June 18, 2018, 07:28:44 PM »
Not to worry.... Mother was mostly Cornplanter Indian... Father came on the boat from Greece to Ellis Island in 1912. He went through the humiliation of the PROPER authorities...who even shortened his name. He was required to have a sponsor..he did, and a promise of work...he had a job soon after his release from Ellis. Illegal is Illegal and at one time, we even had a STRICT number of people we accepted and what countries they were to come from... each had specific numbers. This issue has become so convoluted, the truth has gotten so gray... And life goes on.

Interesting article about past 'illegal immigrants.' If you are descended from European immigrant ancestors - and I suspect most of you are - think twice before condemning those who cross the border illegally or do other things to survive and thrive. Many of our ancestors stretched the truth to come to America, or to stay, or to survive. Past waves of migration were not always above board and 'legal.

https://whyy.org/segments/did-european-immigrants-come-to-the-u-s-the-right-way/

Amidala

« Reply #5974 on: June 18, 2018, 08:08:49 PM »
Names were not changed at Ellis - maybe mispelled but not changed. That usually occurred at the time of naturalization. A common misconception.

Amidala

« Reply #5975 on: June 18, 2018, 08:11:35 PM »
Have you done a DNA test??

Amidala

« Reply #5976 on: June 18, 2018, 08:54:48 PM »
And....were you raised Greek Orthodox, Lifetime?? Or no church?

Lifetime

« Reply #5977 on: June 18, 2018, 10:19:36 PM »

Sorry to inform.... my father's last name had 15 letters in it....they couldn't pronounce it and CHANGED it on official American documents,  to a 7 letter, shortened version. I have all the documents to show the change. He signed all documents with the shortened version.... up to and including the day he was naturalized... 44 years later.
Father wanted me Greek Orthodox but Mother wasn't keen on it and allowed latitude to seek which I wanted. I went from Orthodox to Baptist to Presbyterian to Westlyan Methodist with a taste of Bhuddism thrown in. Never found one that suited me. Right now, no particular theological road...
And no... DNA tests unless the military has a record. I rely on family documents like legal records and even bibles and church records that formed family tree..... births , deaths, marriages etc. History has been interesting as well as ancestors ..to include Harriet Beecher Stowe and even John Wheel... better known as Chief Cornplanter... a Seneca War chief. They lived in a place called Kinzua. The tribe was moved to Salamanca, NY when the government built the Kinzua Dam. DON'T NEED NO DNA TEST...😋
And... not so sure I trust these DNA companies. Bad enough that there is access to a lot of my info without paying to volunteer my most personal info.... We tend to throw our info out and not even realize how that might affect the ability to get a job or loan or even insurance. If they want my info...let them work for it on their dime.... NOT MINE.

[qduote author=Amidala link=topic=1524.msg60639#msg60639 date=1529366929]
Names were not changed at Ellis - maybe mispelled but not changed. That usually occurred at the time of naturalization. A common misconception.

Amidala

« Reply #5978 on: June 18, 2018, 10:59:26 PM »
I asked about DNA because it's very common for Americans to think they have Native American ancestry, but don't. Some people didn't want admit to bring  Italian or other darker skinned ethnicities, so they said they were NA. Good that you have some documentation.  DNA testing for ethnicity is no big deal - it still belongs to you, not the company. I've studied/read for hours and now have some friends in the professional genealogy world, including one whose day job is an attorney. It is great fun to discover new family. I found a brother!

As for Orthodoxy, I was raised in a Greek Catholic/Orthodox church, too, and I realised that my opinions are still heavily influenced by that theology - violence, guns, war, immigration, etc. I keep finding my thoughts more inline with the ancient, universal theology and not with modern American evangelicalism.

Obviously, yours are not. And that's fine.

Amidala

« Reply #5979 on: June 18, 2018, 11:14:40 PM »
This was from Wiki...FWIW

Cornplanter's descendants typically used the last name Abeel (or variants thereof) during his lifetime. By the 20th century they had generally begun using the surname Cornplanter and continued to be prominent members of the Seneca community. Much of the Abeel/Cornplanter family died as a result of the 1918 flu pandemic.[10] Artist Jesse Cornplanter was his last known direct descendant (1889–1957).[11]

Amidala

« Reply #5980 on: June 18, 2018, 11:35:53 PM »
I was reading about Cornplanter and his mother was the Indian Princess and his father was Dutch. Interesting. Since he lived 200 years ago. I wonder how much of the NA X chromosome DNA you have inherited, if any. Do you know how many generations you are removed from Cornplanter and his mother??

Lifetime

« Reply #5981 on: June 19, 2018, 08:36:15 AM »
"it still belongs to you, not the company" was an interesting statement... INFORMATION is the new GOLD... Companies compile it and it gets out 2 ways.... either it is BOUGHT... Your address has been bought and sold a million times.. Some of the buyers are insurance companies. The info is YOURS BUT... when access it given to people you didn't give permission to... an insurance company can get info on propensity towards certain diseases soooo they may not insure you or at a much higher rate... or..a perspective employer who might see you as a "risk" down the road and hire someone else. One of the biggest NON Governmental compilations of this type of info  is in Salt Lake City under Mormon Control. I know a few people who asked the Mormons about long lost family and low and behold...they had the info.
...My point is and has been, NEVER give up more info than you need to. I still have my old Social Security card and on it is a clause.. " NOT to be used for Identification". So.. now we have to give it up when doing applications to just about any services to include... every doctor or financial institution we go to. And now... for a "small" fee... I can get anyone's current SSN at several sites as we gave it out THINKING it was going to be kept just for the records and not SOLD. We now see where that goes... if the info isn't sold, it is gleaned from paper records and even unformatted/erased hard drives. This is also why I don't get involved in things like Facebook, twitter etc...One time I was curious and applied for a Credit Card and deliberately used the wrong spelling of my last name. They sent a card with the "error". Well it wasn't long before I started getting "Junk" or non-preferential mail from unrelated sources.. NUFF said on my part. You may only send your spit or blood to a DNA sourcer for heredity info or medical but... you usually pay for one and the company has both... to be given up willy nilly to those who $$$... Your call...

I asked about DNA because it's very common for Americans to think they have Native American ancestry, but don't. Some people didn't want admit to bring  Italian or other darker skinned ethnicities, so they said they were NA. Good that you have some documentation.  DNA testing for ethnicity is no big deal - it still belongs to you, not the company. I've studied/read for hours and now have some friends in the professional genealogy world, including one whose day job is an attorney. It is great fun to discover new family. I found a brother!

As for Orthodoxy, I was raised in a Greek Catholic/Orthodox church, too, and I realised that my opinions are still heavily influenced by that theology - violence, guns, war, immigration, etc. I keep finding my thoughts more inline with the ancient, universal theology and not with modern American evangelicalism.

Obviously, yours are not. And that's fine.

Amidala

« Reply #5982 on: June 19, 2018, 09:01:25 AM »
Well I'm friends with an attorney who also a leading Genetic Genealogist...Your so good at blustering, Lifetime, and you and Gore both have the mindset of paranoia 'They're Gonna Get Me, One Way Or Another.'

I learned a new word this morning, reading an Orthodox devotional : Philotimo. I asked the Church what the word meant, as I did not know or remember the word.c

"One definition: “Philotimo is that deep-seated awareness in the heart that motivates the good that a person does.”

My reply was that Philotimo is what we have lost in our culture.

Which circles me around to my original point on one of the topics - we can do things for our individual good (get a flu shot, carry gund) and can do things for the greater good ( support research + the CDCs efforts for the next pandemic, revise guncontrol to reduce/stop mass shootings,school shootings), but if we only do things for the individual good not the greater or social good, we will ultimately suffer and be unprepared. When we don't have Philotimo, love for our fellow humans, we suffer mightily, individually and as a group.

Thank you for your time.

Lifetime

« Reply #5983 on: June 19, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »
Thanks for calling it BLUSTERING... Maybe you do this because it doesn't AGREE with your mindset... Your choice..
And Gore and I have very little in common other than military service and he having a penis... I think... ??? . Paranoia is defined by the individual... It isn't Paranoia if.... it is actually happening.

And "Thank you for YOUR time"...as well

Well I'm friends with an attorney who also a leading Genetic Genealogist...Your so good at blustering, Lifetime, and you and Gore both have the mindset of paranoia 'They're Gonna Get Me, One Way Or Another.'

I learned a new word this morning, reading an Orthodox devotional : Philotimo. I asked the Church what the word meant, as I did not know or remember the word.c

"One definition: “Philotimo is that deep-seated awareness in the heart that motivates the good that a person does.”

My reply was that Philotimo is what we have lost in our culture.

Which circles me around to my original point on one of the topics - we can do things for our individual good (get a flu shot, carry gund) and can do things for the greater good ( support research + the CDCs efforts for the next pandemic, revise guncontrol to reduce/stop mass shootings,school shootings), but if we only do things for the individual good not the greater or social good, we will ultimately suffer and be unprepared. When we don't have Philotimo, love for our fellow humans, we suffer mightily, individually and as a group.

Thank you for your time.

gore range

« Reply #5984 on: June 19, 2018, 10:01:35 AM »
 you and Gore both have the mindset of paranoia 'They're Gonna Get Me, One Way Or Another.'

Pages: 1 ... 394 395 396 397 398 [399] 400 401   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.