Advanced search  
Recent posts
The Trump Administration
by IC2ITUC
[Today at 10:35:31 PM]
* CLP REPORT *
by gore range
[Yesterday at 08:23:50 PM]
Tell us how you hated 8 years of OBAMA and less than 2 years of TRUMP...
by gore range
[October 24, 2018, 10:54:50 PM]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hurricane Season 2010  (Read 5572 times)

NightmarePatrol

• Self Important Starfish
Hurricane Season 2010
« on: May 27, 2010, 12:54:57 PM »
I realize this directly impacts almost none of you except for Tife, Big Fatty and myself. Ko-Shin will get a big windy rainstorm worst case. The rest of you are as far as I know are pretty insulated from this whole thing.

The experts are predicting an active to very active season. Not that they have been exactly accurate, but I kind of liked last years season. Nice and quiet.

I hate to say we're due again, but we are.

TiFeMb

Re: Hurricane Season 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 01:02:27 PM »
A hurricane in the gulf would probably break up the oil a bit faster.  :rofl:

:'(

Puffin

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 06:27:17 PM »
I realize this directly impacts almost none of you except for Tife, Big Fatty and myself. Ko-Shin will get a big windy rainstorm worst case. The rest of you are as far as I know are pretty insulated from this whole thing.

The experts are predicting an active to very active season. Not that they have been exactly accurate, but I kind of liked last years season. Nice and quiet.

I hate to say we're due again, but we are.
NP, I have immediate family and grandkids on the ocean side.

Amidala

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 07:20:18 PM »
Well the hurricanes DO impact us when they carry a lot of water our way - creek floods, 5th ward, etc. I remember being up in Vernon and smelling salt air when one of the remnants came thru. Myself I worry more about tornados. Remembering the May 31st '85 mess and I lived in Sewickley at the time. Never saw such horrid looking sky!

Puffin

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 08:54:35 PM »
hurricane Camille is a good example of that

Amidala

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 11:12:46 PM »
Sept 07 or 08 we had a lot of flooding due to the remnants of a hurricane. The Republic of Taco Bell emerged... (when Taco Bell is surrounded by water)

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 12:04:22 AM »
Agnes wasn't any fun. I'd never seen anything like the flooding from that storm. Changed the landscape on a lot of streams in Eastern PA that one did.
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 06:46:03 AM »
I had the joy of being in Elmira, NY when Agnes hit. My stay was extended for another week. Being a kid it was kind of fun. Being an adult I realize what was at stake.

Amidala

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 01:32:27 PM »
Camille, I remember the ACE let the Point in da 'burgh be flooded. Very dramatic.

OL FATTY

• Apparantly Not Leaving
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 03:47:02 PM »
The wife and I are just setting here in central Florida waiting for the big one to hit us this summer. We've got the place nicely insured and we hope it blows the whole damn thing somewhere. We'll take the insurance and the contents insurance and split for a return to western Penna for the rest of our retirement years.
I just hope we have enough time to clear the premise before things get blown away.  BIG T...... settin here waitin.

TiFeMb

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 08:14:16 AM »
hurricane Camille is a good example of that

I went through that one in a frame house 1 mile from the beach in Biloxi, MS. Even as a kid, that wasn't fun. I always wondered what happened up there and if anyone realized how bad the devastation was. Now I know.  ;D

Puffin

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 12:15:33 AM »
The NWS is forecasting severe weather for tomorrow from Oklahoma thru Buffalo.

beanie

• Apparantly Not Leaving
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 04:23:04 PM »
Just saw this thread, don't know if it's still open? If a "big one" hits the Gulf side of FL, anywhere from Venice north, I'm in for a bad time. If any storm makes a bee-line for Tampa Bay, I'm in for a really, *really* bad time - anything over a strong level 2 or 3 storm and the area I live may become an island if the computer models are reliable.

I have been involved in the Emergency Operations planning where I work (upside: I have FEMA Emergency Management certification, lol)...my boss called me into her office this afternoon and asked me what it would take to buy...[wait for it]...MREs*.

* I had a previous boss who was all about the Avian Influenza, and insisted that we should purchase a couple hundred of those really expensive filtration masks. Thankfully, he was only interim and the management above him never implemented it.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 05:42:18 PM »
Go to mreinfo.com before you run out and buy them. The military ones are better quality, though I don't want to do a taste test between them. I've only had a few MRE's in my life and I was unimpressed. Pn the other hand if I was hungry I'm sure they'd do quite nicely.

Beanie, you must live in Pinellas based on your island comment. I am now on the very edge of evac "E". Which means I have to evacuate if a category 5 hits. I plan to be long gone before that happens. I rode out Frances and Jeanne in 2004 and they both went right over my place. Not too bad but I had a lot (I mean a LOT) of stuff to pick up out of the yard. Since out neighborhood was cut out of the trees we get it a lot less. The subdivisions that were plowed under before they started building got it a lot worse.

beanie

• Apparantly Not Leaving
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 10:52:19 PM »
I do. Living on a peninsula...which is on a larger peninsula...means crossing a bridge to get almost anywhere (in a reasonable amount of time). I live in a non-evac zone, but if the bridges go I'm SOL. Where I work is located on a harbor, so I can walk a couple of blocks and pretty much end up looking out toward the Gulf. I walk past the Fish & Wildlife offices that have become "central command" for the state's spill cleanup operations every day, and a couple times a week I walk past the R/V Weatherbird II (which I got to tour a couple of months ago).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.