Advanced search  
Recent posts
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[Yesterday at 09:03:16 AM]
* CLP REPORT *
by gore range
[August 05, 2018, 11:36:45 PM]
Tell us how you hated 8 years of OBAMA and less than 2 years of TRUMP...
by gore range
[August 04, 2018, 10:25:07 PM]
....bang bang....
by lifefeedsonlife
[August 04, 2018, 12:01:35 PM]
No Topic. Anything Goes.
by gore range
[July 07, 2018, 06:26:30 AM]
More on climate change
by gore range
[June 27, 2018, 12:17:55 AM]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: It's grasshopper killing season.  (Read 5722 times)

NightmarePatrol

• Self Important Starfish
It's grasshopper killing season.
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:02:55 AM »
Periodically we get a large influx of the "eastern lubber grasshopper" down here. They get about three inches long ans are nasty nasty little critters. I have killed about 20 of these in the driveway last week. Simply stepping on them is not enough to do them in. You have to grind them into oblivion with with your shoe to make sure they are positively deceased. The crunchiness factor is way up there too! The biggest problem is that nothing here eats them because they are toxic. They are hard to kill with insecticides too. So for now I'm doing an odd version of "clogging" almost every time I take the pup out.

TiFeMb

Re: It's grasshopper killing season.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:05:12 AM »
hmmm, I don't seem to get them 'up north'. Although they could hide in my yard with no problem, they just have to hide behind the beetles LOL.

beanie

• Apparantly Not Leaving
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 08:14:19 AM »
NOOOOO! Not the Lubbers, anything but that!! Most of the plants in my garden are doing great right now - I don't need the Lubber scourge tearing through my heirloom marigolds.  :(

Puffin

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 11:25:12 PM »
we have em here too. Thay will actually eat paint and wood.

E-L Man

• Yep, it's me.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 11:26:27 PM »
NP,,, I doubt if Zip is going to like your report. Grinding them into oblivion? Poor little guys!  :rofl:
I'm not the best lookin guy in the world but I'll do ya till he gets here.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 06:40:48 AM »
NP,,, I doubt if Zip is going to like your report. Grinding them into oblivion? Poor little guys!  :rofl:

That's because they don't live there. I am not squeamish at all, but these critters trip something in the back of my mind. I still terminate their voracious little lives. However anything that gets stepped on and will walk away from it a few minutes later just isn't right. Seriously, if you flatten one with your foot and don't apply your full weight, you hear multiple loud crunches, you remove your foot and see the exoskeleton has ruptured and there are bug innards spilling out of it. Now, if you leave it there and come back in 5 minutes it will be gone. Somehow they manage to get themselves ambulatory in short order and hop away.  This ain't right!

CindyLouWho

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 07:28:37 AM »
Anyone ever heard of a locust species that descends in the northeast?  My brother was telling me of this "biblical" locust event that happens every 17 years in Princeton (he doesn't know the entire area it covers) but says that they cover the ground literally like a carpet, you can not avoid stepping on them and the trees are encased in them and the sound of them is a deafening scream......this lasting almost a month.  I think he said the last one was 2004.  GROSS.
"Hold on tight to your dream"........Electric Light Orchestra

Zipper

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 10:54:15 AM »
I'll swat a skeeter in a heartbeat.

Mainly my "stance" is against cruelty. If you pulled the legs off of a grasshopper just to see if he could still hop... that's cruel. That's a human I don't want anywhere near me, or anyone I love.

Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.
Visit http://www.jakesblues.net and http://www.dirtydoglive.com

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 10:59:15 AM »
Don't swat it, you'll just make it mad. This one's not even full grown yet. I think this is the smaller male. The females are about an inch longer.

Puffin

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 11:19:46 PM »
Take them fishing.!!!  They make good bait.

precisionpest

• your local bugman!!
  • Won't Go Away
  • Runs with a sprayer too!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 12:58:27 PM »
good idea for fishing bait puff!!!  as i have posted before, this website offers PROFESSIONAL pest control products for sale, some of which i use! they are the concentrated  solution, nnot the watered down versions available at home depot or lowes. i use cy-kick alot up here, also termidor & phantom work great!!!! hardly any retreats need done!!
http://www.pestcontrolamerica.com/servlet/the-Termite-Control/Categories

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »
According to experts the only thing that will kill the adults is Carbaryl (Drexel Carbaryl), Cyfluthrin (Decathlon, Tempo), Bifenthrin (Talstar). I'd have to check on pricing and availability. I may not even be able to get the stuff without a license.

I don't know if fish would eat them or not. They big and wiggly, but they may taste bad. I'm not trying one to find out.

Puffin

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 12:18:01 AM »
Oh, fish like the bugs action on top of the water.
In Fla. the grasshopper season coincided with the alligator hatch. The lil gators went for em big time.

precisionpest

• your local bugman!!
  • Won't Go Away
  • Runs with a sprayer too!
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 01:16:10 AM »
cy kick will do it!!! trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!  or the others i mentioned. talstar is good i use it, also a knockoff called speckoz is good too!!! let me know. the site i listed is good, far as i know.....

np, if you're still having a problem, message me!

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 09:23:09 PM »
So today's project with the kids was going to be build a couple of bird houses. I decided to get the prefab kits for the sake of attention spans and my sanity. So we were at Lowes looking over the kits and my son decided he wanted "Bug Barn" instead. So what is not being held captive in the bug barn? A very small male grasshopper about 2.5" long. So now after spending all summer killing literally hundreds of these thing I am now tasked with keeping one of them... alive. Karma's a bitch I tell you!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.