[Yesterday at 05:58:19 PM]
More on climate change
by Amidala
[December 11, 2018, 12:31:16 PM]
....bang bang....
by gore range
[December 04, 2018, 08:37:38 AM]
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45   Go Down

Author Topic: Education . . .  (Read 156924 times)

lifefeedsonlife

• Self Important Starfish
Re: Education . . .
« Reply #645 on: August 11, 2014, 08:21:47 PM »
What the Modern World has forgotten about children and learning.

If you read one thing today - read that article . . . .
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #646 on: August 14, 2014, 04:39:29 PM »
Both kids are registered for school. That means next Monday our day will be in full swing at 5:30 in the morning. The only really big plus is the middle school bus top moved this year... to the end of our driveway. I'm up at 5:00 regularly so it won't be a huge intrusion on my life. The rest of the family... well, they will have some adjusting to do.

lifefeedsonlife

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #648 on: September 06, 2014, 05:03:52 PM »
Our son was invited to participate in this. I'm still not quite sure what exactly this is but we are going to let him get involved as it will at least provide him with a clue about what kind of testing he will get to go through in the future.

gore range

« Reply #649 on: September 24, 2014, 09:34:47 AM »
....Common Core education standards?

....the original common core standard which has been highly effective for billions and billions for millennia after millennia-

Small | Large

But then they invented the personal calculator thousands of years ago, and still used them :D -

[/]

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #650 on: September 24, 2014, 09:58:36 AM »
^ That ^ - - - different way of brain structuring math.
In other education news - the Superintendent of Crawford Central is retiring.
Handsomely . . . .

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #651 on: September 24, 2014, 10:06:44 AM »
When we went in for the "meet your teacher" day for our daughter (who is in fifth grade this year) we knew that the state was switching to "common core."  Not being shy about asking potentially uncomfortable questions especially where my family is concerned I did ask her teacher about it. She stated that all the teachers themselves were required (y the school principal) to take the common core test. She said it was amazingly difficult and even the teachers that were math-centric had difficulty with the test. Despite my daughters past scores I have no real hopes for a third letter of congratulations from the governor this year.

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #652 on: September 24, 2014, 01:06:40 PM »
Common core is a set of learning benchmarks - nothing more. They're actually not unreasonable. The issue a lot of folks are having is how a kid reaches those standards. That's on the publishers of curriculum . . . but then again, those publishers wee the ones who came up with the common core standards.

Benito Mussolini described Fascism as Corporatism - which is a marriage of government and a limited number of corporations. Americans (before WWII) were kind of enamored with the idea. One could make the argument we live in a type of fascist system in America today.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #653 on: September 24, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
I haven's see the test myself. I can say that I am amazed at what I actually remember AND what I have forgotten from my days in educational institutions. We'll see how it goes.

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #654 on: October 10, 2014, 07:27:16 PM »

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #655 on: October 11, 2014, 08:33:44 AM »
That's an interesting article with some even more interesting comments.

bighair80s

« Reply #656 on: October 11, 2014, 08:42:40 AM »
My nephew doing cyber school this year.  he is a total nerd just like NP.  He has been building computers since he was 9 and taught himself programming language.  he is outgoing and socially delightful.. He is flourishing in the schooling program this year. Jumping on to extra credit work and having time for running his own computer repair business. (he made his own business cards, lol)

I wish cyber school would have been available when I was a kid. I truly loved learning but did not fit the academic mold.  I have been taking free college courses on Coursera for awhile. I'm an A student now.  Heh
"this space for rent"

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #657 on: October 11, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »
Huh? I'm a nerd? Just because I'll be watching Doctor Who tonight doesn't make me a nerd.

I did not do as well in the public education system as I could/should have. I had some pretty bad "me" problems that I didn't get under control until later in life. Things like "authority", "rules" and "conformity" rubbed me the wrong way as a kid. Once I figured out how to work within the confines of the system (and make it work with me) life got a lot better. It doesn't mean I like them any better today, but I won't go out of my way to fly my little me flag in authorities face wither.

Cyber school is an open option for us. If the kids do well enough in the school system they have an option to take a test and providing they do well enough they can finish out grades 11 and 12 at the local state college. That means they will get an AA degree at the same time they get their HS diploma. All credits are transferable too. As long as we can influence the kids in the right direction that's an option.

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #658 on: November 24, 2014, 07:38:43 AM »
As Children's Freedom has Declined, So has Their Creativity
In my opinion - our current educational system is abusive . . . .

Amidala

« Reply #659 on: November 24, 2014, 08:55:11 AM »
How has children's freedom declined? I'm curious to see how you define it.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.