[Yesterday at 05:58:19 PM]
More on climate change
by Amidala
[December 11, 2018, 12:31:16 PM]
....bang bang....
by gore range
[December 04, 2018, 08:37:38 AM]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Sandy Hook/firearms  (Read 79587 times)

Lifetime

• Self Important Starfish
  • Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
Sandy Hook/firearms
« on: December 18, 2012, 07:49:15 AM »
I am offering this part of the forum to all who wish to post thoughts on the Sandy Hook incident and that of firearms/2nd amendment/legislative...etc. This will offer a site to go to and not be bombarded with posts within other framework. I, for one, have had enough of this turning into a political arena and we haven't even buried the last person.

I do feel for the families of the victims of all of this type of crime. I also am a staunch supporter of the 2nd as well. I have listened to people who mean well, but know nothing of what they are talking on the issue of LAW and firearms. So... that being said... I hope you use this room to post your thoughts so that others may choose whether or not they want to read them as opposed to them intermingled with other topics. IMHO

NightmarePatrol

Re: Sandy Hook/firearms
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 08:17:39 AM »
I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been brought up earlier. I know it's been a sensitive subject for a lot of people. I have friends that are at the extremes of the ban argument. I don't know if we're at the tipping point for legislation where people are going to reconsider bans, laws, restrictions or not. I personally have no use for an AR-15 or anything like it. I have no use for a Corvette either.  That being said there are far worse weapons that could have been used that are easily obtained and not controversial at all.

The mentally ill/disturbed/insert label here issue needs to be addressed. There are lots of people with unresolved issues will just go off. So "where there is a will there is a way" will come to fruition. It just may not be with firearms if those are not available. Taking these weapons off the market will not really change anything except for instilling a false sense of security in those that think they have solved the problem, at least until it happens again.

CindyLouWho

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:44:56 AM »
Marijuana and cocaine are both illegal.  It's illegal for persons under 21 to drink too.  Why would anyone think banning guns is going to change anything?  People who want to do illegal things will do illegal things. 
There has been a push lately to educate about mental illness.  To help people see it is a diease like any other.  I hope this push picks up steam.
"Hold on tight to your dream"........Electric Light Orchestra

gore range

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:28:44 AM »
….several ironies in play here-

-both the administration and Congress cut school security funding:

http://www.washingtonguardian.com/washingtons-school-security-failure

….funding for mental health care is historically a quick budget cut:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=mental+health+funding+cuts&oq=mental+health+funding+&gs_l=hp.1.0.0l4.1717.9931.0.14467.26.14.4.8.12.0.582.2431.7j2j3j0j1j1.14.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.R5uooVVlcPE&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.aWM&fp=dc17587a02ea41e0&bpcl=40096503&biw=1272&bih=817

….Sandy hook assassin Adam Lanza is widely reported to have had Asperger’s Syndrome; last week the American Psychiatric Association announced that Asperger’s is not longer a diagnosis in the revised Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, used to diagnose mental illness’ and provide clear definitions of what pattern of symptoms correspond to specific conditions:

http://www.nursingtimes.net/nursing-practice/clinical-zones/learning-disability/aspergers-not-in-dsm-5-mental-health-manual/5052637.article

…..on the other hand, Nancy Lanza, mother of assassin Adam, was receiving near  $290,000 a year in alimony, and clearly could afford treatment for the son, and yet …..there was apparently from all current reporting no mental health treatment provided to Adam….

But then, the system clearly work as Assassin Adam Lanza tried to purchase a rifle days before the attack and was correctly denied:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2249781/Connecticut-store-Sandy-Hook-gunman-Adam-Lanza-tried-buy-rifle-huge-sale-ammunition.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

….of course, the gun store is now making the bucks on ammo sales with the free advertising.

….historically, far cheaper to legislate gun control, and politically-correct,  rather than fund mental health treatment….

….but then, historically ‘mass killings’ have be carried out by certifiable mentally-disturbed males in gun-free zones…..as clearly there are no guns there….

….and not reported widely by the liberal MSM at all, when Adam Lanza first heard the sirens approaching, he immediately ceased killing innocents and shot himself; and last week when a legal concealed carrying private citizen drew on Jacob Roberts, the Clackasmas Mall assassin, Roberts immediately ceased firing, ran off to a back hallway and shot himself….

….when James Holmes entered my theater here in Aurora and killed 12 people last July, there were 6 theaters far closer to his apartment; and mentally disturbed mass assassin Holmes chose my theater because it is the closet to his residence which posted-

…. NO WEAPONS ALLOWED signs….

Lifetime

• Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 12:09:35 PM »
I think it was kept low on the radar to at least show some respect for a short time. This is what the NRA has done...they shut down their website as well as shut off the social networking to include.... speakers scheduled for a while. I am not a member of the NRA or GOA but in all of this I think it is THEY who have shown class by not making a circus out of this tragedy. There will be time to address the issues....once the last one is laid to rest. I look at those Aholes making hay as nothing but adventagious leeches. We are being bombarded 24/7 with the same soundbites of rabid legislators and no one seems honestly focused on the incident and those who were the target. Piss on the name and history of the perp and his family...piss on those elected officials who bring gasoline to this fire.... piss on anyone who makes this anything but what it is, at least until.. the families are afforded the respect they deserve. We can argue the SHIT later.... this is why I set this forum up.... to keep this off the screen for a while and allow those really interested to come here and post their thoughts to their heart's content.

Off my soap box...... for now....

I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been brought up earlier. I know it's been a sensitive subject for a lot of people. I have friends that are at the extremes of the ban argument. I don't know if we're at the tipping point for legislation where people are going to reconsider bans, laws, restrictions or not. I personally have no use for an AR-15 or anything like it. I have no use for a Corvette either.  That being said there are far worse weapons that could have been used that are easily obtained and not controversial at all.

The mentally ill/disturbed/insert label here issue needs to be addressed. There are lots of people with unresolved issues will just go off. So "where there is a will there is a way" will come to fruition. It just may not be with firearms if those are not available. Taking these weapons off the market will not really change anything except for instilling a false sense of security in those that think they have solved the problem, at least until it happens again.

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 02:19:36 PM »
The only thing i'll add to this discussion: If it's "too soon" right now to turn around and figure out what can be done to prevent this kind of thing in the future, then when is the right time?

It was too soon after Columbine. After Virginia Tech. After Gabby. After Aurora. After the mall shooting. After [insert any of the major gun homicides that now occur several times a year].

When do we finally address this problem? Or, ironically, does each new mass killing reset the clock with a new period when "it's too soon" to have this discussion?

gore range

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 02:56:54 PM »
....the sad truthful fact remains-

....there is no preventing this thing in the future; you can ban all the guns you want,  killings will continue....

....Barbra Mandrell was almost killed when she was seriously injured in a car wreck while driving her kids down the road one evening; a driver in the opposite lane intentionally suddenly turned into her onto coming car to commit suicide....

....wrong place, wrong time, nobody ever saw it coming....

....somebody wants to off them self, or some evil-possessed mental case wants to take folks out, its going to happen....

....China just had 23 elementary students seriously slashed by a knife wielding mental case; banning  knifes won't   do jack....

....per the FBI, the number one assault weapon-

....baseball bat....

....alligator tears induced gun-bans will do nothing to decrease violent deaths; but, irony of irony, the emotional heart-tug logic behind those alligator tears-

.....kills over a million infants every year....

....then too, those high end alligator tear, heat-tugged politicians pushing for gun control, will never given up their armed security....

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:11:46 PM by gore range »

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 03:34:43 PM »
The problem is there so many ways to commit mass murder. Guns just happen to be the first choice. Using explosives, chemicals or biological agents is above most people. I suspect the lowly screwdriver is high on the list of items used to assault people too. Let's not address the problem, but address something so someone can say they acted immediately upon this when the next election comes around. Crimes commited with guns are actually on the decline and have been for the past decade. Don't know why exactly, maybe because the bad guys don't know who has what.

No matter what, it's a tragedy... period.

Oh... the WBC plan to picket there too. Joy,

jimmyt

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 04:15:33 PM »
maybe it's time to put God and prayer back in the school, put the 10 Commandents back in the courthouse and the Nativity Scene back in the public square.....cuz what we got now sure ain't workin'......

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 05:02:24 PM »
I'm an advocate of self-control . . . but, where is that taught these days?
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 05:25:15 PM »
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 06:02:55 PM »
Right now they don't even have all the facts sorted out. First it was he had two hand guns in his possession and the AR in the trunk of his car. Now he had all three in the school. First he was buzzed in, then he shot his way in through the front door. The media is misreporting stuff right and left in their fervor to have the latest and greatest breaking news. I have head several accounts of how the gunman died. There was a senator from Missouri blasting the NRA for their statements on the news. The NRA has said nothing on this matter. I believe heir web site was taken offline or a few days as well. They keep talking about automatic weapons when no automatic weapons were used.  Facebook is dripping with misinformation, but that's status-quo there with the meme thing and all the other crap that floats across my screen there (yet I still go there).

Once the final report is filed then we'll have something to really go on. Until then... the lobbies are getting ramped for the next political melee set to take place sometime soon.

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 02:22:07 AM »
maybe it's time to put God and prayer back in the school, put the 10 Commandents back in the courthouse and the Nativity Scene back in the public square.....cuz what we got now sure ain't workin'......
Oh, yeah, all those nations full of religious zealots sure have brought generations of safe living and peace to the Middle East.

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 02:29:51 AM »
Once the final report is filed then we'll have something to really go on. Until then... the lobbies are getting ramped for the next political melee set to take place sometime soon.
No one needs any final report to confirm the blunt fact that more than two dozen innocent people were murdered by a heavily armed guy in that school. That fact had no shades of gray.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 06:58:45 AM »
No one needs any final report to confirm the blunt fact that more than two dozen innocent people were murdered by a heavily armed guy in that school. That fact had no shades of gray.

Nobody is debating that. It's the how and why I was referring to. The why may never be known but the how can be finalized.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.