[Yesterday at 05:58:19 PM]
More on climate change
by Amidala
[December 11, 2018, 12:31:16 PM]
....bang bang....
by gore range
[December 04, 2018, 08:37:38 AM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gay Marriage  (Read 2355 times)

NightmarePatrol

• Self Important Starfish
Gay Marriage
« on: July 09, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »
I'm kind of surprise there has't been any extended discussion here about the whole gay marriage issue. Personally, I really don't care. However I will leave this as a parting though on the matter.

Our social norms and mores have been drawn from what has been biblically stated or interpreted by the church. These values were handed down to those in charge from the church. When this country was formed may of those standards were brought with the settlers and original lawmakers in this country and its states. Gay marriage has been for years deemed "morally objectionable" by the standards of society. Since our own definition of what constitutes marriage in the traditional sense is that only a "man and a woman" may be married. So we have now been asked to essentially remove the "morally objectionable" portion of the norms and mores of our society to accommodate gay marriage. Fine, however now that the morally objectionable clause has been removed, how long will it be before the the polygamists challenge to have their practices legalized under the same paradigm. After all since marriage no longer has any morally objectionable clauses defining it, polygamy should be allowed too.

Like I said, I don't care. I just want to bring this up because it's going to be an issue sooner or later. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems pretty obvious.

I just wonder how may people will fly the "===" image on their Facebook profile picture for this one.

My 2 cents FWIW.

bighair80s

Re: Gay Marriage
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »
Sorry for yet another Goldberg reference but I think he expresses a point of view I have better than I can.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/343636/abortion-and-gay-marriage-separate-issues-jonah-goldberg

"this space for rent"

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 08:32:56 PM »
Don't care one way or the other. See . . . thing is, marriage discrimination isn't really an individual thing - it's a government thing. Who holds the monopoly on the 'recognition' of marriage? Who decides what marriage 'is' and what entitlements it imparts? Who grants a license to be married? And who deems people capable of 'performing' a marriage?

Marriage may have roots in religion - but it's not a religious thing by any stretch in the modern definition. My wife and I were married in a secular 'ceremony' by a J.O.P. in Las Vegas. My step-daughter and her husband were stationed in Iraq when they were married in a double proxy wedding in Montana. My wife and I, and my step-daughter and her husband, are JUST as married in the U.S. as a couple married by a Baptist Minister deep in the Bible belt. It has NOTHING to do with religion unless a couple wants to bring religion into it.

So . . . why is it we allow this monopoly on this one type of contract? (Because marriage is a standard legal contract drawn up by a State and which can be amended by prenuptial agreements should a couple choose to do so.) And why is it limited to one man and one woman? I would argue that's cultural. I mean - many Americans are all for gay folks being allowed to enter into the State sanctioned contract, but would be appalled at the idea of a man entering into the same contract with more than one woman - yet in a Muslim country the EXACT opposite would hold true.

Quite frankly - I think government should get the hell out of the marriage business. I think it would be nice to see contractual unions formed between consenting adults that would be a little less 'exclusive'. I mean - what if Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice drew up a contract between the four of them to share property,health decisions, inheritance, etc.? Why does the State have to be the final say in recognizing this type of agreement? As long as these contracts are entered into by consenting human adults . . .

And as far as kids go - attachment is what drives a healthy psyche. As long as they have one nurturing primary caregiver, with the aid of one (or more) secondary caregivers . . . they'll do just fine . . . .
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

Janetplanet

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:46:11 PM »
My husband and I were married in 1976 by a Methodist minister in my parents home.  My husband was raised catholic and he felt that I should decide anything that involved religion since I was a more active participant than he was.  We had two beautiful daughters and had a visit from our local priest telling me (threatening me) that my daughters were illegitimate in the eyes of the church and if I wanted to rectify it I would have to take the lessons and become catholic to save my family.  My husband literally grabbed this priest by his collar and threw him out of our house.  He was furious.Who are we to decide who should be allowed to marry?  Why should religion be involved at all?  Very similar to separation of state and religion to me.  When I heard the story of the woman who started this movement after her significant other passed and she owed thousands of inheritence taxes because of not being legally "married" I cringed.  I think we have a lot to learn from the generation following us about acceptance of differences.
handle every stressful situation like a dog.  pee on it and walk away.

gore range

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 11:59:27 PM »
`....with the plummeting heterosexual marriage rate-

....the lawyers are certainly not finding much objection in the anticipated increase in divorce income.... 

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 06:43:37 AM »
We got married in our living room. Our neighbors were witnesses and after the ceremony we all went out and had dinner. I'm interested in where this will all lead, not just from a perspective of social morality, but from a legal involvement as well. I find it interesting that individual states are taking this upon themselves to tackle since the feds have flip-flopped on this and generally done such a poor job in general. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out now that the "seal has been broken" so-to-speak.

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 02:09:50 PM »
I'm kind of surprise there has't been any extended discussion here about the whole gay marriage issue. Personally, I really don't care.
I'm not surprised, and i really don't care, either.

This is just another hot-button issue that matters only to a few zealots who use it to rally the troops to the polls or raise money, while the rest of us give it a resounding snore because it means nothing to us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.