Advanced search  
Recent posts
The Trump Administration
by bighair80s
[Yesterday at 11:04:44 PM]
* CLP REPORT *
by gore range
[November 17, 2018, 08:23:50 PM]
Tell us how you hated 8 years of OBAMA and less than 2 years of TRUMP...
by gore range
[October 24, 2018, 10:54:50 PM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Light bulb's (again)  (Read 3845 times)

NightmarePatrol

• Self Important Starfish
Light bulb's (again)
« on: September 29, 2013, 08:52:09 AM »
I know we talked about light bulbs a while back but I thought I'd update you on my "direction." To recap, I have only purchased one batch of CFC bulbs that came remotely close to the hype and they were fairly expensive. They even lasted pretty good, but not as long as promised. They were also daylight bulbs (my preference in lighting) The majority of the (sucko) CFC bulbs some in suicidal yellow which I dislike immensely. A couple years ago I bought my first LED bulb. It has been in a floor lamp (with dimmer) that sees the most "on time" of any bulb in the house. It has not been replaced yet. This lamp ate incandescent bulbs slowly and chowed down CFC bulbs every couple months. The LED bulb is still going strong.

So anyhow, the LED daylight bulbs out now provide the lighting I want and the price has hit reasonable levels. (meaning they are cheaper than replacing the sucko CFC bulbs 4 times)  I still have a small stash of the 60 watt bulbs that I guess will be slated for outdoor use. In the meant time the LED bulbs will be swapped in when the remaining bulbs fail.

Are they cheaper in the long run? Meh, nobody really knows yet. We only know the LED's in stuff made in this 80's is still working as well as they did when they were made.

bighair80s

Re: Light bulb's (again)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »
When we went on vacation we left a cfl bulb light on in our upstairs hall. When we got home discovered it had burned out. It not only burnt out, the bulb melted the ballast portionand the fixture it was in.

Never again.

We have been replacing them out with LED. An interesting story though is that there is an incandescent bulb that has been in the  basement for almost 20 years still operational!
"this space for rent"

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:51:37 AM »
There is an incandescent bulb at the Edison home in Fort Myers Fla that has been in continuous operation or over 100 years. It's huge and probably make the electric meter spin like a top though.

The new LED daylight bulbs make a nice pretty white light that doesn't hurt the eyes (as long as you don't look directly at it.

There are these to,o but to replace the 10 bulbs in fixtures we have in the house probably won't happen because of cost justification reasons.

TiFeMb

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 11:03:57 AM »
Thanks for the info NP! I will have to ask about that Edison Home light bulb the next time I go there, very interesting place! I need to go again because we didn't have time to read about all the inventions (dorky I know)

http://www.edisonfordwinterestates.org/

bighair80s

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 01:36:05 PM »
NP,a re those tube LED bulbs for use in florescent fixtures? It looks like the connectors are the same. If so I can see those as a good replacement in the shop. We have those skinny florescent bulbs out there for almost 7 years and one is flickering now.
"this space for rent"

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 02:31:24 PM »
They come in a variety of sizes and lengths. I believe they are a drop in replacements for a standard fluorescent bulb. I need to read up tome more how they work with the ballast. I still have almost a case of bulbs to go through. Even if I do, the tubes last a while and coughing up the money for a drop in like that is really hard to justify.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 02:57:28 PM »
I've never seen these before. This may be a solution for the overhead built-in fluorescent fixtures. I'd like to actually see some in the flash first though.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 03:03:28 PM »
It seems the options of LED lighting has gotten a LOT larger than the last time I was checking it out. Apparently I have a lot of research to do.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 07:20:03 PM »
Well conveniently and seemingly as if by divine intervention I happened to run into out facilities manager who said hey guess what I'm testing out in my office. I kid you not... LED light tubes! I had to see. Anyhow to use them the ballast get removed and the lights wired directly in. The tubes operated on anything from 120-277V and draw about 2 watts each. The looked great. Gues I'll start saving up for when use up all the old fluorescent tubes. So BH... there you go.

bighair80s

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 08:45:56 PM »
Ha!Thanks NP! That's news I can use!

Mr bh just bought another surface grinder for the shop.I bought an LED for the chuck light. We have our electrician (my brother,lol) coming over to wire in another one of those receptacles for 3phase.
"this space for rent"

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 02:19:24 AM »
the progress in lighting quality and price is impressive of late.

at home depot the other day, i saw some led bulbs in both harsh daylight and warm white, the latter damned close to the conforting incandescent glow we're used to. Alas, they seem to be limited so far to 40-60 watt equivalents; the ones twice that brightness that i like for livingroom fixtures aren't there yet.

sharon has new white LED downtown lights, and they truly are visible from space. I'm seeing the same in public spaces, from gas stations to hockey arenas. It's a nice, neutral white light. And bright as heck.

I've had a couple modern fluorescents burn out, and the olive color tint is a turnoff, though a dim one works fine over my kitchen sink.

i guess the big problem with any of these new bulbs is the cost and longevity. Like a puppy, once you adopt them, you're stuck with them for years, even if you don't like them.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 08:35:52 AM »
Actually I kind of like the daylight bulbs better for the kitchen, laundry room and garage.

I get the brightest tubes I can for the bathrooms. I considered switching to aquarium bulbs for the bathroom but they are just as cost prohibitive as the LED's and they cost a lot more to run. I really like the LED light panels but wow are they spendy.

I have one more complete set of fluorescent tubes since I bought them by the case to go through so I have a couple more years to go before I'll need to make a decision and by then things should be better and cheaper.

Spicoli

• Definately Not Leaving
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 05:38:47 PM »
I bought some cfl bulbs by mistake once.  They suck!  I'm in the process of hording the regular ones now.

gore range

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 06:31:13 PM »
....yea, they do suck....

....been hoarding incandescents here as well, I know them, I like them, I know how to adjust the camera for available interior light pics, and they are still dirt cheap while they last over at the commissary on base.....

...though, I have been adding an automated LED night-light system in the bunker using LED night lights, low-end motion detectors, and an out side electric eye....

....at night as I move thru the bunker, the LED night-lights are activated by the motion detector as I enter the room and remain on for a minute nicely illuminating where I'm headed or what need w/o having to turn on a brighter light....

....they are tied into a couple electric eye sensors I mounted out side to shut the system off during the daylight hours....

....it's running me way less than a buck a year to power the system, and the up front investment in the Wallyworld LED nightlights, and the $12 Home Despot motion detectors was easily justified, and I'm no longer fumbling around in the dark anywhere in the bunker, still living comfortably in the night-vision world of days gone by
:D ....

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 06:52:16 AM »
We invested in the motion night lights back in 2002 when our first was born. Some have already failed and have been replaced by the LED version. It's nice if you have get out of bed in the middle of the night to have the night lights come on and go off all by themselves.

A about 4 years ago I happened across a stash of about 30-40 of the 60 watt bulbs someone at work was giving away as they replaced all their bulbs with the CFL (Crappy F***ing Lightbulbs) variety. They have since left the company so I'll never know if they regretted that decision or not. I'd probably wager "yes" if I had to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.