[Yesterday at 05:58:19 PM]
More on climate change
by Amidala
[December 11, 2018, 12:31:16 PM]
....bang bang....
by gore range
[December 04, 2018, 08:37:38 AM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dollar this, dollar that  (Read 2864 times)

NightmarePatrol

• Self Important Starfish
Dollar this, dollar that
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »
I don't know how it is elsewhere, but where I live there has been a proliferation of dollar stores (Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Gimme Your Dollar, etc) at an alarming rate. There have been numerous reports in the news that a lot of the stuff being sold there isn't worth the cost of the match to incinerate it. On top of it all the price compared to the product size often makes a lot of this stuff more expensive than the name brand products.  I have been into a dollar store twice and was really perplexed by the array of unknown products, off sizes and general crapolla for sale. I realize people want a "deal", but they aren't getting one at these places.  So anyhow, these places are popping up faster than convenience stores and fast food places combined where I live. They're like a blight as far as I'm concerned. Just ranting here...

Amidala

Re: Dollar this, dollar that
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 12:08:45 PM »
Oh, NP, Meadville is the Dollar Store capital of Crawford County. We have them all, too. The only one I patronize is Dollar General. They have some nice, cheap multi-colored gel pens and other office supplies. I also got a nice polyester shower curtain liner for $5 last year. .. ... you have to shop wisely wherever you go.

bighair80s

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
yep. junk. overpriced junk. ive stopped on my way home from work to grab laundry soap and it was a odd size, name brand, overpriced allergic reaction in a bottle.  never again.

this is not politically correct but i have an idea their business model is to target people on fixed income or govt  assistance. posing as a bargain store. who gets screwed the most? the taxpayers. again. ugh.
"this space for rent"

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 01:01:24 PM »
As near as I can tell the only thing that resembles a deal there is greeting cards, gift wrap and crap that's given away as parting gifts for kids birthday parties.

TiFeMb

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »
They are a blight here too. I would rather see an abandoned strip mall, at least then only skateboarders and trick bikes are in the parking lot.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 02:32:52 PM »
What's bad is they are evacuating the strip malls and moving into their "little boxes all the same" store front. Even the auto parts stores are a lot more colorful then these things.

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 06:05:08 PM »
Actually, the walmarts of the world are affected by the growing number of these stores become some of them are selling name-brand things like laundry soap at a competitive price.  The convenience of being able to get into the store and out quickly makes this attractive.

at the same time, there are certain products where you don't need a name brand. Ammonia window cleaner or plain bleach isn't much different chemically with a fancy label on it.

Having said that, i agree that there are many other products where the customer isn't paying attention to the quantity or quality of the package. Flower seeds for 10c a pack -- with 0.5 grams of seeds vs. maybe 10 or 20 times that in a normally priced pack. Rubbing alcohol at 30% strength when you can buy as strong as 91% for not much more (the difference: water)

the packaged or frozen food in these places also tends to be heavily processed and full of fat and salt. It's pretty much the worst stuff you can eat, even if it is a few cents cheaper than a real grocery store.

As for the proliferation of chain drugstores and dollar stores everywhere, when you think about it, it's just a modern version of what we had a generation a downtown would have 4 or 5 drugstores, one on every corner, and in between were 5 and Dimes -- Murphy's, Kresge, Woolworth, and a host of local or regional ones.

Janetplanet

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 06:29:02 PM »
The General Dollar store near Conneaut Lake is always busy.  They carry bread and milk - and there isn't much competition at the Lake.  You have to know your prices.  I agree that greeting cards, stationary and party supplies are worth it.  Not much else.
handle every stressful situation like a dog.  pee on it and walk away.

Lifetime

• Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 07:46:58 AM »
Sometimes they are a great place to shop...not just party supplies but, those items we should stockpile... some of which are...

Toilet paper (2 ply at least)
Paper Towels
Toothpaste
Hand soap

There is more but it is up to you to figure out what they are.

bighair80s

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 10:50:40 PM »
I want to clarify something. when I railed about dollar stores selling junk for inflated prices I,in no way have anything against junk. I buy junk sometimes.its prudent to buy junk at times. I personally love to get cheap junk from yard sales, discount stores etc, and make them into my own creations.  I can buy a chair at big lots and tastefully decorate around it and not spend a forune, then not feel wasteful if I want to change it all in a few years.

I hope I didn't come across as pretentious. my point was that ironically, a lot of the goods in these stores are not a bargain! the same goods are many times cheaper at a Wal-Mart or grocery store yet these dollar stores pretend to be places with great bargains. I think advertising and marketing schemes  are dishonest many times. that was my point.

also, that laundry soap was not much cheaper than my regular brand but it was crap!! LOL
"this space for rent"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.