Advanced search  
Recent posts
* CLP REPORT *
by gore range
[Yesterday at 08:23:50 PM]
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[Yesterday at 08:00:30 PM]
Tell us how you hated 8 years of OBAMA and less than 2 years of TRUMP...
by gore range
[October 24, 2018, 10:54:50 PM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fridge shopping  (Read 2145 times)

NightmarePatrol

• Self Important Starfish
Fridge shopping
« on: August 06, 2015, 07:30:24 PM »
Holy crap have refrigerators gotten expensive!

Janetplanet

Re: Fridge shopping
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 07:45:42 PM »
tell me about it - needed to replace one last year and I let my husband do the shopping since I was working and he wasn't.  boy was that a mistake.  for $550 we got the smallest fridge ever.  unfortunately the appliances are aging - as we have been married 37 years.
handle every stressful situation like a dog.  pee on it and walk away.

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 01:00:41 AM »
when i had some rewiring done a few years ago, the electrician made a point of splitting the outlet for the microwave and 'fridge onto two circuits.

He said the additional power drain when the microwave was running was enough to strain the life of the motor of the refrigerator. Sure enough, a couple years earlier i had a refrigerator that died an early death after less than 10 years.

Years ago i had a friend who was picking up the phone to try to buy a new refrigerator via the yellow pages, which was an interesting task.

His problem with the old one? There was all this white stuff sticking out of the freezer, and the door would no longer close...

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 07:16:17 AM »
We got our current fridge shortly after getting the house. We went to the Sears "scratch and dent" store and got a pretty good deal on a Kenmore trio elite with the french doors and the bottom freezer. Three weeks before the warranty on the compressor was up the compressor failed. We got it replaced and everything was okay from there on. The problem is this is the first iteration of the french door design. There is no through the door dispensing of water or ice. To get water we have to open up the left door and get water from a dispenser on the inside wall of the fridge. Over time a slow leak developed and the frame has rusted to the point where the seal has cannot do it's job 100 percent. So yeah, we have nothing but gushing affection for the french door/bottom freezer design but this was the first attempt at it in appliance land and the bugs weren't all worked out yet. So it's time to dig deep I guess.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 10:54:38 AM »
Well that's done. I spent more than I wanted to but according to my better half we got exactly what we needed.

bighair80s

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 11:52:18 AM »
i loathe appliance shopping. i remember on this forum years ago.. my washer and dryer puked...  it was hilarious.

we have not had any appliance failures lately but we did have to spend a boatload of money to get some outside repairs done this spring. things like replacing the soffit, new upstairs windows, new front door, storm door...  hopefully just a few more updates and the house will be retirement ready. this house is small enough for ease of maintenance and affordability  if we are able to spend winters in  warmer climate. 
"this space for rent"

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 10:22:06 PM »
Well this is what we ended up getting. It's huge. It's overkill, but it's also what the wife was all gaga over. Sometimes there just ain't no talking her down when her mind is made up on something.

Amidala

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 10:35:20 PM »
I'd take one! It's great!!

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 12:14:50 AM »
We'll have it by the 21st. Maybe sooner, but not soon enough according to some. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.