Advanced search  
Recent posts
* CLP REPORT *
by gore range
[Yesterday at 08:23:50 PM]
The Trump Administration
by gore range
[Yesterday at 08:00:30 PM]
Tell us how you hated 8 years of OBAMA and less than 2 years of TRUMP...
by gore range
[October 24, 2018, 10:54:50 PM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broadband Internet  (Read 1929 times)

NightmarePatrol

• Self Important Starfish
Broadband Internet
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:54:32 AM »
This is an interesting article. It's also pretty telling about a lot of things. I realize it's may be one of those TLDR (too long didn't read) things for a lot of people. However, if you have the time it's well worth it.

lifefeedsonlife

Re: Broadband Internet
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 09:13:53 PM »
We are cord cutters. And we use a LOT of bandwidth at home. (Home education in the 21st century can do that.) For the phone - meh. Not so much. We're not heavy mobile users. Intersting to see it's peaked though for home use.
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

bighair80s

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 09:40:22 PM »
We still have cable. I really don't know why, because we don't watch that much TV. Well, I take that back, we watched quite a bit of bonanza, Daniel Boone, etc. LOL and naturally we watch the Pittsburgh Pirates, and the Steelers.
"this space for rent"

Jayhawk

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 05:05:41 AM »
yikes, i thought i was done reading that story when i saw the buttons at the bottom for pages 2 through 7. Never went any farther.

The only thing that would tempt me to become a cord cutter is the ever-increasing cable bill. I'm paying $190 a month now for broadband and a modest package of broadcast and cable channels (nothing premium at all like HBO or sports). Less than 10 yrs ago that was about $105. It's increasing at several times the rate of inflation, every year.

But i love the ability to have one-stop shopping: Turn the TV on in the living room or bedroom, browse the DVR cable guide, flip up and down and choose from a couple hundred channels, all in one place (admittedly, i only ever watch a couple dozen of them).

So to watch something i turn on the TV and flip the dial. I don't have to drag out the laptop or phone and go to a couple websites to locate content; it's all there, and i can record it to time-shift. If i'm lying in bed i don't want to have to have a computer on the pillow to watch the news or a movie.

I've never gotten into netflix, but that would either involve tying up the computer screen or hooking something up to the TV. It's bad enough playing a DVD on the TV and having to screw with Input Source settings before and after. Why would i want more sources of stuff?

And i don't get people who would watch movies on their 5-inch phone screen when they wouldn't think of having a TV less than 50". Heck, i own a 17" laptop because i like having all that real estate to work with and wouldn't want to go back to a 13" screen.

How can anyone surf the web for any meaningful length of time or purpose with such a tiny screen. Sure, you can check facebook or the game score, but for anything beyond that, why struggle? I don't get people who claim to be happy with just a phone for all their computing needs.

The other thing about cord cutters is those who say they get everything they need online. Maybe they can get a lot of what they need, but not all; much of it is cable/satellite only. And certainly not all in one place. It's like the people who give up their subscription to a newspaper and believe they are getting just as much local news from facebook or from 3-sentence TV stories.

the other thing that story pointed out is the divide between the broadband haves vs. have nots. Sadly, those who cannot afford broadband or, by geography, cannot get it are being left behind. No internet? No govt services or ability to apply for a job or do homework. Sorry grandma. Sorry kid.

that's the real digital divide, and it's just a modern version of people living out in the sticks not having electricity, running water or transportation.

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 08:06:18 AM »
I went out and spent $35 on the new Chromecast when they came out a couple months ago. I have to say this. I will never invest in another smart TV again. The chromecast does everything the smart TV does and does it a lot better, faster and more reliably. The apps also get updated and all you need is a tablet of phone. (android requires the Kit Kat or better version) The apps get updated regularly as well.

Personally I'm waiting for someone to come out with a streaming service that would offer the live news and have a netflix like interface for active shows that you could set up like a DVR. Once that happens we'll have no reason for a cord. Personally I could practically live without a TV, though I have to admit there's more good programming on now than there ever has been. There's also a glut of reality shows that that people seem to love for some reason. I'm surprised there hasn't been a seasonal show called "gift wrap" that portrays the gift wrapping station at the mall. To coin a phrase... "it can't get any sillier"

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 04:52:52 PM »
Sling TV is pretty close. There's about 20 channels on it and it doesn't include the the major broadcst networks. It's a subscription though that costs $20 a month. Debating as to its worth.
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 05:07:24 PM »
Yep, that's one of the chromecast apps. Hulu is pretty close too. Where it gets weird is all the pay channels like HBO, showtime, etc. We have series we watch on them and can watch what we want on the chromecast because we get the at no additional charge via our TV service. Still it has to be cheaper than the whole TV cable enchilada.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.