[December 15, 2018, 07:56:23 PM]
More on climate change
by Amidala
[December 11, 2018, 12:31:16 PM]
....bang bang....
by gore range
[December 04, 2018, 08:37:38 AM]
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 400 401 402 [403]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Topic. Anything Goes.  (Read 1270075 times)

Amidala

• Self Important Starfish
Re: No Topic. Anything Goes.
« Reply #6030 on: December 12, 2018, 11:00:38 PM »
For only the second time in human history, a manmade object has exited the Heliosphere and headed out into interstellar space. Farewell, V-ger 2!

https://www.thescinewsreporter.com/2018/12/voyager-2-has-just-entered-interstellar.html?m=1

bighair80s

« Reply #6031 on: December 14, 2018, 11:25:32 AM »
Gee and here I was feeling all accomplished running a new electrical circuit and installing security cameras and a smart doorbell over the last week. I'm and amateur.

Curious as to what security cameras you installed.  Iíve had Arlo wired (and a few wireless) for several years.  Theyíve been reliable overall but there are  new products coming out all the time.   
"this space for rent"

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #6032 on: December 14, 2018, 01:18:48 PM »
I have decided to go with the nest solution. In stalled a nest thermostat a couple years ago and it has paid for itself twice over in the electric bill reduction. It behaves weirdly and I don't fully understand why it does what it does but it knocked at least $30 plus a month off the electric bill.

So ling story longer I did the nest doorbell which has been awesome so far. I have two outdoor cameras up covering the entrances and will probably put up one or two more at some point so we have mostly 360 degree coverage. The down side to the nest is the monthly subscription fee if you want rewind on it. It's pretty impressive as it distinguishes between activity and people day or night. The high end ones will do facial recognition too.

I will say this about nest products. They do the best job of packing their product I have ever seen for a consumer-oriented company. It is simply stellar.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:39:12 PM by NightmarePatrol »

bighair80s

« Reply #6033 on: December 14, 2018, 03:53:56 PM »
I have decided to go with the nest solution. In stalled a nest thermostat a couple years ago and it has paid for itself twice over in the electric bill reduction. It behaves weirdly and I don't fully understand why it does what it does but it knocked at least $30 plus a month off the electric bill.

So ling story longer I did the nest doorbell which has been awesome so far. I have two outdoor cameras up covering the entrances and will probably put up one or two more at some point so we have mostly 360 degree coverage. The down side to the nest is the monthly subscription fee if you want rewind on it. It's pretty impressive as it distinguishes between activity and people day or night. The high end ones will do facial recognition too.

I will say this about nest products. The do the best job of packing their product I have ever seen for a consumer-oriented company. It is simply stellar.

Makes sense to stick with nest if you already have other of their products.  I had Logitech Alert system years ago but they pulled support from it so said I was finished with Logitech. Their camera resolution was second to none but almost all the cameras had a hardware fault so they abruptly dumped all support of them.  Just went with Arlo and added equipment and features over time.  I do like the ability to have a couple completely wireless cams that I can move seasonally or on stick anywhere on a whim. The arlo app is really polished now too. The software for motion detection and face recognition pretty good too.    Iíve got several cameras and itís nice to check things remotely as well.  We got it first for the shop when we had a lot of inventory in there. Donít need that anymore though.  I did catch a raccoon and her family  breaking in to the shop via the cat flap. Smart creatures those racoons, our cat door  only opens via the cats chip but the raccoon knows how to evidently follow on the heels of the cat.  😂 lol
"this space for rent"

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #6034 on: December 14, 2018, 04:13:56 PM »
Our cats never leave the house. Too many bad things here they can get into or that can get them. I go into the flea situation because it pervasive to say the least.

I was put off by the wireless cams that ran on batteries because well, batteries go dead and there is a ladder involved...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 10:33:00 PM by NightmarePatrol »

bighair80s

« Reply #6035 on: December 14, 2018, 04:27:14 PM »
Out cats never leave the house. Too many bad things here they can get into or that can get them. I go into the flea situation because it pervasive to say the least.

I was put off by the wireless cams that ran on batteries because well, batteries go dead and there is a ladder involved...
Our house cat never goes out, for the very same reasons. But we have two strays who live in the shop and they get really nasty if they donít get out to hunt. So they kind of come and go as they please. Along with the raccoons LOL, not really the raccoons donít come in anymore we made adjustments on the cat flap.
I donít like the battery ones either that well, but it is nice to have a couple to move at random or for specific surveillance.  The arlo battery ones now have dual capabilities, battery and it plug in.  Iíll replace the final two of my battery only cans with those eventually. The batteries arenít cheap either so itís not just a ladder issue. 
"this space for rent"

bighair80s

« Reply #6036 on: December 14, 2018, 04:41:43 PM »
To add: having the battery cameras is a little nice for when you go out of town you can literally put one in a tree, under the porch steps, on a upstairs window ledge for temporary extra coverage.  Weíve done that.  But as full time surveillance they arenít suited unless they are the dual powered ones. 
"this space for rent"

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #6038 on: December 15, 2018, 04:34:45 PM »
The wildebeest shot was epic!

Amidala

« Reply #6039 on: December 15, 2018, 07:18:31 PM »
Yes, it was. Speaking of Kenya .. all I can say is WOW, JUST WOW! Women have fewer rights in Kenya..in Africa, and although it is considered to be a Christian country - it is very ''churched.' Tribal traditions are still very dominant. So, this is a big deal for women, especially out in the tribal areas:. https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/qvdeq5/the-land-of-no-men-inside-kenyas-women-only-village?utm_source=broadlyfbus

Amidala

« Reply #6040 on: Yesterday at 11:07:23 PM »
Another, less contentious, historical tidbit. The New World Symphony is a classic favorite:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/14/arts/music/dvorak-new-world-symphony.html?smtyp=cur&smid=fb-nytimes
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 400 401 402 [403]   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.