[Yesterday at 05:58:19 PM]
More on climate change
by Amidala
[December 11, 2018, 12:31:16 PM]
....bang bang....
by gore range
[December 04, 2018, 08:37:38 AM]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations RE: Large Screen Tv Technology  (Read 6235 times)

bighair80s

• Self Important Starfish
Re: Recommendations RE: Large Screen Tv Technology
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 10:36:47 AM »
Thank you everyone!
We ordered the Apple TV 4K from the Apple store yesterday  Itís coming today. We donít have a 4 k tv just yet but the 4K device made sense due to its better,  most recent and powerful processor and when we do replace the plasma we will have the proper tech to utilize its resolution.   

Apple TV made sense to us. We already have Apple devices and subscriptions and will still be able to utilize our amazon prime through it. We are not deep into google either.  We do not yet have a voice hub like Alexa, but if we do we will go with Apple hub, itís not particularly feature rich yet but then again neither are we. Lol   It has supposed great sound and integrates with other Apple devices. As far as our local cable tv, it costs a lot and we utilize about 15% of the programming. We will certainly get use of the Apple TV and over the next weeks as we explore our options will be able to decide if we can eliminate what we donít use. We are not power tv consumers by any means so I think that part will benefit us. We dont use DVR either.  Thereís no need to record Hoganís Heroís.  Lol. We donít have anywhere near 40 devices connected to our internet, mainly our phones ,iPads,computers, security cameras and some audio equipment. 

Any Apple product weíve bought has always been solid and user friendly and the learning curve for us should be minimal.
Thanks for the input.  Mr BH and I read all your responses carefully,did some internet research and it helped us to better understand whatís available.
"this space for rent"

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 04:53:10 PM »
Now you have to get a 4K blue ray player to get the full effect!

bighair80s

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 10:11:13 PM »
Now you have to get a 4K blue ray player to get the full effect!

Oh sure, Iím sure when we upgrade the tv will get it then. We are having some fun with the Apple TV so it can wait. This thing does exactly what I hoped it would do. Makes our Apple content play on our tv, amazon prime works great, YouTube awesome etc! So much more useful than the smart part of our tv and blue ray.  One step at a time but I think this was a good decision.  Thanks again everyone!
"this space for rent"

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 10:20:33 PM »
If you don't get one with the TV or blue ray player, you will need a 4K HDMI cable. I doubt armstrong has any 4K content or if their tuners even support it.

bighair80s

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 12:05:12 PM »
I have hdmi cables fished behind the upper wall of the fireplace where tv is hung. When we get a new tv Iíll swap them out with 4 k.  Honestly I only chose the Apple TV 4K to ďfuture proof ďthe setup.  ( I picked this nonmenclature up on my google searches. Lol)

Hey np, how do I post a pic on here with google photos. I canít put one here as they are too big and also says not jpeg just jpg? Must be an iPhone thing. 
"this space for rent"

gore range

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 10:36:40 AM »
.... I suspect youíll likely have to move the phone pic to a separate photo-hosting site, i.e.- flickr.com, to upload it here. :-\

flickr lets me upload just about any sized photo to their site, but gives me an option to select the size of the pic I desire to post elsewhere.

Most of the pics I post here from flickr are around 1000x800 pixels. 

Tho, it does take just a bit to get familiar with flickrís system to utilize its services and offerings. There are a variety of photo hosting sites out there, so donít feel my choice is necessarily your best choice.

On the other hand, if you can Facebook msg the pic to me, Iíll be happy change it to the proper url you need to post it here and msg it back to you ;)

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 05:54:41 PM »
I've been trying to see how one can embed photos off and on when I get the time and google doesn't like it at all. However, what you can to is go into google photos, right click on the image and select "Copy image address" and paste that big url that inside the image tags and it will insert the picture.

bighair80s

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2018, 01:43:56 AM »
Just a few pics of the Apple TV set up.  Itís breathed a bit of life into the non 4K set. 
I canít take the credit for the pics though, I had some help...my tax dollars at work... :D   

"this space for rent"

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2018, 05:42:17 AM »
Looks like your tax dollars knows how to use a masks and transparencies in a graphics editor too.   :D

lifefeedsonlife

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2018, 09:53:38 PM »
Hahahaha!
For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

gore range

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 09:51:05 AM »
....the big screen experience and opportunities continue to rather amazingly evolve and expand....

The re-ordered large screen 1080DP 43Ē SCEPTRE upgrade TVs for the flight simulator are in the bunker. Initially, when I went over to the Wallyworld Neighborhood Market, a stand-alone Wally World grocery-only super market, to pick them up, I immediately saw they were the same three 4K UHD sets I previously ordered and returned. I previously ordered 1080DP sets, but returned them as I failed to notice they were 4K sets until I got them home. The flight sim program is reported by numerous users on social media sites as presenting several challenging issues running on a 4K monitor, ergo, returning the initial 4k sets as I indeed ordered 1080 DP sets, and submitted a new online order for replacement 1080DP sets.

With a copy of my 1080DP re-order in hand displayed conveniently on my smart phone, I  politely and very patiently explained the circumstances to the to the young, lightly acne-ed, rotund, high school-aged Wallyworld grocery store online pickup-counter  associate, and,  without  looking away from my phone, or even so much a  blink, he immediately and confidently relayed to me me-

....ĒNo problem. I have the very same SCEPTRE 43Ē set in my bedroom and I play my 1080DP online wargaming  programs all the time on it. The set will automatically sense the 1080 input and switch to the proper graphics-display mode. Just hook it up to the HDMI  port on the graphics card and youíll be good to goĒ

....who knew?....other than a slightly pimple-faced, overweight high school bedroom-recluse who likely spends weekend evenings pretending heís Rambo with scores of other Ethernet Rambo-s slicing and dicing digital Akmed-the-terorists in the comfort of Momís house while munching order-in Dominos and swigging six packs of Red Bull.

Times certainly have changed from the late-night TV weekend Ghoulardi the sole-TV-in-the-house  15Ē black and white-set, fuzzy pictured experiences on channel 8. But then, on weekend evenings these days, even I am likely Ďflyingí my old manís navy blue 1947 Stinson 4-place tail-dragger anywhere in the world while sitting at my temporary sim setup on the kitchen table while remodeling continues on the new FLIGHLINE ROOM in the upstairs spare bedroom-

I finally got around to opening one of the new 43Ē 4K sets, pulled it out of the box, easily propped it up on the kitchen table in front of the three monitor sim (....it weighs like 3 pounds!!!), and gang-wired it to check if indeed it performs as attested to by my high school tech wizard.

.... ;D ....

....the instrument panel of the old manís digital Ďblue-gooseí is now 1:1 full size   ....

....with 9.5 feet of 200-degreee view angle screen on the new wall mounted monitor display up in the bunker flight ops room, I just might have to put a seat belt on the desk chair :o .... [/]

bighair80s

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2018, 10:29:42 PM »
Thatís an impressive set up! Can I ask the flight sim software you use? And is it running on a PC windows platform? What type of graphics specs would you need to run it? We have a Dell Precision box designed to run Solid Works CAD/CAM  that we donít use now.  I think it  has an hdmi out on the graphics card but Iíd have to check.  It would be fun to have a dedicated pc to run a flight sim and even better if one we already own could work.  Years ago we had a flight sim program Mr BH used quite a bit. This was when he actually took flight lessons at the airport.  After he couldnít pass the medical he abandoned the persuit altogether.  Heís always had a deep love of flying yet ironically was disqualified to do it.  Since retiring heís stirred up that old interest. In fact, weíre going to Dayton in June to enjoy the Blue Angels Air Show and taking the kids. 

"this space for rent"

gore range

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2018, 01:18:29 AM »
....the sim is XPlane 11. XPlane is a unique flight sim program which is rather distinctly different from most sims available. I really like it a lot as it is as close as flying the real planes as I can likely get without paying big bucks to sit in a commercial grade training simulator.   

I ran several Microsoft Flight Simulator sims for decades and thought it was the eagleís delight. Little did I know.

However, XPlane is a rather high data-demand program and I run it on a dedicated PC. And thatís all I run on that PC. I added a small, second Ďregularí PC to access and view the online world data base of navigation charts on a fourth, smaller monitor.

The sim machine contains an Intel i5-7500 Quad 3.4GHz core processor with 3.8GHz Turbo, has 16 Gigabytes of DDR-4 2133MHz RAM- expandable to 32GB for future growth as I add features,  has a 1TB 7200RPM SSHD Hybrid Hard Drive, and a Nvidia GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5 video card containing three HDMI graphics ports to drive the three monitors. The base operating system is Windows 10.  Itís not your basic run of the mill Wallyworld off the shelf desktop PC. XPlane 11 requires 20 GB of free disk space.

There are a ton of XPlane clips on Youtube covering all kinds of XPlane features. Odds are if Mr. BH watches them, Christmas will likely be coming early.

Dayton? Save some coin and take the $75 ride in the restored Bell Vietnam era Huey!!!
http://www.daytonairshow.com/uh-1h-huey-helicopter-rides/

bighair80s

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2018, 10:14:14 AM »
I did a search on that flight sim software and got the hardware specs needed. Weíve got three pc boxes here but each one would need something upgraded to work with Xplane The Dell Precision has the better graphics and Xeon processor but the XPS Box has an earlier Intel i7 quad core processor but the graphics card would need replaced. The third box probably isnít worth upgrading.  All would need memory.  Iím going to ask the 16 year old family computer expert to look into hardware compatibility.  It might be smarter to get something newer and already up to specs.  Thanks for the help and info. 

Thanks for the tip on the helicopter ride!  Going to look into this. Not sure if we can find time schedule it in.
****[edit to say Mr BH says we can FIND the time to take the helecopter ride, have to ask kid parents if they are ok with it.  Lol  ]

Weíve got the kids for three days there but their parents are picking them up in Dayton on Sunday then continuing on to Glacier Bay in their motorhome to start their vacation.   Summer goes by too fast. Ugh.  Kids donít get out of school till mid to late June and marching band camp starts in July I guess....
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:28:33 AM by bighair80s »
"this space for rent"

gore range

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2018, 04:54:49 PM »
....do the Huey, and you'll never watch another Vietnam flick the same again for the rest of your's or f the kid's lives  ;) ....

I suspect you can get away with running the XPlane baseline program on lower-capable PC and single monitor if you donít  jack up the scenery texture  and number of world objects options which come with the baseline system too much. When you start adding scenery density to the scenery graphics, it starts consuming RAM, which then starts decreasing the frame rate of the graphics presentation. Drop below 15 frames or so a second, and the view starts to become jerky.
[/]

XPlane provides a baseline simulator platform with semi-generic scenery graphics, upon which users can download a cornucopia of add-ons/upgrades to rather dramatically enhance the already impressive graphics displays. Of course, increased data management and utilization require increased machine capability.

Once you settle on a machine, you can download a free XPLANE trial to check it out, and see if the machine is capable of running the program-

http://www.x-plane.com/desktop/try-it/

Of course, interests  and desires then start to add up,  and decisions likely will need to be made, i.e.- going with a simple Microsoft like stick controller, or up grading to more capable control yoke, rudder pedals/brakes, throttle quadrant, etc.

Thereís a fair amount of plug-in hardware and software available which significantly enhances the already impressive XPlane 11 experience, a good number of which can be examined at
http://store.x-plane.org/  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.