[December 15, 2018, 07:18:31 PM]
More on climate change
by Amidala
[December 11, 2018, 12:31:16 PM]
....bang bang....
by gore range
[December 04, 2018, 08:37:38 AM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holiday start  (Read 801 times)

Lifetime

• Self Important Starfish
  • Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
Holiday start
« on: November 22, 2018, 11:54:03 AM »
  We now break into the Holiday Season. The first of Feast and Memories as well as time to appreciate. The refrigerator is full of foods in one step or another of becoming epicurean delights. The baking may have been a day or so early...smell of pumpkin and fruit pies...the bird thawing to the last and or the ham scored and cloves pushed in place. This is the beginning of the time clock of hustle and bustle of the upcoming holidays.

So ...what does this mean to us..perhaps it is of a passing of someone we cared about and... maybe an addition to our lives. In our house... loss of my wife's mother, our dog , Penelope... but a gain for us.. a brand spanking shiny new Basset, Cleopatra. She will not replace Penny but she will have an equal part of our hearts. Now our loved ones gather.. is by plane, train or automobile or...just a short walk. Anticipation, and sometimes thinking... maybe we should have been closer.

To some, it is the hard but heartfelt job of doing the meal so all will enjoy...meat too well done...gravy too thin, pie just not quite right but..in the end..it is thankfully and joyously devoured. After the meal... dishes washed and waiting for room to occur for the desserts... maybe the TV blaring the football games or glancing through the ads for the deals for Black Friday. A madhouse and melee to get the best Christmas gifts at the best price... Or.. in PA, the men, and some women get their heart set on the opening of Buck Season on Monday.

Whatever the thoughts and deeds happening or planning.... it is together. In between the eating and perhaps feeling satiated and tired... we all just look around and smile.. be it the "Favorite" child or relative/friend.... even the "crazy" uncle. This is but the opening bell of a time that is suppose to be joyous or at least with good memories. Not all are here to enjoy this, some can't get "home" be it traveling or caught up in the uniform of our country, maybe eating their turkey out of a can if they have turkey at all. Been there, done that. But what remains constant... is the visions in the minds and knowing that family and friends, Hopefully, take a day off of differences...other than White meat or Dark and which team is best.

May you all have a Great Thanksgiving and let some of it slide to the future...through Christmas at least. 

gore range

Re: Holiday start
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »
....the Christmas shopping was done this week pre-Black Friday, with wrapping completed yesterday. I just finished loading the truck with the mobile digital technology, mobile analog hands-on tool box, and some needed supplies, and now heading out on the back roads into the high prairie desert for a week of relaxing paying-forward pro-bono assistance, remodeling, and various projects in the stateís most economically depressed region.

....may the holiday season bring all the appreciation of the untold blessings we have the amazing fortune to experience....

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 06:33:02 PM »
Nice sentiments. We just finished cleaning up. I was once again scolded for making too much. Making the right amount on Thanksgiving is no small task. In fact it's about impossible. The leftovers are however all packed up and ready for reheating. My final thought that I kept to myself was of course "We all ate today and nobody goes to be hungry. Not everyone gets to do that". Now to wait for my stomach to make room for the pie.

Hope everyone had enjoyable day.

bighair80s

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 11:38:30 PM »
Thanksgiving is my favorite.  The past two years have taught us to live in the day, and living in the day really is rooted in gratitude.

Happy Thanksgiving 🦃🍁🍽

"this space for rent"

IC2ITUC

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 11:34:44 AM »
I had a nice Thanksgiving here at Rehoboth Beach with my New Family, since most of my own family and relatives in the Meadville area have either 'passed away' or moved from the area.  I went to 2 TG dinners and gatherings here at the American Legion and VFW.  I made my "famous" deviled eggs for the VFW spread and had a lot of compliments about them.  There has been no snow yet all season, as they don't get much here by the ocean, of course.  It has been unseasonably Cold the last 2 days especially at night (upper 20s to low 30s).  Tomorrow and Sunday the day temps will be in the upper 50's which is still a little below normal but another nice thing here IS THE GAS PRICES.  A local radio station (WGMD - a CONSERVATIVE LEANING station--Oh Oh  Sorry, I forgot !) reported our gas prices were about the lowest in the nation.  I filled up Tuesday for $2.17.9  The 2 previous weeks it hovered around $2.25.9.  I feel sorry for you PA people that have to pay such a high price now due to the increase in your State gasoline tax.  Nice to hear that many had a nice gathering with your families and loved ones.  Take Care and after the Holidays are over and some of you gain some extra weight, I know you will be able to burn some of that weight off by shoveling snow !  If I was there, I'd volunteer to help you with it.
"There are few bargains in parachutes or healthcare"!  "The Mind is like a parachute, it functions best when open"!

IC2ITUC

• Won't Go Away
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 11:40:53 AM »
Got to the beach yesterday and filled up the "buggy" (darn quotes again ) for $2.12.9 per gallon but I see from the Tribune that you guys got some beautiful snow.  It can help a number of you to get more into the Christmas Spirit as it would me, if I was there.
"There are few bargains in parachutes or healthcare"!  "The Mind is like a parachute, it functions best when open"!

bighair80s

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 11:28:08 AM »
Hoping you all have a nice holiday.  Iím having family over for dinner and I always love that. 

Anyone have any exciting plans?
"this space for rent"

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 01:22:33 PM »
Just hanging out in the swamp. The shopping is mostly done save done stocking stuffers. Presents are wrapped and under the tree now that the kids are old enough.

Amidala

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 02:49:51 PM »
Our local radio station, Cool 101.7, has been playing Christmas music since Black Friday, and it's WONDERFUL! All kinds - classical, pop, country, jazz, TSO, just all different covers of all different songs - songs I've never heard before, songs that never made the hit list. It's been thoroughly enjoyable!

So if you're not a Scrooge about Christmas music, you'll like this station. Give it a try.  🎶😊🌲

And Lonny Boy in the morning is pretty good, too.🎶

gore range

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 06:13:30 PM »
....was just coming down Curry Hill and had to do a double take hearing it on COOL 107 :D -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9URPvejWHk

Amidala

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 07:56:23 PM »
I Missed THAT ONE!! 🎶😂🤣😂🎶

We ran into the Station Manager ( a former student ) last weekend and he was telling us about his strategy this season, which I thought was great - all the different covers, songs not normally played. 😎😎😎😎😎 Very entertaining imho.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.