[September 12, 2018, 02:39:09 PM]
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sad day  (Read 608 times)

Lifetime

• Self Important Starfish
  • Honk if you've not seen a gun fired from a Harley
Sad day
« on: September 16, 2018, 10:01:04 AM »
Yesterday at 12:30PM, my buddy, Penelope Rose ( our Basset) left us. She was 7 years old and we found out late that she was in stage 4 Renal. We did our best to administer several pills and even 1000ml Lactate Ringer 2 or 3 times a week. In the end... the impurities beat us and her. Right now, our home and the back seat of our car is too quiet. I can almost hear her nails on the wood floor, and still expecting to be nuzzled. We have a hole in our home and our hearts. She was the best dog we ever had... a friend, companion and there even when we felt down. Not just a dog but a part of our life and heart.

While wife was at work, she was always close to me no matter where I was in the house and she went with us everywhere we went in the car. The hurt is fresh and at our age, not sure we will want another as it hurts too much to "say" good bye. Pets/Companions steal a piece of the heart and take it with them.  :( :'(

Amidala

Re: Sad day
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 12:26:03 PM »
I am truly, truly sorry, Lifetime. We lost our first dog 7 years ago and I still miss her and think of her almost daily. My heart breaks for you. Big Hug.

Janetplanet

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 07:07:55 PM »
My sympathies to you and yours.  My heart knows what you are feeling as our dear 16 year old dog passed almost two years ago and my heart was also broken.  I still listen for her.  Funny about time though, the first year I just said my heart wasn't ready whenever anyone asked if we were getting another dog and just yesterday I stopped at the humane society to "look".  Maybe my heart is getting ready.  Again, sorry for your loss. 
handle every stressful situation like a dog.  pee on it and walk away.

Lifetime

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:05:35 AM »
Not sure if we are ready for another ...NO OTHER can replace... just continues the Journey. My wife sits at the computer and looks at the Basset sites. Friends and Family offer their advice...just too soon. I know if she does want another...it will be another basset and the same color. Penny was a pup rescue from a mother who was in a Mill. The next one will cost but.... it was never about the money. Hell...as I looked around our kitchen, it looked like a Vet office... pills, liquids, paraphernalia. Tubes , needles and bags of injectable fluids on the table. Now it is cleared away and those remnants of our efforts are gone. Toys are boxed up and stored but still find her hidden treats she never got back to. Everyday ...for now... is a tear and a cry.

I have dealt with Human death better...at least humans can express themselves through their ordeals... with pets..it is a hope that we are doing the right thing. I hope there is a place in Heaven for our pets and I pray that someone there will rub Penny's tummy once in a while.

bighair80s

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 10:38:07 AM »
Lifetime, so sorry about your Penny.  :(  Here’s a commentary on a chapter of C.S. Lewis book “The Problem of Pain”.  It’s admittedly a theory of his but it’s rooted in reason with a dose of humility.  While not answering the question the book opens up a thousand more questions.  It affirms the wonder of the world.  I think you and your wife would enjoy. 

“ Do Animals Go to Heaven? C.S. Lewis on Animal Immortality
When a beloved pet dies people can feel desperate to know if animals, at least some animals, have
an eternal destiny. The Bible does not say one way or the other, but C.S. Lewis gives animal lovers
reason to hope. Although he acknowledges that his ideas are only guesses, what compelling guesses
they are, and how comforting to those of us who have loved an animal. Lewis discusses animal
immortality in Chapter 9 of his book The Problem of Pain, in which he discusses the theological
issues involved in animal suffering. Lewis asks the question of how we can reconcile God's justice
with the pain of innocent creatures who can neither benefit from nor understand their suffering, and
finds no answer in this world. Therefore, he ventures forth to consider the mystery of animal
immortality and how it might work.
Lewis jokes that he has been warned, presumably by his colleagues in academia, that expressing
theories about animal immortality will put him in "the company of old maids" - in other words, saddle
him with the stigma of sentimentality. Lewis defends the value and intelligence of old maids, states
that he has no objection to their company, and then proceeds to present his ideas on the topic: "The
complete silence of Scripture and Christian tradition on animal immortality is a more serious
objection," he says. However, this silence does not mean it is not true. God simply does not reveal
any information to us about the purpose or destiny of the animals: "...the curtain has been rent at
one point, and one point only, to reveal our immediate practical necessities and not to satisfy our
intellectual curiosity."
 Animal immortality connected with a sense of self
Lewis explains that immortality would have no meaning to a newt if the newt had no sense of self.
However, a higher animal with some awareness of self might benefit from continued existence after
death. There has to be something of an individual entity there in order to have something to
continue. Lewis conjectures that as Man is understood by his relation to God, perhaps beasts can be
understood by their relation to Man, and through Man, to God. In opposition to the naturalist view
that the taming of animals is interfering with their rightful natural state, Lewis presents an
alternative view of the relationship between human and beast:
"Man was appointed by God to have dominion over the beast, and everything a man does to an
animal is either a lawful exercise, or a sacrilegious abuse, of an authority by Divine right. The tame
animal is therefore, in the deepest sense, the only 'natural' animal--the only one we see occupying
the place it was made to occupy..."
 Animals receive sense of self through contact with humans
Lewis believes that animals receive a sense of self or personality from association with their human
masters. We give our pets names and they answer to those names (hopefully), and perhaps
recognize themselves by them. "If a good sheepdog seems 'almost human' that is because a good
shepherd has made it so," says Lewis. Lewis suggests, acknowledging that he is going out on a
theological limb, that animals "attain a real self in their masters in a sense similar to the way human
attain real life in Christ." "And in this sense," suggests Lewis, "it seems to me that certain animals
may have an immortality, not in themselves, but in the immortality of their masters. 

The picture of the good man/dog relationship, admits Lewis, is an ideal one. It does not explain the
destinies of wild animals or of badly treated domestic animals. But in his view, this is the natural
relationship between man and beast, the relationship that would be normal in an uncorrupted world.
Immortality for wild beasts?
Lewis admits that immortality may seem like a rather clumsy solution to the problem of animal
suffering. Even if animals that suffer pain in the wild or ill treatment by humans are granted happy
pastures in an afterlife, this sort of compensation does not seem quite worthy of a just God who
might have prevented the suffering to begin with. But if, he suggests, animals naturally receive
immortality through a relationship with man, it is not necessarily an injury/compensation system at
all, but rather, the natural way the system is designed to work: "...part and parcel of the new heaven
and new earth, organically related to the whole suffering process of the world's fall and
redemption. 

Lewis says however, that his theory does not allow him to believe that many animals in the wild state
attain a self that is sufficient to achieve immortality. However, it may be God's pleasure to endow
beasts with qualities such as courage or humility that can survive into eternity. Even if such is the
case, Lewis believes that the animals' immortality would somehow relate to the value humans place
on it for certain perceived spiritual values that it embodies.
Hope for animal immortality
Lewis readily admits that all of this is guesswork: "When we are speaking of creatures so remote
from us as wild beasts, and prehistoric beasts, we hardly know what we are talking about." For all
we know, these beasts have a corporate self: it will not be the individual lion that survives, but some
sort of "Lionhood" that will enter into eternal life. This surviving entity may be something that is
simply beyond the scope of our corporal understanding. Animals that have enjoyed a positive
personal relationship with a human, Lewis believes, have a better theological chance at immortality.
So we just don't know for sure whether our dog went to heaven, but scripture does not deny the
possibility, and C.S. Lewis gives us some imaginative ideas to give us hope that we may see Bruno
again, running toward us across a green field in Paradise, tail wagging.  “
"this space for rent"

Lifetime

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 12:17:41 PM »
I have sent this to many of my friends who lost...never figuring that I would need it...
                         ....for your beloved Fur Child                       
                                           The Rainbows Bridge Poem

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.                         When an animal dies that has been             especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are             meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play             together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm             and comfortable.           
             All the             animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who             were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them             in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content,             except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who             had to be left behind.           
             They all run and play together, but             the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright             eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the             group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and             faster.           
             You have been spotted, and when you             and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion,             never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands             again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of             your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.           
             Then you cross Rainbow Bridge             together....           
             Author unknown...                   

NightmarePatrol

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 06:50:14 PM »
Sorry for your loss. It's tough when you lose a pet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

A random picture
Sorry, you need to be logged in to view the gallery
Portal Management Extension PortaMx™ v0.957 | PortaMx © 2008-2009 by PortaMx corp.